DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

As someone who is binge watching Rev Pro TV - is Zoe Lucas able to stand without constantly shooting her hip out to the side?

It irritates me when my students do it and it is totally distracting when the "co-host" of a show keeps doing it

I generally enjoy everything I see from Rev Pro

Though they do have the incredible talent of showing the first match of a feud that makes me spend WAY too much time trying to find the better sequel (ie Sydal/Ospreay)

I know the thread is titled UK discussion thread, but this is probably still the best thread to put this in.

wXw just revealed the competitors for this years 16 Carat Gold tournament, that's taking place from March 11th to 13th.

Pretty good field of names I think:

- Big Daddy Walter
- Daisuke Sekimoto
- Mike Bailey
- Shane Strickland
- Tommy End
- Zack Sabre Jr.

- Robert Dreissker

- Will Ospreay

- Angelico

- Trevor Lee

- Sami Callihan

The remaining 5 slots will be filled through four qualifying matches and a round robin tournament, that will happen from now on until the last shows before 16 Carat Gold:

- Damian O'Connor vs. Axel Dieter Jr.

- Marty Scurll vs. Da Mack

- Sasa Keel vs. Mike Schwarz

- Michael Dante vs. Kim Ray

- 16 Carat Gold League (Round Robin Style Tournament): Timothy Thatcher, Bobby Gunns, David Starr, Marius Al-Ani, Marius van Beethoven, The Rotation, Toby Blunt, Tyler Bate

I would be surprised, if Timothy Thatcher didn't win the 16 Carat Gold League, especially since it was already announced he will be working for wXw during the entire 16 Carat Gold weekend.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Alan calls all of their big shows.

wXw unfortunately doesn't have a subscription service like many of the British promotions do, but they do have a deal currently that gets you every show of the first half year of 2016 (~25 shows) for €69. Might be worth it, if you're really big into wXw.

I reviewed the Tetsujin shoot style tourney over at Segunda Caida, great performances by Jack Gallagher

SC review

I've been meaning to order that, this comes as a nice reminder to do so. Nice to see some praise for Chris Brookes, he's one of those names that goes under the radar when people talk about BritWres talent, but every time I've seen him, he's been great.

I'll probably expand on this later but here's a list of wrestlers I keep an eye out for, aside from those already mentioned, that you might find worth looking up - Mikey Whiplash, Jack Gallagher, Robbie Dynamite, Johnny Moss, Tony Spitfire, AJ Anderson, Wild Boar, Joe Coffey, Mark Coffey, Jackie Polo, Noam Dar, Joe Hendry, Kenny Williams, Lou King Sharp, Crusher Craib, Scotty Swift, Ringo Ryan, Mike Bird, Nikki Storm, Bete Noire, Sammi Baynz, Viper and April Davids.

Kind of surprised you'd mention those ladies and not Nixon Newell. She's younger, prettier (IMO) and more spectacular than what I've seen from any of those. She's understandably not as polished as Nikki Storm, but I'd say she's got the brightest future of any of them.

Best of 2015 music video

• Like 1

I'm hopping on the bandwagon. Phil liked it so much he recommended I watch it, so I TOO reviewed the Tetsujin shootstyle show, and merely added my thoughts to his earlier review:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/01/tetsujin-shoot-style-112015.html

I really loved the show top to bottom. I'd seen a few of the guys before but this whole thing was really eye opening. Even the weakest matches were still quite enjoyable. 

Anyone watched any FutureShock or Attack Pro? They are both fairly cheap on Vimeo, so fancied dipping my toe in.

ATTACK!-Pro theme their shows, with the wrestlers dressing up to match the theme, and the matches having shenanigans that also fit. They use some of the top guys in the UK, like Andrews, Dennis, Kirby, Boar, and the rest of that crew. They are brilliant.

After their outstanding match last week, Scurll & Ospreay did it again yesterday at PROGRESS, going over 30 minutes in a totally different match to last week, but still hitting the ****-*****1/2 range. It'll be up on OnDemand in a week and a half.

Anyone watched any FutureShock or Attack Pro? They are both fairly cheap on Vimeo, so fancied dipping my toe in.

ATTACK!-Pro theme their shows, with the wrestlers dressing up to match the theme, and the matches having shenanigans that also fit. They use some of the top guys in the UK, like Andrews, Dennis, Kirby, Boar, and the rest of that crew. They are brilliant.

Sounds like a lot of fun, might have to invest.

After their outstanding match last week, Scurll & Ospreay did it again yesterday at PROGRESS, going over 30 minutes in a totally different match to last week, but still hitting the ****-*****1/2 range. It'll be up on OnDemand in a week and a half.

Was it as homoerotic as their last Progress match?

Was it as homoerotic as their last Progress match?

There was light BDSM...

Do any other UK promotions put their stuff up in Vimeo? I know NWA Fight Nation, Futureshock and Attack Pro do, but any others?

Revolution Pro obviously. Southside Wrestling Entertainment just launched their channel this weekend. They have some pretty good looking shows.

Don't get me started on the failure in logic of that (not the match quality but again how stupid the star ratings are).

So Meltzer gave 3 matches in 2015 5 stars

A match that was better than anything in 2015 only gets 4 and 3/4s????

I'll probably expand on this later but here's a list of wrestlers I keep an eye out for, aside from those already mentioned, that you might find worth looking up - Mikey Whiplash, Jack Gallagher, Robbie Dynamite, Johnny Moss, Tony Spitfire, AJ Anderson, Wild Boar, Joe Coffey, Mark Coffey, Jackie Polo, Noam Dar, Joe Hendry, Kenny Williams, Lou King Sharp, Crusher Craib, Scotty Swift, Ringo Ryan, Mike Bird, Nikki Storm, Bete Noire, Sammi Baynz, Viper and April Davids.

Kind of surprised you'd mention those ladies and not Nixon Newell. She's younger, prettier (IMO) and more spectacular than what I've seen from any of those. She's understandably not as polished as Nikki Storm, but I'd say she's got the brightest future of any of them.

Best of 2015 music video

Oh yeah, she's good too, it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list at all.

I realise looking at that list now that it's quite centered on a handful of promotions, I'll happily take any recommendations.

So what exactly is the story with WAW and TV

I am seeing they are doing a TV taping this weekend (with Scott Hall... for reasons I guess)

I also see that Mr Kennedy might be there... if that is true it really hurts my interest

WAW is... an odd beast. They run exactly as they have run for the past 20 years, all the time claiming to be the biggest company in the UK (they do run a lot of shows, but mostly holiday camp buy-ins), but never venturing out of their Norfolk home. Norfolk is, well, it's a very rural place with one biggish city and lots of small towns. They don't tend to use any of the "cool" UK talent, relying on the older generation and their own trainees, and genuinely think that bringing in Scott Hall (and Mr Anderson) is a thing. Their TV tapings aren't for any particular channel but they claim to have over 60 channels across Europe interested, whatever that means. They're good at what they do, I guess, but what they do is increasingly irrelevant and dated.