DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I know the feeling. My vehicle isn't big or heavy, but it has 35" tires and 1/4" steel bolted pretty much all the way around it for rock crawling, so it's tempting to just drive over slow asses sometimes.

You should really ask Mel about his tactics when someone is in his way.

• Like 1

Dear every player of GTA Online:

Grabbing a tank in Freemode is ALWAYS a bitch move, regardless of the situation. Feel free to use them in the 1 or 2 missions where they might come in handy, but even if the mean ol' DVDR is ganging up on you, grabbing a tank is still a bitch move and will somehow, someway get you treated even worse.

Damn, that one room was tank central for no good reason. I saw many fewer tanks in bad sport. That second room was better, but that Level 107 was doing a pretty good job with three or us - and just manhandling me with that RPG - when he decides to grab a tank from out of nowhere, and my respect level for him hit the floor.

Look, dude, we're gonna keep coming at you - three of us aren't gonna say "shit, he's got a tank, we better leave!", we're gonna stick around to stick a foot up your ass for being an asshole. So why bother? It will take us longer to kill you, but we will kill you. You may get a couple of cheap kills, but you're putting off the inevitable.

What practical purpose do the fucking things serve in Freemode except ruining a room? At least they're easier to kill than when we started. Jets are the same way, but probably 10-15 percent of the people who grab jets are actually skilled enough to kill people with them. I don't worry about jets until they either kill me or come close to killing me, because I know most people who get them can't do shit with them. But tanks are a little bit easier to run around wreaking havoc with.

That second room was still fun, though, another one of those scrums where there were a shitload of people, but no real superstars, so it wasn't bad at all. I'm actually starting to enjoy those. You don't have to go far to find a target, and the chaos makes for easier Allah Akbaring, because everyone has to be concerned in about four directions.

My favorite thing all night might have been the last dude, ol' Bo Jackson. He was something like a Level 24, so I sidle up to him to say hello and he blows me up with a freakin' homing rocket. At first I thought it was an RPG, but then I thought "he's not level enough to have one" and realized he was basically using the homing rockets like an RPG. That couldn't be cheap.

I mean, you think "Level 24, he's got nothing," and forget that those guys have access to all sorts of firepower we didn't have back in our day. He shot three at me total before Robert was coming at him to have a chat with him and ol' Bo knew how to get the hell out of the room.

• Like 1

Dear every player of GTA Online:

Grabbing a tank in Freemode is ALWAYS a bitch move, regardless of the situation.

See, in the past I'd stick an asterisk on there because they were good for getting god-moders out of their glitch, but now most of them know how to lag out from underneath the tank, so it's no good.

Yeah, that room with all the tanks was shit.  Making it even worse were all the folks in passive.  There were 3 or 4 grouped right in amongst us.  Some of em were in passive to avoid the tanks, but the rest were doing that come out of passive and shotgun you in the back bullshit.  The problem was that you never knew which type you were dealing with.  Combine that with the guy that went off radar 934579087 times, and the annoyance factor was high.

Two things:

1. TO THE MINI-COOPER!

2. chill plz

The Horsemen rode last night and had a fairly easy time (as usual, got kinda challenging at the end in a room that would not die - there were 15 in the room when I left at 5 a.m.). For some reason, the room was kinda barky and ordery all night long.

First, there was the kid who sent me and Melraz voice messages who sounded kinda like Cartman telling us we better leave him and his friend alone. He also told me that he was sick of the Allah Akbar (he had every reason to be) and he wished I'd die that way in real life. That's not nice. We gave him a lesson in manners.

Then there was the dude who messaged me "chill plz" after I killed him, which earned him exactly what he asked for from us. We respectfully chilled and left him alone. No, wait, we didn't. He was no pushover, but we got our shots in, then reminded each other that we needed to chill.

Then someone said he was gonna kick RUkered's ass, bringing a swift response. We wound up around a crapload of dots at the observatory, a spectacularly shitty place to fight on several levels. We wound up heading back into town to see if they'd follow us somewhere easier, and I don't think anyone did.

But then we got into a major scrape at the center pay and spray - it was a theme of the evening that wherever we went, more folks would start pouring in.

I had NO intentions of playing last night, but I thought "screw it, lemme see if anybody's on" and checked my Xbox Live app on the phone. When I saw Melraz and RUkered were on, I couldn't get the damn XBox powered up fast enough. Then Robert came on, and the by-God Horsemen were back in Wargames: the Match Beyond. Good times, good times.

• Like 1

Funny thing was, we cleared the room about 10 minutes after you left.  Room suddenly dropped to 4 people the minute you dropped off.  One guy kept going into passive and sending whiny text messages, even though he fired the first shot for once.  He didn't seem to like getting drowned and sniped spawned.  Other one got kicked because he kept running away, and we wanted to clear the room.

RUkered got the helicopter allah akbar, which set off that whole thing by the observatory.  I don't think those guys up there had any idea what they were gonna bring on by threatening revenge.  I actually enjoyed fighting up there, but it would've sucked if any of those clowns were any good with the new sniper. 

I managed to get a passive guy into a car that I had set an ignition bomb on.  Didn't go well for him.  My favorite thing of the night was probably the guy that challenged me to a 1:1 after I shot him on the pier.  melraz and I were standing up on the pier, and because we were in the 1:1 the other guy kept spawning on the beach right near us.  I got him 4 times, then hunkered down while melraz sniped him about 75 times in succession. 

• Like 2

I think that might have been the first time I started shit, as opposed to joining in when one of you have already "pissed the map off."

And hell yes, I finally got myself a Heli Akbar. Still would love to get a jet with one, but that's a pipe dream.

Earlier in the night, some guy just had my number. A lot of people did last night - got my ass whipped quite a bit.

But I got frustrated and was like "DAMMIT - I can't do shit with this guy!" With this bunch, that's like throwing up the Bat signal. It's like "Where are you? Sit tight. We're on our way."

I felt like a little kid on the playground. "You're in big trouble now. My big brothers are coming to kick your ass."

• Like 2

Freemode definitely isn't for everybody, and can be an acquired taste.  Plus you're playing against a bunch of folks that have been at it for nearly 1 1/2 years now. 

Can't believe we managed to fail Boneyard.  I've solo-ed that thing at least 20 times, and almost always successfully.

Managed to clear another room last night, sort of.  Ran into one guy that was basically an amalgamation of every shitty player we've ever run into.  He spent most of his time working on the come out of passive right next to somebody bullshit.  He'd also kill himself any time that things weren't 100% to his liking.  We fought him for about 10 minutes, and he must've killed himself at least 15 times.  He finally took off to go grab a jet, so we said fuck that and went back downtown to murder one of the ubiquitous 420 guys.  We shot, drowned, and sticky bombed him for a while till the server dumped everybody but us all at once.  Declared victory since it was already 2:30

I think I realized I don't like playing free mode. I'm not big on the random acts of murder. (also I suck at it, at least on this game) Missions and such are fun, though.

Yeah - you missed the hey days of the DVDVR crew

Basically the early shift (me, JT, Mark, etc...) would be on and force folks to do races and throw deathmatches.

Then we would got to bed and the night crew would just roam free mode.

Only the Night crew remains

Soloing Boneyard was mostly how I made my money in the early days. Apparently I need to go shopping for some more candy and E-cola so I can restore my health, because I was sucking.

Sorry I had to bail, Stout. I was in the process of signing off when your name popped up. I debated staying anyway, but I knew this morning would be rough if I did.

Edit:

I would like this read aloud by the movie trailer voiceover guy.

• Like 1

Don, if I were you, even if I wanted to be in Freemode, I wouldn't. You're basically setting yourself up to get creamed. About 90 percent or more of the players are at a higher level than you, and chances are, you're not gonna overcome that obstacle.

You can get some really good weaponry right now, but Freemode's a zero-sum game in that you gain experience VERY slowly, so you never level up, and buying all of the ammunition and guns required is a money drain.

I'm trying to think of what level I'd go to before I'd even consider Freemode again and 40 keeps popping into my mind. Even then, you have to be selective about who you mess with and be ready to bail if things get tough.

I understand people not liking Freemode, and it took me forever to like it myself (frankly, Melraz got me into it when I would get into rooms with him and discovered it was fun being a dick to strangers), but I enjoy it greatly now. It definitely sucks whedn it's not going your way, like that dude last night who was steamrollering me with that Mary Lou shit. But when it's going good, it's freakin' hilarious.

I wish all you early shift guys would've spent more time in Freemode with us, just because you would've realized what absolute fun it is when it's going well - I remember once we had what had to have been six or seven people just circling some poor dot and closing in fast. I kept thinking "boy, it must suck to be him," and then thought "well, I'm not him, oh well" and tried to shoot the guy in the face. I really believe you would've enjoyed it immensely given time, Rippa. It's basically a big-ass deathmatch against strangers.

I kinda felt sorry for Don the other night because we really should've been playing missions with him to level him up, but we all hadn't been on together in a while and we had the bloodlust. Some permutation of the Horsemen have been playing in Freemode pretty steadily for the better part of a year now, so we have our own set of inside jokes (and I noticed every other word was of the four-letter variety) and our own little set of unsaid tactics. All one of us has to say is "beach!" and that triggers an immediate response from everyone else.

You really get over the "I'm being a dick to a stranger" thing pretty easily when you realize it's dick or be dicked. Plus it's fun to listen to people on the game chat whine about you. Most recent: "That (n-word) done blown me up!"

• Like 1

Soloing Boneyard was mostly how I made my money in the early days. Apparently I need to go shopping for some more candy and E-cola so I can restore my health, because I was sucking.

Sorry I had to bail, Stout. I was in the process of signing off when your name popped up. I debated staying anyway, but I knew this morning would be rough if I did.

Edit:

I would like this read aloud by the movie trailer voiceover guy.

I think that's about the 4th of 5th Alien/Aliens reference I've made in this thread.  I really need to get out more.

• Like 1

Don't worry. I have hammered Foghorn Leghorn impressions into the ground until that dead horse is now a fine paste.

Sir, Foghorn Leghorn impressions will NEVER get old. NEVER.

"I say, I say, son, you gotta watch where you're shootin', boy. You done get your head blowed clean off."

• Like 1

Don't worry. I have hammered Foghorn Leghorn impressions into the ground until that dead horse is now a fine paste.

Sir, Foghorn Leghorn impressions will NEVER get old. NEVER.

"I say, I say, son, you gotta watch where you're shootin', boy. You done get your head blowed clean off."

This is truth.  I have a need to shoot things right in their face, so I should be on around 10-11 my time if anybody's around.

• Like 1

I should be able to do that. Mel and I have now been on four nights in a row thanks to work schedules lining up. I might as well shoot for five.

Dan got on again with us a while last night. We were absolutely destroying a few of them. One was level 30 and one was a 7. I'm not sorry about it because they wouldn't quit. If someone that low is obviously trying to escape, I'll quit being a dick. But if they continually come around trying to run you over and shit, forget about it.

Karma came back in the form of the final remaining dot in the room who brought extra feet to stick up my ass. I think I only managed two kills on him, and at least one of them was when he was in a one on one with Nate.

When Dan joined, Nate and I were chasing a poor bastard up a parking garage. About the time Dan rolled up, hell fire rained down in the form of Nate employing Stout's patented air strike.

If you're in a room with any of us, don't bother checking the map. Just follow the cop cars and the trail of blown up shit. We'll be at the end of that particular rainbow.

For probably 30 minutes straight, I'd respawn and couldn't so much as blink without having 40 cops up my ass immediately. The carnage never stopped long enough for them to clear out. Y'all know how it goes.

• Like 1

Yeah, that freakin' kills me. You're surrounded by cops and there's dots all around you. You respawn and have to immediately pull out a gun, 'cause it's kill or be killed. Meanwhile, one of the 300 cops next to you sees you with a gun and it's wanted level and shotgun to the face time. It's hard to get anything done, but I guess that's what deathmatches are for.

The airstrike is so costly and you're so much more prone to kill yourself than your target, but the laugh when it works makes it all worth it.

I had a Level 20 once who wouldn't leave me alone. He'd get killed, go away, come back, get killed, go away, come back, get killed. I never chased him - had too much else going on. I tend not to chase people if there's any other shiny near me unless someone's been a real dick and needs a foot up their ass.

Should be on later. I'll be on the lookout for wanted criminals.

• Like 2

That's the only downside to all of us being involved in the same fight - all the damn cops.  You steal a single car, or fire off one round and they're all over you.  It's also the reason I enjoyed that fight Stout and I had with 3 guys out on one of those islands off the west coast so much.  Yeah the spawns were ridiculous, but we had a 30 minute continuous fight with no cops involved.

That fight was easy once I figured out how to do it. Took me forever for no real reason to figure it out. Between you Mary Louing them and me just sitting back and letting them come to me, that got easy quick and they took off for the mainland. It helped that only one of them was any good. I do believe you killed that one dude literally over 60 times.

Stout and I cleared two servers with relative ease.  Lots of wonky things were going on, though.  I hit a car with 3 RPGs and did no damage.  Stout got shot through a wall.  Things became clear when Stout discovered that UFOs are back again.  Both servers had em.  They disappeared after we ran everybody else off, though. 

My two highlight kills were

- two guys with one proximity mine.  Shot them both out of a Zentorno, and they both tried to get back in at the same time.

- throwing a proximity mine onto a guy's car as he raced by, then having him explode two blocks away.  Hope he enjoyed listening to the beeping.

Stout got the kill of the week - killing two guys with one allah akbar while they were riding a train.

• Like 3