DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

So is this the UFC's equivalent of giving Ray Rice a 2 game suspension?  I mean $25K for being tested for cocaine and that is the only punishment seems light.  I mean I am surprised they punished him for anything given how they have coddled him the whole time

Don't all big money sports have one set of rules for the big stars and another, much longer and much more strictly enforced set of rules for the no-names?

I think it's more of a case where the commission and the UFC got caught with their asses in the wind. The Ray Rice situation was where the league had virtually no choice but to punish Rice severely. It just so happens that Goodell made an awful decision before going with a more apprioriate disciplinary action (at least by public standards and perception). In the case of JBJ, they (both NAC & UFC) had no real grounds to punish outside of the code of conduct. Add in the fact, they weren't even suppose to test for what Jones failed for. Hence why the NAC really had no substantial response to this whole situation at their last meeting. Thus it's obvious why they need to rewrite those rules to change what is effectively out-of-competition and what is in-competition. Also, work on cleaning up their testing procedures.

FWIW Dillashaw vs. Barao II and Rampage-Fabio "Fabolous Fabby Brawlgame" Maldonado along w/ Rory-Lombard is now official for UFC 186 in Montreal. Whoever looks the best out of the latter fight and Hendricks (if he wins)-Brown will challenge Lawler for the belt.

This might be impossible, but I feel like there simply needs to be some third party coalition that has the power to regulate and drug test all of MMA.  Not sure if that's feasible, but a regulatory body that would have the power to drug test, regulate, punish fighters and they would have the purview to do so.

UFC can say they are regulated by the government and its in the hands of the commission.  However, they still run events where there is no commission or regulatory body in place where they essentially have to regulate themselves.  So there is still technically a conflict of interest there.

Teddy Atlas brings this up all the time for boxing, but it just won't work. In an ideal world, the athletic commissions are suppose to do ALL of that. That's their whole purpose. Someone brought this up to me on Twitter a couple years ago. My answer is still the same. All you're doing is creating another organization for Zuffa to ignore. You are about as legitimate as WAMMA because you start off with no power at all and don't have the potential to gain it. In boxing, the IBF and WBO only became legit recognized belts because credible world class fighters were fighting for them. Not due to people splitting off from the WBA and WBC because they saw those two orgs as evil and easily consumed by favoritism.

In addition, you're creating another organization that will fall into the Good Ole Boy Network. You don't think they can't find another round of individuals who are willing to be corruptible? Floyd Mayweather and others get slapped on the wrist because they keep that venue open and line their pockets with money. It might start off with the best of intentions (EVEN IF the 0.1% chance of Zuffa recognizing them came through), but that whole moral compass thing will erode quickly.

Was talking about this with a friend last night. It's not because of Fox conflicts, it's because the Final Four is that night and they would get absolutely slaughtered.

They already went against March Madness with Shogun-Hendo II and did perfectly fine. Bellator 113 was the one that got creamed by the tournament that week IIRC. I am thinking more along the lines that they (Fox) want to do updates of the semi-finals and you can't do actual coverage/analysis during the fights (even though they throw it to the APG people sometimes). They can pretty much kill two birds with one stone.

With all due respect, Shogun-Hendo II went up against the third round of the tournament. This show would be facing off with the semifinals.

It's still March Madness and basically all day slate of games at that. I'm pretty sure they knew what round the tournament was going to be in coming up with the schedule for this year. They could have put the Fairfax show on that Sunday between the semis (Sat.) and finals (Mon.).