DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

On 4/27/2016 at 0:56 PM, RIPPA said:

Rev Pro has started to announce matches on the Sabre/Angle card now that it is sold out

Will Ospreay vs. Speedball Mike Bailey

Big Daddy Walter vs. Big Damo

Also now announced

Noam Dar vs. Marty Scurll

Chris Hero vs. Josh Bodom

Is anyone here going to the BEW/Stardom show in London next weekend? Found myself in a position where I was going to be in London anyway and decided it'd be a good opportunity to go to the show. Only seen bits and pieces of Stardom, which I enjoyed, plus I know how good the likes of Nixon, KLR and Toni Storm are, so thought it'd be worth buying a ticket.

I am not but it's going to be a weird day, wrestling-wise, in London, with a sold out Chikara show in Shepherds Bush and Fight!Nation in Stepney, as well as the Stardom show.

And in continuing my Chris Hero in UK news

He was just announced for the SSS16

So that means in addition to himself - also in it are...

MIKEY WHIPLASH 

MARK HASKINS

TOMMY END

PETE DUNNE

SAMI CALLIHAN

KENNY WILLIAMS

ZACK SABRE JR

MARK ANDREWS

ZACK GIBSON

DAVE MASTIFF

RAMPAGE BROWN

MATT CROSS

Sabre Jr is replaced by Jack Gallagher*, TK Cooper won a battle Royale at ENDVR (PROGRESS's B show) on Sunday to nab the last spot. He's from New Zealand and is ace and usually tags with his irl gf Dahlia Black. He's made a gimmick of punching a woman every time he appears, and even managed to do it once when I saw him working as a babyface.

* You should listen to Gallagher as a guest on PROGRESS owner Jim Smallman's Tuesday Night Jaw podcast - he's such a fascinating character! It's on the iTunes.

• Like 1

The left-side is superficially weaker, but Dunne's stock is on the rise and I could see him putting on great matches with Haskins, Moser & Gallagher if he gets the run. That said, an Origin vs Origin final wouldn't shock and it's something they did hint at when they interviewed Cruz a few weeks ago.

Despite the User Name being ironic, I did actually attend the Fight Club Pro / Chikara show in London yesterday. It was a lot of fun, first show I'd been to since Nakamura vs Damo last year.

As someone who went to UK shows quite regularly for a while and then basically stopped, the thing that's really changed is the hipsterishness. Now every other guy has a silly beard or one of those moustaches, and I can't tell if the Hunter Brothers, with their 'The Heat is On' theme song and "slightly old guys playing young guys stylings", are supposed to be some kind of ironic meta-rib at Brian Dixon or not - I suppose it doesn't really matter. What's interesting to me is that the British scene has largely moved on from carny types like Dixon & Alex Shane, to guys like Smallman, Havoc & Trent Seven. Seven was compere last night, and somebody joked about a raffle and he commented about how they were rubbish, because most people lose - that's a major paradigm shift. Maybe I'm simplifying massively, but it does seem to me that hipster culture is actually the thing that revitalised British wrestling - which is probably the nicest thing anybody said about hipsters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

CjKXfrwWsAAzqTs.jpg

Oh Please Lord - let it be Hero vs. Mastiff in Round 2

Is it a coincidence the three fat boys have to wrestle each other in the first two rounds?

I call shenanigans!

Spoiler

I really don't think Hero is anywhere near tubby enough to qualify as a fat boy wrestler, but i'm tired of trying to fight progress (little p, not the wrestling promotion itself, which would be capital P).

On 20/05/2016 at 7:24 AM, Linus said:

* You should listen to Gallagher as a guest on PROGRESS owner Jim Smallman's Tuesday Night Jaw podcast - he's such a fascinating character! It's on the iTunes.

That was pretty interesting stuff. I didn't know the MMA stuff was on youtube, if anyone's interested -

Spoiler

Well, day 1 of the Super Strong Style 16 was really, really, REALLY good. Everyone brought their A game and while there were few upsets - except maybe Walter over Mastiff - each match delivered (with the possible exception of the undertalented Mikey Whiplash vs the rookie Damon Moser). Hero vs Andrews was MOTN and day 2 looks like being fucking ace. Love the graps.

Well, day 2 was even better. Haskins was taken ill do it kicked off with a 10-man scramble for his spot, won by Andrews. Who ended up in the final and therefore doing 4 matches today. TNA are idiots. Hero worked twice and therefore had 3 amazing matches. MVP.  And Tommy End won and dedicated it to Kris Travis and it all got a bit emosh. Drunk on graps, love the graps.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Linus said:

Well, day 2 was even better. Haskins was taken ill do it kicked off with a 10-man scramble for his spot, won by Andrews. Who ended up in the final and therefore doing 4 matches today. TNA are idiots. Hero worked twice and therefore had 3 amazing matches. MVP.  And Tommy End won and dedicated it to Kris Travis and it all got a bit emosh. Drunk on graps, love the graps.

TNA are double idiots: not only doing nothing with Andrews, but they had Haskins under contract at one point and essentially did nothing with him either.

14 hours ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

I've never really seen this sentiment before, Mikey's been one of the best in the UK for a few years now in my opinion, and more able to work a variety of styles than most on the scene.

I think his time has passed, at least in the more mature promotions. His work was limited this weekend, and when I saw him in ICW it wasn't great (although it doesn't matter so much there). The UK scene is evolving at such a speed that it's easy to get left behind and - for me, if not anyone else - Whiplash hasn't kept up. And that's as much a compliment to the top guys as a slight on him.

Whiplash works a great 'main event' style match, almost similar to Kurt Angle in that respect.  When I attended ICW a few years back the best match over the 4-5 shows I went to was Grado v Whiplash, which, given the talent ICW has was quite a surprise.  Both guys really brought it.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Linus said:

I think his time has passed, at least in the more mature promotions. His work was limited this weekend, and when I saw him in ICW it wasn't great (although it doesn't matter so much there). The UK scene is evolving at such a speed that it's easy to get left behind and - for me, if not anyone else - Whiplash hasn't kept up. And that's as much a compliment to the top guys as a slight on him.

Fair enough, I still love the guy, but admittedly haven't seen so much of him lately beyond that great match with Rampage a few Progress shows back.