DVDVR Message Board

Free Comic Book Day 2016

The Natural

My third FCBD since the comic book shop closest to where I live opened in Feb/March 2014.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

There's a limit to the number of books you can pick there, usually two. It's a later start for it compared to the previous two.

I'm going for Avengers #1 as it's Avengers, a tease of Civil War II and I believe Dead no More when a Spider-Man character is what the title says. My second book will be either Suicide Squad #1 or Captain America #1. I do like the look of Bongo Free-For-All and Doctor Who: Four Doctors Special.

• Like 1

Only things I'm getting for sure are Avengers (for the new Wasp) and ROM. Austin Books allows up to 10 picks, and always has a ton of stuff like dollar #1 reprints available as well.

Edit: and remember, don't grab shit you don't want just to make a quota. Stores pay money to give these away.

Edited by Cliff Hanger
Word and addition

We are allowed 4-5 at my shop. I will probably pick up the manga freebies. The Marvel/DC stuff just isn't interesting me all too much. At most I might check out Captain America.

My LCS, Best Comics International in New Hyde Park, NY always takes care of me, they pull anything they think I might want, they also have huge sales and signings. Greg Pak is coming and I'm super excited about that. I really enjoyed his run on Batman Superman and on Action as well. He also wrote my 17 month old daughter's favorite book, ABC Disgusting which she makes us read multiple times a day.

I was kind of underwhelmed  at the selection this year.  Then again I feel that I am getting into one of my "moving away from comic /disenfranchised fan" kind of swings.  I really need to find what I loved about comics in the first place.

It's interesting to see what Marvel-created stuff IDW got to keep for ROM and what they didn't.  The Dire Wraiths still have the same gimmick and name, but they look completely different.  No reference to ROM's home planet etc. but the overall story seems to be the same, kind of a weird horror-tinged thing.  I liked it enough to try #1.

Gave my thoughts on the Marvel stories in the Marvel thread, haven't read anything else (I also got Street Fighter V, Doctor Who, March and Tick).  The Sidekick Store (an overstock/remainders bargain shop attached to my local pusher and only open on weekends) had Essentials for $5, so I grabbed X-Factor v1, 2, and 5. (grumble grumble missing the one with Inferno and Judgement Wars).

i was a bit underwhelmed as well. my LCS changed ownership during the past year, and there were a ton of releases we didn't get. whether that's because the new guy didn't order them, or he got shorted, i don't even have a guess, but the selection was pretty minimal. He also did next to nothing to promote it, only hanging a small poster by the door a couple weeks ago. Also, he opened early but didn't tell anyone, and then booked a Magic: the Gathering tournament for all afternoon, thus leaving little room for the comic book fans.  Just a bit disappointing after the last couple of years seeing kids and parents all over in there, checking out not only the free books, but there'd always be a Batman and/or Spider-Man display set up.

Not many of the books looked very appealing to me anyway, but i generally pick up the new Tick comic every year. i did grab Civil War II, Suicide Squad, the Valiant sampler, and ROM. the ROM comic was pretty decent. Haven't read Suicide Squad yet. Valiant had some pretty interesting setups that i most likely won't follow thru with. Civil War II leaves me intrigued. i'll probably end up picking up the series. damn you marvel!

The Dire Wraiths were part of the original backstory from Parker Brothers.  Fun fact, Rom was sold as part of the Action Man line in the UK.

It's so weird that Marvel just kept on using stuff from Rom well after their license expired.  Micronauts too.  Hasbro knew what they were doing when they made sure to retain ownership of anything Marvel debuted in GI Joe and Transformers.