DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I wonder (and I'm gonna check soon) if one of my recent dance partners didn't negative rep me, putting me at over 50 percent negative. I think at that point is when you're really on the game's shitlist in terms of heading to juvie.

I can't believe people would negative rep anyone for being a simple freemode dick. I never God mode, I never glitch, I never grab tanks.

Dumb question, but how do you check for negative rep? Some guy was mouthing off to me earlier, plus I got booted from a session and mission later on. The latter I didn't really understand since I had most kills and actually factored into the mission completion prior to outage. I'm curious if I received anything.

I'd just like to add this, I'm sure that to most of you online vets, this is old hat or nothing; but personally, besides delayed proxies and well-timed stickies, there nothing I enjoy more than when I'm the sole survivor of a very long mission and since I'm not an absolute disintegrator, I tend to take my time while everyone drops out of spectating, which means I get all of the winners share. It makes you feel like Andre, after knocking over Haku and The Brain on your way riding that tiny ring cart to Maze upon entering free mode.

On XBox 360, it's Profile, then View Rep, but I dunno about the PS series or XBox One.

I wouldn't just hang out in a mission and wait for others to drop out. You don't get any more money for doing so (except for slightly more money you'll make as the mission goes longer, up to a point) and that could definitely earn you some bad rep. I'll generally go fix something to eat or start cleaning up the house just to be a dick back if someone's trying to do that to me.

I'm much, much more likely to give someone bad rep for being a dick in a mission than for someone being a dick in freemode, because if you're playing missions, that implies that you want to perform as a team with the rest of the people you're doing missions with. I've always tried to be the best teammate possible when playing missions, because that's what you signed up to do, to be a part of a team with strangers. If someone's being a dick but it isn't terminal, then finish the mission and get away from those dipshits by going back to Freemode. Then find another group to do missions with.

I wouldn't take getting booted from a mission too personally. If you get kicked from the job before the mission starts, the dipshits don't know how to set the game to keep randoms out of missions. If you get booted in the middle of the mission, you could consider negative repping them for not kicking you from the job when they had the chance, or you could just let it slide. Either way, that won't cost you any bad sport points in the game.

Someone deliberately trying to run me over in a mission (and it happens) always gets negative repped.

I got a ton of negative rep during my Car Bomb trolling phase. 

Apparently players who are trying to jack you for the Simeon I/E car find it very unsporting if you fit the vehicle with an ignition bomb.

I nearly made poor Melraz choke on Beer #2 one night after I fitted a Lost chopper with an ignition bomb and brought it to a firefight.   One of the players we were harassing tried to use the bike for his escape.   Bad move..

• Like 2

You were getting lots of weird shit that night, with the asshole texts from people we hadn't even fought, and things like that.  I'm thinking negative rep from one or two of em could've caused your legal troubles.  I know I got negative rep right before I got sent to juvie last time.

I've never given negative rep to somebody that wasn't actively cheating.  God mode, invisibility cloaks and the like will always get negative rep, but that's about it.

Weirdly, I don't think I've ever got negative rep from a car bomb, and I'm probably up to around 40 of those by now.  I got a second mesa as a personal vehicle rigged with one that I'm trying to use as bait in freemode.

Did my first mission with strangers in about a year on Friday.  Got run over by one of my teammates 5 seconds in.  The only reason I didn't retaliate was because I'm not entirely sure he wasn't just incompetent.  I have very rarely been a bad teammate, and everybody that has been on the receiving end has thoroughly deserved their fate.

I can't imagine it has anything to do with your profile rep since that goes with you cross games.

I mean I have negative rep earned via ME3 because people really don't like it if you are way way way better than them in that game.

Juvie for GTAV clearly is working on a behind the scenes algorithm that none of us understand.

I only put people on my avoid list if they quit early... or if they are a huge douche (that is usually the folks who get pissed off that you are better than them)

JT and I have started a policy though that if you have Minecraft logo as your avatar - you go on the avoid list because 99% of them are 13 year olds and I am tired of that shit.

Agree that the actual xbox rep probably doesn't mean anything.  There's actually a way to report people through GTA as well, though.  My possibly way off base guess is that the people that have given us negative xbox rep have also done that through GTA. From what I've seen online, Rockstar seems to take that seriously.

You're right about the mysterious algorithm.  That's actually what bothers me about it.  Sure we get the warnings about blowing up personal vehicles, but there's no real way to tell whether you're headed for juvie or not.

I just wish there was some kind of warning about it - I had gotten $2,000 for good behavior about 6 hours before getting thrown in the pokey. They should be able to say "well, you would've gotten $2,000 here, but you're a meanie, improve your behavior." Instead I went from "hey, I got my money, I must be OK" to wearing that dunce cap.

If the penalty keeps doubling, I'll get 8 days next time. That's a lot of time. I'd at least like some warning that I'm getting close to the cliff.

I've kinda accepted my role as DVDVR stooge/distraction in online. I prefer laughing maniacally as I do stupid shit to set up the guys with the Rifles. I'll be climbing on top of a building the opposite way of the ladder via a well positioned Firetruck I also have a sticky on "just in case" to give them something else to worry about.

I am the wild card. I am DVDVR Dean Ambrose.

• Like 2

I find it fascinating and strange that we've all developed roles within the whole and can always count on each other doing what each other does best. If I'm with Melraz or Robert, I'm basically flapping my arms like a chicken shouting "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" while they're lining up the sniper shot. Even if the Allah Akbar doesn't work, it's causing a bit of chaos and opening up someone behind me to snipe the shit out of somebody.

I love that feeling where we're getting cranked up on some poor dot and the thought occurs to me that "this bastard's fucked. He needs to go ahead and leave."

Dragon, your role in the crew is keeping the NPCs in line via baseball bat.

• Like 1

I basically feel like Dragon and Stout. I'm never going to be on a Melraz or Robert level, so I don't bother with positioning or cover too much. I have no awareness in the game for some reason. I can't count the number of times Melraz has been like, "You've got a dot coming up your ass," only for me to be run over because I didn't react fast enough.

I figure if I can be sprinting through the middle of the street like a dumbass, the dot will be looking at me and one of these other guys can wear them out.

I also have never had patience in games. I Rambo my way through everything and die 79 times.

Half the time I do anything in GTA, I start off with, "I'm probably going to die here, but I'm trying this anyway."

• Like 2

I find it fascinating and strange that we've all developed roles within the whole and can always count on each other doing what each other does best. If I'm with Melraz or Robert, I'm basically flapping my arms like a chicken shouting "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" while they're lining up the sniper shot. Even if the Allah Akbar doesn't work, it's causing a bit of chaos and opening up someone behind me to snipe the shit out of somebody.

I love that feeling where we're getting cranked up on some poor dot and the thought occurs to me that "this bastard's fucked. He needs to go ahead and leave."

Dragon, your role in the crew is keeping the NPCs in line via baseball bat.

I am 100% okay with this.

• Like 1

The joy that Dan gets out of killing NPCs is one of the great things about freemode.

Has anybody ever dropped a sticky bombed car from a cargobob onto somebody before?  I was thinking I need to try that.

Half the time I do anything in GTA, I start off with, "I'm probably going to die here, but I'm trying this anyway."

I do that all the time as well.  I figure as long as what I'm trying is ridiculous enough, it's worth it.  I can pretty much judge how well the night is going by how many of those I actually pull off.

• Like 1

Returned to the mean streets last night.

Sure enough, my rep is now 46 positive, 54 negative. I'm just gonna try to keep an eye on my status as a clean player or whatnot in my listing in the players menu.

After skipping a room with about 15 three-digit players, including a 400-something, I landed in a room where it seemed like everyone in it was 70 or below. Cleared it. I picked up a $7,000 bounty at one point, and everyone in the room was on the run from me. I'm chasing people down while I have a $7,000 bounty on me thinking "this is not the way this is supposed to work." Tremendously passive room, at least until I came along. Hope I didn't pick up more bad rep.

• Like 1

There were a few decent guys last night, but a lot of crap as well.  Never seen so many people in glitches/trying to get in glitches.  Two guys kept trying to get into the one under the mall, so I just camped by the pay and spray and RPG'ed em every time they got close.  Between that, the people in passive, and all the damn tanks we had a load of little bitches.  Didn't stop em from getting killed though.  Stout wiped out one tank, and knocked a second one down to the point where I got it with a single RPG.  There were a thousand jets in the air as well, but none of em were any good.  One jet had the misfortune to crash right by Stout.  I'll leave it to him to describe he horrors he unleashed on that poor fool.  Lots of Zentornos as well, but the usual methods were pretty effective on those guys.

Highlight of my night was managing to allah akbar a buzzard when the guy landed to pick up another player. 

• Like 2

The guy who crashed the jet was hilarious. I had to start killing him 'cause some red dot - the only one who could really, really go - was kicking my ass and I needed to check the comedy potential of the new entrant in the sweepstakes. It paid off.

I'm trying to line up a sniper shot on him and he's joyfully punching NPCs as fast as he can, oblivious to the whiz of heavy sniper fire as I missed EVERY DAMN SHOT. So I ran up to him and stuck a foot up his ass until he went into passive. I happen to be in a sticky-bomb-wired car anyway, so I run him over.

He then proceeds to get in the sticky bombed car with me. Uh, OK ... BOOM! He comes out of passive, I kill him a couple of times, he goes back into passive. I pull up in another car - it was clean, had ran out of sticky bombs - and he gets in it. I cook us with a grenade.

At one point, I came up to him in a car when he wasn't in passive and just sat there. Didn't try to do anything, just sat there. He never tried to kill me. Another dot came out of nowhere and he and the other dot got into a fistfight. So I blew them both up.

I was like "Robert, tell that red dot to fuck off and get over here, this dude's hilarious."

I couldn't care less about faring well against the competition of Los Santos - that red dot was whoopin' my ass while I screamed "UNCLE!" - but I surely love torturing hapless dots. Guess that's why I've got two strikes.

• Like 2

Damn, Mel, you ran into a significant butthurt front with a 100 percent chance of whiny. You play cleaner than I do. I can't believe someone would negative rep anyone over kicking their ass.

All that new stuff sounds like new player vs. player missions - though I really do wanna do the one that's bicycles vs. 18-wheelers. The rest sound like repackaged missions/captures.

Does everyone else realize how bad this thing is gonna break Tuesday when all these people who haven't played the game in months 'cause they've been up Uranus come back to see what all the fuss was about? It's gonna be impossible to get on and stay on.

• Like 1

The latest polls are in. My approval rating has dropped from 90 to 66. Los santos may have a new mayor by the end of the month. Ungrateful bastards.

You've gotta get out and meet your constituents more, man.  You know, kiss babies, shoot white dots in the face.  That kind of thing.

Damn, Mel, you ran into a significant butthurt front with a 100 percent chance of whiny. You play cleaner than I do. I can't believe someone would negative rep anyone over kicking their ass.

All that new stuff sounds like new player vs. player missions - though I really do wanna do the one that's bicycles vs. 18-wheelers. The rest sound like repackaged missions/captures.

Does everyone else realize how bad this thing is gonna break Tuesday when all these people who haven't played the game in months 'cause they've been up Uranus come back to see what all the fuss was about? It's gonna be impossible to get on and stay on.

Most of that stuff sounds like really badly balanced pvp modes.  All weapons on foot vs. players on motorcycles weapon locked to sawed off shotguns.  Yeah, no imbalance there.  I completely missed the part about trucks vs. bicycles though.  I've gotta find a yellow t-shirt if I'm gonna be on a bicycle for that one.

I will not do bicycles versus 18 wheelers if Robert is allowed on a bike. I might as well slap Mike Tyson's mother in front of him.

Pull one allah akbar on a bicycle and you get branded for life.  Besides, remember what happened the last time I got in an 18 wheeler?

• Like 2