DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Sub-Zero MMA ‏@SubZeroMMA 8m

Urijah Faber vs. Raphael Assuncao headlines UFC Fight Night on March 21 in Rio de Janeiro.

BTW the 2/22 Porto Alegre show (Bigfoot vs. Mir) sold out today. For some reason, I believe they are not going to miss the services of Grace Tourinho.

What the flying fuck?  I thought Assuncao had like a broken ankle?  UFC 186 with Barao/Dillashaw II is in April, after this fight.  Seriously, what the fuck?  He tweeted this less than three weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/RaphaAssuncao/status/551563779800973312

Urijah Faber vs. Raphael Assuncao headlines UFC Fight Night on March 21 in Rio de Janeiro.

BTW the 2/22 Porto Alegre show (Bigfoot vs. Mir) sold out today. For some reason, I believe they are not going to miss the services of Grace Tourinho.

What the flying fuck?  I thought Assuncao had like a broken ankle?  UFC 186 with Barao/Dillashaw II is in April, after this fight.  Seriously, what the fuck?  He tweeted this less than three weeks ago:

I think FRB tweeted news of the fight about a week or so ago but I wanted a more reliable source to confirm it. I guess it wasn't that injured. I mean Heather Clark went from torn ACL to beating Bec Rawlings in the span of a couple months. Maybe people in MMA are getting magical pro wrestling regenerative healing powers.

I think FRB tweeted news of the fight about a week or so ago but I wanted a more reliable source to confirm it. I guess it wasn't that injured. I mean Heather Clark went from torn ACL to beating Bec Rawlings in the span of a couple months. Maybe people in MMA are getting magical pro wrestling regenerative healing powers.

Or there using Soccer magical healing spray they use in the World Cup.

Also I believe Heather Clark held off surgery to fight Rawlings then had the surgery because I remember Tate saying how she drove her to the hospital a few days after the fight on FS1 probably an episode of UFC tonight or one of those preview shows.

After reading what FRB tweeted and assuming its accurate, Assuncao apparently would get the fight after a medical test would clear him to go.  And by that time, Barao/Dillashaw II was already signed.  So I guess because Assuncao and his manager are idiots, they opted for this fight.  I say he is an idiot because he has done nothing to make fans care about him getting a title shot.

Assuncao vs. Faber II makes no sense. Faber already beat him handily at 145 lbs. and this is just going to kill off Assuncao as another possible contender. I know they're just doing this to justify giving Faber another title against TJ as I'm sure they're pushing for him to beat Barao again, but it makes no sense to kill off another potential contender in a fight like this.

Assuncao vs. Faber II makes no sense. Faber already beat him handily at 145 lbs. and this is just going to kill off Assuncao as another possible contender. I know they're just doing this to justify giving Faber another title against TJ as I'm sure they're pushing for him to beat Barao again, but it makes no sense to kill off another potential contender in a fight like this.

*ahem*

Yeah but when push comes to shove will they fight?  I know White said they'd open up the check book for that but, but is it worth sacrificing a ready contender when the fight may not even happen?  

If that's the fight they wanted...why not just book it now?  Barao screwed over a PPV main event by not making weight.  Cruz was injured.  We thought Assuncao was out at the time.  If they really wanted that fight that much, they should've just made it now.  Barao arguably didn't even deserve the first rematch the way he lost.  

Yeah but when push comes to shove will they fight?  I know White said they'd open up the check book for that but, but is it worth sacrificing a ready contender when the fight may not even happen?  

If that's the fight they wanted...why not just book it now? 

It wasn't so much missing weight as it was passing out before he can make weight. I know, semantics.

This may be a very calculated move on their part. Force them to fight by giving them no other choices. I mean someone could move up or down, but we saw how that worked with the Pettis and Aldo negotiations. If Faber beats Assuncao (which most probably think based on first fight), that eliminates that problem. Dillashaw beats a Barao that doesn't come in weight drained, then it proves it's no fluke. Dillashaw can either fight Faber or wait until Cruz comes back. Sitting out at least six months and possibly longer would not be preferrable IMO.

A little followup on the bantamweight title picture: On the WOR Awards show, Meltzer said that UFC was leaning towards Dillashaw vs. Barao II. When the UFC was trying to make a title fight, Assuncao basically wouldn't give them a date when he would be ready to come back. So they went with the fight they wanted anyway. Then, they made Faber vs. Assuncao II obviously. So this is all on Raphael.

• Like 1

Not on par with the Anderson Silva or Luis Santos front kick KO, but still:

I was wondering why the rounds were set for 3 minutes and then I saw the fight. I think it's for the best.

Anyway, there is an interesting development happening. Cris Cyborg is defending her Invicta FW belt against Charmaine Tweet. The plot twist? It's a day before UFC 184 on 2/27 and in Los Angeles at the Shrine Auditorium. Maybe Lorenzo's magic actually sorta worked?

At the moment, Invicta is Fight Pass exclusive.

Speaking of the women, Germaine de Randamie returns against Larissa Pacheco on the Dallas show. Also, Julianna Pena returns against Milana Dudieva on the Fairfax show.

On the roster trimming side:

Igor Pokrajac, Mike Rhodes, Sean Soriano, Tom Niinimaki were all released. In addition, Akira Corassani is leaning towards retirement.

• Like 1

On the roster trimming side:

Igor Pokrajac, Mike Rhodes, Sean Soriano, Tom Niinimaki were all released. In addition, Akira Corassani is leaning towards retirement.

was surprised to see Pokrajac released. Until i looked it up and found out he has 5 losses in a row.

Rodrigo Damm is also finished with UFC.