DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 10/22/15

victor

Pretty good introduction for Breeze; that first forearm was stiff though his punches are shit. I've never seen the man myself (no Network here) but I appreciate him looking more punchable than even Ziggler. 

Anyone see that Rusev/Barrett/Sheamus bit and immediately get reminded of Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff forearming each other?

SHIT. New Day/Ambrose and Reigns was just awesome. Where has this Kofi Kingston been all my life? He had some mean offense and ate probably the meanest Spear I've ever ever ever seen in my life. Ambrose was wily dodging around and coming out of off-screen for a sudden plancha, Big E was bumping all over (plus his dancing at the start with added crotch thrust was fantastic), and New Day just flat trying to leave was great. This was way better than I expected with a missing Xavier. Plus, their "XW" black armbands were some mean heeling, really mocking everyone who's done that. This is worth watching for this match alone. 

Plus I missed Cesaro both losing and being mocked. So hey.

D-O-O?  More like B-O-O. . .T-Y.  You booty, Kane!  Kane and New Day were on fire with the jokes. The XW armbands had me screaming with laughter. 

If/when The Shield get back together, they need to develop a trios championship.  Shield/New Day/Wyatts/Le Internationale/Cosmic Wasteland would make for a strong division.

Good debut by Breeze.  Loved how he went straight for Ziggler's windpipe--nice touch of continunity.

Not only was Breeze's debut awesome, but the crowd knew who he is.  The dueling chants were in effect along with an NXT chant and I was overjoyed to see that.  Fun tag match to end what was a fun show.

And Miz with a bit of foreshadowing saying it'll be Pretty...awesome in his earlier promo.  So if you didn't know Breeze was coming in that was a nice touch.

Oh, and Kofi slayed me with the hopscotch leading into the Boom Drop.

I actually really liked the Divas segment tonight. wPaige explained her actions. Her former partners are still mad and doubtful. Out come the (intentionally) lame ass Bella Twins with their dumb insults. I love how idiotic Alicia Fox looks at ringside.  Nikki vs. Paige was really good and focused around some solid arm work. Booker had a great line about Nikki having more stamina to outlast Paige's late-match flurry. Good stuff.

The Breeze segment was really good. I thought his work in it was his best stuff yet, talking about coming from his seasons residence and the like. He looked like a star already. BTW, Summer has been an absolute joy since she was put into the Rusev stuff. She was great as the shit-stirring mean girl in NXT and her pairing with Fandango was fine, too. I really like her as our era's Sherri Martel if they keep her hopping from guy to guy over the next few years. She serves as a good character anchor to bring Breeze in beyond him having a US Title match or the like. I loved her going "They're right! You're gorgeous!" when the crowd was chanting. Tyler and Summer taking that gloating selfie with Dolph laid out in the background was A+ and a great callback to Tyler's original shtick.

Cesaro/Rollins was really good, too. I'm totally fine with Cesaro in the "Have a good 15-minute match with everyone we put you with" spot. Sort of the perfect way to use him.

I really hope they keep this Sheamus/Wade/Rusev pairing together. That box-in-box thing they did was great. I love how Wade just talked about him and Sheamus bar-brawling and then doing a half-evil half-WTF? laugh when Rusev was Iron Sheikh ranting.

• Like 1

And totally sign me up if the WWE goes back to its TRIOS focus. Wade/Sheamus/Rusev are friggin' awesome together. Them, New Day, Stardust and The Ascension, Luchas and Neville, The Wyatts, Maybe Roman/Ambrose have a plus-one. The year The Shield (and later The Wyatts) ran through everyone was one the all-time best in-ring years WWE ever had.

Breeze looked good for his debut. He's pretty close to a finished product as an act so they just have to let him do his thing and not book him like a jobber. It's a fun character, and he performs it well I hope it gets over.

That main event was really friggin' great. Roman stepped it up like five notches in-ring the past little bit. He had that crazy plancha on Raw and did a tale drive-by on Smackdown that looked like it took some mobility from his tailbone for the rest of his natural life. He's been excellent in big singles spots this year. But he's so ready for a title run. I really hope the smarks don't crap all over him again for whatever reason.

So yeah, Ziggler is probably the most apathy inducing wrestler right now. He keeps using words like "stealing the show" and yeah, he has some quality matches under his belt, but I don't know what it is. His promos are formulaic and kind of condescending as a face and too upbeat for a heel. He is not interesting enough as a tweener. His frantic wrestling style is fun to watch a few times, but gets tired and boring after awhile. He is one of those guys that you can stick in the ring with Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and other super workers and have a classic, but the moment you put him in a program with a mediocre worker, he just can't cut it. 

It's odd because I want to like Ziggler, but he keeps saying the wrong things like making fun of Miz for using a tanner or some shit or getting into super Dolph promo mode at inappropriate times.

So yeah, Ziggler is probably the most apathy inducing wrestler right now. He keeps using words like "stealing the show" and yeah, he has some quality matches under his belt, but I don't know what it is. His promos are formulaic and kind of condescending as a face and too upbeat for a heel. He is not interesting enough as a tweener. His frantic wrestling style is fun to watch a few times, but gets tired and boring after awhile. He is one of those guys that you can stick in the ring with Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and other super workers and have a classic, but the moment you put him in a program with a mediocre worker, he just can't cut it. 

It's odd because I want to like Ziggler, but he keeps saying the wrong things like making fun of Miz for using a tanner or some shit or getting into super Dolph promo mode at inappropriate times.

I think the next time they're in Cleveland, someone can start running down the city and Miz and Dolph run out at the same time to defend Cleveland.  Then they start defending the city by saying the same promo at the same time.  Then they look at each other.  "What's your favorite football team?"  "Browns!"  Baseball? "Indians!"  Basketball?  "Lebron!"  Damn it, did we just become best friends?  And then they can be best friends and stay heels, because Cleveland sucks. 

• Like 4