DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I wonder how all this is going play out because 5/23 is JBJ/Rumble, 6/13 is Velasquez/ Werdum, and 7/11 is Aldo/McGregor. Lawler is expected to return somewhere in that timeframe. Although it could be the 189 co-main event, I am not ruling the welterweight title fight headlining 7/12 or the July Fox show in Chicago. Someone is going to end up with a Rousey co-main either way.

We got have a Kickstarter for Chris Weidman to find new body parts:

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 7m

Weidman injured, Belfort fight scrapped; Rousey vs. Zingano headlines UFC 184 http://sbnation.com/e/7718660 

I'm guessing Belfort fights Romero since why the fuck not.

Edit: Torn rib cartilage and return set for April/May.

Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz 37s

Ray Longo told Combate TV Chris Weidman had "a freak accident in a weird spot" while training wrestling. Said Weidman feels bad for Belfort.

Dan Henderson has fought 3 times since Belfort beat him in Vitor's last fight.

I agree with him.  However, he's scheduled to be in the co-main event tomorrow.  Not sure what the UFC iShow mes willing to offer him.

Dave Sholler say's it is on and it's moot now, but they could have easily bumped McMann vs. Tate to the co-main. Fox might be a little pissed, but it's not like Lineker vs. McCall is a bad FS1 prelim headliner. I mean "Strasser" Kunimoto was out there headlining the prelims not too long ago.

As far as Ronda goes, I think the Holm vs. Pennington co-main gimmick is kinda intriguing. It could also backfire because Lenny Fresquez might not put Holly in there with Ronda yet for a couple good reasons. First, they didn't go to Europe to fight Cecilia Braekhus in boxing and that would've crowned the best female fighter in the world. She would have gotten paid more in that fight than what she will get paid in her 2nd UFC fight. Second, I think Holm has said it herself she has a lot of work to do before fighting Rousey. If you know Fresquez is a notoriously hard dude to deal with (his dealings with the Sauerlands and the first Holm/UFC negotiation) and Holm might not call her out if/when she wins, you might as well have tried to get Yoel Romero or Vitor a tune-up as a co-main instead. I think that's very, very risky long-term. Short term, it can help the PPV do decent business by selling people the Rousey/Holm angle. However, people will be pissed if it doesn't happen and ends up being the winner of Bethe Correia/Sarah Kaufman or somebody who won't help promote the fight.

You also have to take into account that Ronda is also very low-key since she has more responsibility with her personal brand and her movie career. She most likely isn't going to do what use to sell her fights back a year or so ago.

Probably not with Holly Holm making her debut next month.  Not that she will get a fight with one win.  But they are probably looking for fresher opponents for Rousey before rematches with Tate who she has finished twice and McMan.

Or Zingano can always get an upset :) .