DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Fertitta says that either Frankie Edgar or Cub Swanson could step up for an interim title bout versus Mendes if Aldo can't go in October.

Even though Aldo got hurt days before the announcement was made, what he suffered doesn't sound like shit you just need 45 days to get over.

If the belt does not fit, you must strip.  Strip Aldo of the title.  Give Swanson his title shot.

So they are just skipping 176? How embarrassing. There's gotta be some reason but why not just move the numbers around. What a shebacle.

If there is a reason it's probably print and advertising purposes.

If it was the title challenger in Mendes who got hurt the card would've been more salvagable but losing the champ makes it much harder since you can't have a title fight anymore.  Plus it might be easier to get more takers for stepping up on short notice if they know its a title fight and not just a random contenders fight.

I think it's a complete joke.  You're running fight pass, holding two events on the same day, events on back to back days, events multiple weekends in a row and you end up having to cancel shows altogether.  Not to mention most of these shows suck at this point.  There's usually one relevant fight on each show and then it's filled in with guys you've barely heard of.  Events had more depth when there were actual other competing organizations that existed and that had legitimate fighters.  You would think that with the UFC buying up basically every worthwhile organization that's existed and signing nearly every relevant free agent that it would have made for some stacked cards.  Quite the opposite.   

Am I the only one who thinks the whole UFC presentation is rather stale. I'd love to see them run a much smaller venue and see how that comes off.

Another idea is replace TUF with something different or really shake it up. My idea is you tour the country and have 2 local guys fight for a chance to get on the UFC's radar. You hold these fights at smaller clubs where the people are super close to the action. You got a rabid crowd of friends and family rooting for their fighter.

Am I the only one who thinks the whole UFC presentation is rather stale? I'd love to see them run a much smaller venue and see how that comes off.

Another idea is replace TUF with something different or really shake it up. My idea is you tour the country and have 2 local guys fight for a chance to get on the UFC's radar. You hold these fights at smaller clubs where the people are super close to the action. You got a rabid crowd of friends and family rooting for their fighter.

Outside of a new graphic here and there, the UFC is terrified to innovate.  As Goldberg says, "Everything else is virtually identical." TUF was a rip off of WWE's TOUGH ENOUGH and the only changes they've made in 20 (!!!) plus versions is removing physical challenges and doing one season semi-live.  Their refusal to adapt/change has been part of the downfall.  

Yeah that wouldn't be a costly, logistical nightmare at all. Nope. It's not they didn't send a mat with all the sponsors to the wrong continent a couple months back. Also, most states aren't about to let you run exhibition fights outta nowhere. Utah and Nevada will let you do it.

The trainers will have none of that. I doubt you're gonna tell Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn, who've both been training people for more than a dozen years, how to conduct a training camp. Not gonna happen, cap'n. 

Vitor 'Shaolin' Ribeiro is going to referee Jerrod Sanders-Yosdenis Cedeno & Leslie Smith-Jessamyn Duke at UFC Fight Night 45 on July 16.

Maybe Shaolin can hold a private BJJ seminar with Duke because you can't get any further apart in terms of skills on the ground.