DVDVR Message Board

Canelo vs. Khan (5/7/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Khan-VS-Canelo.jpg

Canelo vs. Khan 
May 7, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBC & Ring Magazine Middleweight Championship: Saul Alvarez © (155) vs. Amir Khan (155)  (first defense)* - Alvarez, KO (straight right), R6 (2:37)
David Lemieux (160)  vs. Glen Tapia (159.9) - Lemieux, TKO (corner stoppage), R4 (0:56)
Mauricio Herrera (145.5) vs. Frankie Gomez (146) - Gomez, DEC (unanimous)
Patrick Teixeira (159) vs. Curtis Stevens (160) -  Stevens, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:04)

Free Preview Preliminary Card:
Diego De La Hoya (122) vs. Rocco Santomauro (121) - De La Hoya, TKO (referee stoppage), R7 (1:59)
Jason Quigley (160) vs. James De la Rosa (162) - Quigley, DEC (unanimous)
Rashidi Ellis (150) vs. Marco Antonio Lopez (148.5) - Ellis, DEC (unanimous)
Lamont Roach Jr. (132) vs. Jose Arturo Esquivel (132) - Roach Jr., DEC (unanimous)
David Mijares (139.5) vs. Omar Reyes (141) - Mijares, DEC (unanimous)

*Catchweight of 155 lbs.

Attendance: 16,540
Gate: $7,417,350
Buyrate: 460,000

I would hope it wouldn't end like that as where does Amir's career go after that? I'm rooting for him, and as long as he doesn't go toe to toe, uses his jab and stays away he could pinch it. But there's always been a question mark around his jaw, even though he's proved he can take a hit or two, and Canello is KO King

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I would hope it wouldn't end like that as where does Amir's career go after that?

Khan is teasing an MMA career.  I hope he is joking.

He does own significant shares in SFL; an MMA outfit based out of India and the third largest in the world.

I seriously don't think SFL is the third largest MMA promotion in the world. The proof is what exactly?

Once Canelo disposes of him, he should fight Kell Brook. However, he won't because that fight makes too much sense. Instead, he will chase Floyd for another 3 years.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2016 at 11:53 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I seriously don't think SFL is the third largest MMA promotion in the world. The proof is what exactly?

SFL's broadcast deal with Colours puts them in 500 million homes in India alone and they are rushing to fill in the Asia MMA void left by Pride FC and DREAM.

Whether or not anyone in India bothers to watch their events or how soon they will begin to make money remains to be seen. 

Size <> Profit.

Anyway, as for the question of Amir Khan in MMA, the dude does not have the chin for MMA.

It's basically the same thing wrestling and boxing has failed to do (well at least on the North American side) in China basically. You're trying turn places that were never sustained hotbeds for those particular endeavors into money making ventures. Everybody that has tried to do so has lost their ass. You see Bob Arum still trying to do those shows in Macau? No? Hmm, I wonder why.....

So if you can't make it in a gambling mecca with a sport that favors gambling, how the fuck are you're going to make it on the mainland?

OneFC is filling that gap better in Southeast Asia, but so far it has been more than mixed results. Even if they do get someone who makes it big, the UFC is just going to snatch them up whenever their contract ends anyway. So they're basically developing talent for someone else. If you're going to make it anywhere as a promotion, you can't be a glorified farm system. In essence, that's basically every promotion that's not the UFC and arguably Bellator if they ever manage to get their shit together.

But yeah, everyone can say the same things you hear on a WWE conference call. China and India have X number of homes and ______ has this many fans so potentially we can have ___ million fans.  However, what incentive do they have to watch? That logic was already extremely faulty to begin with, but now you add in the fact that as time progresses, these sports are going to cater more and more to males in North America between the ages of 18-34. Remember when dudes like Bernabe Concepcion and Mercito Gesta were suppose to be the next Pacquiao? Yeah, me neither. People outside North America aren't stupid. Sure, you get a Zou Shiming who gets like millions of people watching his pedestrian 10 rounders against some Mexican cab driver up until he loses convincingly. However, when it comes down to it and it's time to get real (basically getting into whatever endgame the promoter has), people see through that veneer of "Hey, this guy is the greatest thing since Hurricane Hank Armstrong".

You're preaching to the choir, homie... SFL is trying to find niches where none exist as there are only a handful of markets in Asia that are MMA friendly and India doesn't appear to be one of them.

I am not even sure you can call it an emerging market since their sports tastes are very traditional borderline colonial and combat sports have never really found a home in India. 

I am also skeptical about the profit that can be pulled from the 500 million homes given the huge incom disparity in India.

I like that Canelo was right on top of getting GGG's name out of his mouth, but what are the chances that fight actually goes down? I'd love to see the middleweight crown completely unified again, who was the last undisputed champ at 160? Jermain Taylor?

17 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I like that Canelo was right on top of getting GGG's name out of his mouth, but what are the chances that fight actually goes down? I'd love to see the middleweight crown completely unified again, who was the last undisputed champ at 160? Jermain Taylor?

Yeah, Taylor failed to face Abraham when he was a mandatory and cost him the IBF belt. The WBA belt was gone over some ludicrous shit by the sanctioning org. Sturm and Masoe traded the "regular" belt while Taylor was Super champion. Then, Taylor magically wasn't WBA middleweight champion anymore. Looking back at some of these old articles where a WBA rep said they were thinking about getting rid of that system is fucking hilarious. So instead of getting rid of the "regular" title, they added an interim belt. At one point, there was like four super middleweight champions and like three WBA super featherweight champions. Just garbage.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, Taylor failed to face Abraham when he was a mandatory and cost him the IBF belt. The WBA belt was gone over some ludicrous shit by the sanctioning org. Sturm and Masoe traded the "regular" belt while Taylor was Super champion. Then, Taylor magically wasn't WBA middleweight champion anymore. Looking back at some of these old articles where a WBA rep said they were thinking about getting rid of that system is fucking hilarious. So instead of getting rid of the "regular" title, they added an interim belt. At one point, there was like four super middleweight champions and like three WBA super featherweight champions. Just garbage.

The way the Alphabet Boys allow the titles to get splintered further and further drives me fucking nuts. I can't even imagine trying to tie any of the current champs back to a time before all the sanctioning bodies. One of my favorite things ever with the WBA title is when Lloyd Honeyghan dumped that piece of shit in the trash to dispute them sanctioning fights in South Africa.

Anyway, here's hoping to a quick turnaround for GGG - Canelo. Should be fun to watch them tee off on each other for however long it goes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

The way the Alphabet Boys allow the titles to get splintered further and further drives me fucking nuts. I can't even imagine trying to tie any of the current champs back to a time before all the sanctioning bodies. One of my favorite things ever with the WBA title is when Lloyd Honeyghan dumped that piece of shit in the trash to dispute them sanctioning fights in South Africa.

Anyway, here's hoping to a quick turnaround for GGG - Canelo. Should be fun to watch them tee off on each other for however long it goes.

Geez and I thought Honeyghan dumped the belt so he could avoid Mark Breland 

• Like 1

God, Canelo was fucking dangerous when he lost his temper.  He is far more lethal when he's calm and patient.  Khan outboxed Canelo right up until the time that poor Amir got KTFOed.  Khan's best shot of the night did absolutely nothing to Alvarez.  It didn't faze Saul and it didn't even make him use lateral movment.

Canelo may want to fight GGG but I am not convinced that DLH wants Canelo to fight GGG.  There is still money in a zero bullshit rematch with Cotto, but DLH will eventually have to make the match with Canelo and GGG while fans are still interested in it.

The worst thing that DLH can do is let GGG's camp believe that they can boost GGG as a popular brand so that he can make major money without a title unification bout with Canelo.  He doesn't want to get to the point where Canelo needs GGG for a quality payday rather than the other way around.

As long as Canelo is still Mexican, he is going to have a bigger fanbase than Golovkin when it comes to PPV.

But I still think Golden Boy goes with a Cotto rematch when push comes to shove. Remember, Cotto had to cancel his summer return (he usually gets that early June spot around the Puerto Rican Day parade) because they couldn't find him a suitable dance partner. No one is going to pay Cotto $3 million+ to fight some barely top 20 middleweight on PPV. That would happen only if he was still with Top Rank.

Golovkin, when it comes to PPV, is still a person without a home. He will sellout when he goes to LA or NYC, but no one is going to drop mad cash on him wasting people inside if 3 rounds or under. That was made clear for the Lemieux fight, his most important victory clearly.

With ODLH, it's easy for him to talk cash shit about calling Loeffler or discussing the GGG fight with Jerry Jones to do it in Dallas. But how did we get to this Khan fight? Money trumps deadlines. He can always go down to 154 and win the WBC belt. Right now, there is more money in sustaining Canelo's run (even though Canelo will always have his fanbase imo) according to Golden Boy than a single GGG fight. 

33 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Golovkin, when it comes to PPV, is still a person without a home. He will sellout when he goes to LA or NYC, but no one is going to drop mad cash on him wasting people inside if 3 rounds or under. That was made clear for the Lemieux fight, his most important victory clearly.

I disagree. People love a KO artist and will pay good money to watch a spree killer champ h-bomb some poor fuck right on the button..

Fans watched with morbid curiosity and awe to see just how long Tyson's bum of the month would last and GGG is arguably the biggest axe murderer since Tyson. 

If you can't find a way to get people excited about that, then either you can't promote shit, boxing as a sport is dead, or maybe both..