DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I went on tonight for about 40 minutes or so waiting on South Park to start, and it was the weirdest room ever. 

I picked up a $7,000 bounty in a private room stealing a car, so I went in with a bounty. When this happens, I get on the roof of my garage and stay there, basically announcing "do you feel lucky, punk?" I don't usually have to wait long until some Dog the Bounty Hunter decides to drop by and take a swipe at me.

This time, no one did. I finally started driving to them. I allah akbared some dude and he ran off. I allah akbared another dude and he ran off. This was a pretty full room and only two guys were trading kills. It was like I stepped into the hippie lobby and everyone was into peace and love. Finally, some dude in the neighborhood of where I was at drove up to me and blew me up at the same time I shotgunned him, so it was a double kill. I was like "hell yeah, dude, about damn time. You deserve it." 

• Like 1

Just did Top Fun 2 with Havoc and Wardy against some randoms. The randoms had this technique of running into the Subway entrance at the airport, and jogging down the train tunnels... it was set to first team to win 7 rounds wins. Two people joined to spectate in round one, and it put both on the other team, so it was 5 vs 3. And then we quit.

A few days ago I was racing with this racing crew who liked what they called Money races - basically custom ones that are as long as Long Haul or Grand Tour, but without things like tight corners or off-road sections. Very boring. But in that situation, the Dominator was actually better than the Gauntlet. They were the worst kind of dirty racers - the type who insist they're clean, and every time they spin you out they apologise and say it's an honest mistake. Even though those mistakes only ever happen to the one guy in the race who isn't in their crew, and never to any of their friends. And then when you give them their receipt they get all pissy and say you're being dirty for no reason. And then kick you from the playlist with one race left, when any kind of finish in that final race would give you a playlist win over the lot of them.

Arseholes.

There are good racing crews. Redrum Racing and Nonchalant Dominance are great. The leader of Nonchalant Dominance has built a ton of custom races that are just technical as all hell, the very opposite of a "money race." Several got approved by Rockstar.

What is that tablet looking icon next to the map on ps4??????

Considering I don't have a fancy PS4 like you do, Valcourt, I don't know. (runs away sobbing)

After a series of 12-13 hour days at work, Los Santos is getting ready to have a new patsy to kill repeatedly. The city is all talking about my imminent return - "this guy can't play worth a shit and he's a Level 360. He needs to get off the couch."

I really think that new sniper rifle is the new Mary Lou - I've learned to not struggle so much against the Mary Lou. Sometimes it gets me, but I've gotten better at waiting it out. I cannot think of a defense for that new sniper. I really think it's what's separating the men from the boys at this point, and I'm still a boy. I'm just glad about 1 out of every 10 players can use it. I hate running into that one, though.

The thing about the Marxist Rifle is, even if you can't actually see the person you're aiming at (it's range is much greater than it's zoom), the centre blip in the sight turns red when it's on target. And because you can fire five shots without reloading, and you can move around while aiming, it's very good against people using normal Snipers. No use at all if you're in auto-aim range of a proper gun though. 

If you're registered with Social Club, you can transfer your character one time*. Otherwise, you can't.

* If you're at level 99 on PS3, transfer your character to PS4, level up to 100 on PS4 and then start playing on PS3 again, you'll still be 99 on that system.

Same here.

Transferred from 360 to PS4 and during online got a ton of "trophies" popping up while running around.

I'm really liking it on PS4, but MAN traffic is intense. It feels a lot harder driving around.

I don't seem to get the police called on me for every LITTLE thing in story mode.

Does ANYONE know what that tablet icon is next to the HUD map? I can't find anything ANYWHERE about it. It looks like a iPad and has an arrow icon coming off it. I cannot figure out how to use it or clear it or anything.

The thing about the Marxist Rifle is, even if you can't actually see the person you're aiming at (it's range is much greater than it's zoom), the centre blip in the sight turns red when it's on target. And because you can fire five shots without reloading, and you can move around while aiming, it's very good against people using normal Snipers. No use at all if you're in auto-aim range of a proper gun though. 

I've only tried to use it in some gang attacks for practice (never tested it in Freemode) and my biggest problem was constantly trying to push up on the stick to zoom when there's no zooming needed and when I would turn the gun left or right to aim at another opponent, I would always walk out of cover.

I die way too much when I try to "outsnipe" people. I'll get out the sniper, find someone and see they're already pointing a sniper at me. At this point, I should back off, get back under cover and wait for them to come closer to me so I can take them out with a machine gun, rifle or shotgun. Instead, I try to beat them to the snipe and lose 80 percent of the time, if not more.

I keep running into people who get impatient with the waiting game of waiting for me to make a move and come rushing out at me, only to eat the assault shotgun in the process. That's my bread and butter. I have to take more chances when I've got a wanted level, 'cause the cops are usually bearing down on me and I'm running out of time,

It still blows my mind there's an assault shotgun in real life. I thought it was a fantasy gun. I wanna shoot one so damn badly.

Robert and I wrecked Los Santos last night. No one was terrible, but no one was really all that good, either. I stayed even with the best two, even though the second one had the advantage early by outsniping me about 4 times in a row. When I got him close-cover, it got easier. I can generally defend against a close-quarters Mary Lou about 60 percent of the time - don't even bother trying to shoot them when they're rolling, just wait for them to pop back up. Works well with the assault shotgun.

Gotta tell this story, it's my favorite in a long time. Robert kept having connecton issues early and dropped out of the XBox chat. This put me in game chat in the room I was in. There was one dude in game chat whining like crazy about how he was gonna kill some guy once he went to get some ammo. Then he gave us a play-by-play of the LONGEST trip to get ammo in history, "I'm going to get ammo ... I'm about there ... I'm gonna get me some ammo."

About this time, I thought "there's a boot going up his ass, for certain." So I figure out who it was and go pay him a visit, where I promptly kill him about 10 times in a row while he whines about how he shot me and I won't die, etc. Finally, some new dude gets on the chat and tells the guy "dude, you have been whining all night." I then unmuted my mic and said "why do you think I'm repeatedly killing him? Come join the fun." So the guy eventually did, but didn't stick around long. At this point, Robert rejoiined the room and I entered an XBox chat, so I lost the ability to hear what he was saying.

I traded this, though, to see dude's problems get entirely worse when Robert joined in. We surrounded him and killed him and then spawn sniped him until he decided he had some laundry to fold and he left. 

It was weird. When I first joined the room, it seemed like easy pickins. The next highest level in the room was a 108. By the time we gave up, everyone was above 100 and one guy was like in the low 400s. And we could not clear the room - it was 5:15 when we gave up and there were still 12 people in the room.

We did finally clear a pretty intense scrum around the center of town, so that was a victory. Man, what fun. I was telling Robert that if you look way early in this thread, I'm all like "peace and love, don't kill each other in Freemode, man" into "how can I be the biggest asshole possible?" I've met some good people being a Freemode pacificist, though - Austrian Sensation Herby~! leads the list, and he became a really valuable member of the crew untl he started playing XBox One more often. I miss ol' Herby~! 

My setup decided to emulate melraz's last night.  I finally figured out that the hub for my powerline connection wasn't getting any power, so I was using wireless instead.  Fixed that and it seemed to make the difference.  I couldn't get on for more than a couple minutes before, and I was able to stay on for 3-4 hours afterwards.  At least my annoying technical issues provided some comic relief with the guy Stout ran into. 

That damn server kept filling up all night, so we never could clear it.  We ran a bunch of em off, but they just kept coming.  It wound up about 7 on 2 down near the Chinatown area.  We got the better of everybody that stayed around for long.  Nobody else was working together, so that provided a bunch of chances to snipe fools that were distracted by others.

I scored 2 ignition bomb kills with high priority vehicles.  The second one was probably my favorite thing of the night.  I usually try to make it look like I don't want somebody to take the car, so I put up at least a semblance of a fight.  I managed to kill one guy 4 or 5 times without really trying before he finally got the car from me.  Then killed him some more after his respawn till he ran off.

Forgot to add - I'm pretty much the same way as Stout.  I used to let well enough alone in freemode.  Now I just look for the largest collection of dots, head over, and start killing.

Them not working together was key because there was so many times I'd have guys on two sides of me. If I took a shot at one, the other would roast me. So I'm standing there pondering my next move when one would take the other out, freeing me up to concentrate on him.

And I did Allah Akbar one poor fool to pieces who never saw me coming because he had his back turned to me.

Allah Akbar was working pretty well for both of us last night. I spent a fortune on sticky bombs, though.

Going after a dude who pisses you off in game chat has its upside and downside. If he manages to kick your ass, you get a play-by-play of your asskicking.

MIssions, mainly. Deathmatches, sorta. Races, sorta. Mainly missions, if you can stand them. Freemode is no place to level up.

What Stout said.  Do missions.  At least now you don't have to stick to Rooftop Rumble, since they've balanced the rewards.

I know they turned down the RP on some missons when they turned up the money, but it should be very easy to find a table on the Internet that tells you what each mission pays in RP. We used to key on doing high-RP missions when we were trying to level up.

Side benefit of missions: You'll get more money, if you need it.

You're a convicted felon, you're never gonna change. You'll be bad company 'til the day you die.

Just got done goofing around a bit. I was the troll of the right-side pay and spray. Your cost to pass? One shiny personal vehicle. Had four steamed at one time. Wasn't much of a problem at all.

Forgot to mention this. Went to evening Mass Sunday, and the priest was going on about all the evils in modern society, including the mindless violence in video games. Then I went home and helped Stout paint Los Santos red. Oops.

I'm dying because I remember you pointing out one night that, in one ear, you hear your wife praying in another room.

In the other ear, it's us yokels all "FUCK YOUR ADDER ASSHOLE!!" and the like.

• Like 2