DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I'm not even talking about paid DLC as the savior of GTA Online. I'm just talking about extensions to the single-player game. I sincerely believe Rockstar is gonna let GTA Online dangle after delivering heists - which will be a letdown, just like everything else they've done in Online has been a letdown. They may come out with some bugfixes and maybe a new car or two later, but nothing in the way of new content.

A real game-changer would be if they found a way to develop a MIssion Creator for online like they did a race creator and a Deathmatch creator. Then they could kick back and let the users do all the work. Supposedly someone "hacked the game's code" and saw provisions for one, but I don't see it happening now. 

Rockstar made a bundle of money when this game came out and they're probably happy with it and ready to move on to the next bundle of money they'll make. I just think if they'd had some paid DLC ready to release about 2 or so months after the game came out, they could've made some decent dough off the deal. 

Neither Dan nor Rob have never flipped away from buckshot.  I can personally testify to that.  

Now, getting them before they get you.  That's the problem.  

I always feel I have a puncher's chance in a forced shotgun deathmatch, but then CSC and Rippa and Hoven Maven and RUkered step up and kick my ass.

I get insanely frustrated at death matches because I'm awful at them.  The shotgun ones I have an okay chance but as soon as a sniper rifle is involved I'm completely screwed.  I just get super quiet (even moreso than usual) because I don't feel like I've been around chatting online enough to curse you all as much as I'm doing in my head.

I think a lot of the problem is that I have almost no history of online gaming, and really 75% of the games I've played since I was a teenager were sports games, so I never developed the muscle memory or knowledge of tactics to be able to compete with most people playing online.  I'm getting better, no more of the 2 kills, 20 deaths type of matches like when I first started but I'm still lucky to get anywhere near a 1:1 k/d ratio.

I don't necessarily mind spinning someone out if you're behind them and the opportunity is RIGHT THERE, but I was having a hard time racing with randoms because as soon as you get side by side with one of them, they start bashing into the side of your car. That's going too far, just race side-by-side, it's fun. 

The race you, me & Mis were doing this morning was pretty much the worst example of this.  Every single random I got anywhere near just wanted to plow into my car.  I'm like "DON'T YOU WANT TO FUCKING WIN?!  YOU CAN'T IF YOU KEEP BUMPING OTHER PEOPLE!!!".  It's no wonder we brought up the last 3 spots in that one.

Yeah, impressive showing by the crew there. That was a psychotically tight race course to begin with, but put 11 or 12 on it and it got crazy, quick.

I swear, probably 90 percent of the time I've tried to screw with someone, it winds up backfiring on me and costing me. And I'm sure the percentage is the same for everyone else, too, but this game is either:

A. Played by the worst people, or

B. Brings out the worst in people.

I think it's a combination of both. I always picture the average GTA Random as Butt-head. "Hey, watch this, Beavis, I'm gonna put him into the wall." 

What was weird, though, is earlier in the day I raced The Commute and absolutely no one around me was screwing with anyone. It was crazy. I was like "am I playing GTA?" Several different dudes had several opportunities to make life rough for me and didn't. 

Then I raced it later and GTA was back to its old self, which made winning the race by six hundredths of a second quite a bit more satisfying. "TAKE THAT, YOU FUCKERS!" I nearly finished the race on two wheels after some guy put me hard into the retaining wall on the right just before the finish line.

People would rather screw with you than win, and that's a sad little commentary.

What was weird, though, is earlier in the day I raced The Commute and absolutely no one around me was screwing with anyone. It was crazy. I was like "am I playing GTA?" Several different dudes had several opportunities to make life rough for me and didn't. 

I think I was in that race too.  I know we ended up in a couple together before officially starting a party and I was thinking the exact same thing. 

edit: or maybe it was the one where people were being dicks but I was just too far behind for anyone to bother fucking with me.

After going through some races this morning, I have a rule now that I'll only play GTA races if customs are on, because I'll have my precious bulletproof tires.  Otherwise, I just get my tires blown out half a dozen times by whoever is trying to pass me and it's not worth it.

Had that rule for months. I don't have a custom motorcycle right now (first purchase upon getting more garage space), so I'm constantly turning down motorcycle GTA races. I turn down custom motorcycle races in general if there's no traffic on because I know the custom motorcycles are gonna blow me away.

My big pet peeve is if you randomly join a race on the phone, probably 70 percent of the time it's gonna be Long Haul II. Who wants to race 16 miles in horribly boring freeway race? It must pay well or something, because there are people constantly doing it. I've raced it a couple of times, and if the traffic's off, it's gotta be one of the most boring things in the game.

Did do a user-created race today that was bicycles around the running track at the university. That was cute. I managed to bookmark a pretty cool user-created jumpy race.

Chris it's alright if you cuss crew. I do all the time. We are all family man. Brothers fight each other but the brotherhood truly comes together while in free mode. I'll shoot a brother inna death match but if a brother gets shot in free mode the shooter is gonna get his ass kicked all over the map. If I get cussed I honestly take it as a compliment from you guys. Cause we are the best dalm crew in GTA. If I can kill and be cussed by one of yall it's a dalm honor.

Edit. I don't like to get cussed in races. I try not to putta dick in the jaw of crew while racin. If I'm racin no crew it's another story though some sum bitch is gettin turned sideways and put into a wall or on his hood.

Neither Dan nor Rob have never flipped away from buckshot.  I can personally testify to that.  

Now, getting them before they get you.  That's the problem.  

I always feel I have a puncher's chance in a forced shotgun deathmatch, but then CSC and Rippa and Hoven Maven and RUkered step up and kick my ass.

I get insanely frustrated at death matches because I'm awful at them.  The shotgun ones I have an okay chance but as soon as a sniper rifle is involved I'm completely screwed.  I just get super quiet (even moreso than usual) because I don't feel like I've been around chatting online enough to curse you all as much as I'm doing in my head.

I think a lot of the problem is that I have almost no history of online gaming, and really 75% of the games I've played since I was a teenager were sports games, so I never developed the muscle memory or knowledge of tactics to be able to compete with most people playing online.  I'm getting better, no more of the 2 kills, 20 deaths type of matches like when I first started but I'm still lucky to get anywhere near a 1:1 k/d ratio.

This was the problem I had at the beginning.  I was trying to think of the last real shooter I played much of, and all I could come up with was Goldeneye for the N64.  Only other one I've played was Doom 2.  I've never played a game online before this one. 

I learned how to do the Mary Lou shit because I started doing a lot of DMs with randoms, and got tired of having it done to me all the time.  That made a huge difference.  I still get schooled in DMs on occasion, but I come out ahead more than often that not. 

One thing that bugs me about DMs is that they reward stupid play.  I did one last night that threatened to go on forever.  I was in a hurry to log off, so I just ran around the map inviting people to shoot me, and opening up on anybody I saw.  I wound up winning the thing, but had at least 5 more deaths than anybody else in the match.   That just seems dumb to me.  Maybe that's how DMs work in all games?  I've just never done them before.

And like melraz said, feel free to cuss me out.  Him cussing me out after my sticky bomb the tanker trick in a DM may be my favorite moment of this game.

• Like 1

I forget why, but when Robert came into our session tonight, I think me and Melraz and Mis had said nothing but curse words for about 5 minutes straight. I forget what had us so fired up. As soon as Robert joined, we called him an ass and continued cussing.

I hope no one minds those on the crew who are a little, ahem, rougher around the edges. Something about this game just makes you wanna cuss. Besides, us three's mountain goofs from the sticks, we can't help it. Plus Mel's usually been drinking his go-go juice. 

Lots of reasons to cuss tonight, for it was freakin' tank season in GTA freemode. One session got so stupid with tanks we just had to leave, only to come into another session that made the first seem like a cakewalk. As soon as we'd blow one up, someone would run and get another one. I can't remember a time where there weren't two tanks chasing us around.

They just ruin everything in Freemode, they just pissed all over everything. You can either spend your entire night bouncing from session to session trying to avoid tanks (which will last about 5 minutes a session before someone gets butthurt and grabs one), or take them out with hard work (which will cause the person blown up to just grab another one and start over) or you can grab your own tank, which will definitely cause the person blown up to just grab another one and start over). 

I don't know much about Call of Duty - MIs could answer this for sure. Freemode, basically, is a Deathmatch with a really big map. Do any of Call of Duty's deathmatches allow some players to call in tanks while others are limited to just guns? I doubt it, because it gives some players too much of an advantage. 

None of this is new information, though. It's just been a while since I've really screwed around in Freemode, and it can very well be a crappy experience.

• Like 1

Somehow I've developed a wierd obsession with trying to crash through the giant TV (the one you drive past on Dipping In). I drove past it in Freemode and shot it, and saw smashed glass falling out, so I was like I'm Driving Thought That Fucking Thing!

We were trying to use Havoc's Turismo to ramp up off and flying though it, but it was hard to synchronise, and custom vehicles tending to crash into the bumper rather than fly. We got closest using an Ambulance I stole - and once I parked a Pony next to it and just climbed up and walked through, which was no fun at all.

It's too small to fly a plane through, the wings won't fit. Although I always though you should have a Jettison Wings button in planes, if you want to make it into a Kamikaze Missile.

But last night, me and Cristobal figured out that you could parachute through the thing. Now that was awesome, because although I died the first time I hit it, I took this epic spinning bump too and Cris yelled "LARIAATOOOOOOooo!" as I crashed to the floor. If two or three of you go through it in a row, the glass actually respawns between each person. But you have to slow down and do the coming in to land double shoulder button thing to survive. And miss the race spawn circle right by it.

They've changed the forced weapon on a lot of the deathmatches. Maze is Sawn-Off Shotguns now (instead of Pistols), and Paintball is Carbine Rifle. Still undefeated on that map. I would have won the Railyard Team DM as well, me and Deadguy vs Cristobal, Havoc and Luke. Only I was power player all the way and they took advantage. They won by one. 

I got on last night, no onen was on, did my daily stuff, fiddled w creator and left

On the bright side, i finished my virtual Panini sticker album before Rippa could catch me.

The only 5 packs a day thing is boning me.

I have a race done well  - I already hate it but that is because I am hyper critical. Granted I still need to do some tweaks but I do need some others to beta test.

Of course - y'all will hate it because there are supers and 3 point turns and shit.

Lots of reasons to cuss tonight, for it was freakin' tank season in GTA freemode. One session got so stupid with tanks we just had to leave, only to come into another session that made the first seem like a cakewalk. As soon as we'd blow one up, someone would run and get another one. I can't remember a time where there weren't two tanks chasing us around.

They just ruin everything in Freemode, they just pissed all over everything. You can either spend your entire night bouncing from session to session trying to avoid tanks (which will last about 5 minutes a session before someone gets butthurt and grabs one), or take them out with hard work (which will cause the person blown up to just grab another one and start over) or you can grab your own tank, which will definitely cause the person blown up to just grab another one and start over). 

Last night was tank night for some reason.  Saw more last night than I had in the last few weeks combined.  There were two guys on the last map that grabbed at least 3 tanks each.  I honestly don't see what would be fun about driving around in one of those things.  I grabbed one once after getting sick of those two fools.  I was honestly glad it was on fire by the time I'd taken both of their tanks, so I wouldn't have to deal with the thing.

Did get one good kill right when we got into the first server with our bounties.  I was down an alleyway and saw two or three guys park at the other end to come after me.  Launched a grenade into their parked cars, and the entire left side of my screen lit up with alternating messages of you killed so and so, followed blew up so and so's personal vehicle. 

Got one more ignition bomb kill as well.  Shot a guy out of the Simeon car.  Thought he would come after me, but no luck.  Parked the car and ran away.  Another guy came by to try to steal it, probably as the timer was about to run out on it.

The only 5 packs a day thing is boning me.

I have a race done well - I already hate it but that is because I am hyper critical. Granted I still need to do some tweaks but I do need some others to beta test.

Of course - y'all will hate it because there are supers and 3 point turns and shit.

So long as I get a World Record off of your race if it is ever verified, I am goodie.

I was a second and a half off of the World Record for some damn player made race called, Ewww, You stepped In Doody.  The record holder is some damn Czech, so i think we should bomb the entire country today.

I hopped on late last night long enough to see what the Night Shift was up to and then went to bed.  My department manager has me scheduled for sottware testing from next Monday straight through until Memorial Day weekend, so I will be quite enraged for the next few afternoons and ready to shoot virtual people in the head with shotguns.

I SO want to play Ewww, You Stepped in Doody. You have no idea.

The one guy who kept sending Robert messages was getting absolutely spun around by us before he grabbed a tank. In a way, I understand it - there's four of us and we're absolutely kicking your ass, what else are you supposed to do? - but there's no reasonable place to go from there. We can grab tanks of our own and blow you up, so you grab another tank, etc. Or we can patiently take you down via RPG shots and Allah Akbar runs and etc., which we can do, you will lose, eventually, and you grab another tank, etc.

What was funny was by the end of the night, the cops were ignoring the tanks, pretty much. It's like they said "screw it, too many of these things, we're going home." Tanks ran around for ages without helicopters over them, and it's difficult to not pick up a 3-star wanted level in a tank just by driving around.

Game was really buggy last night - couldn't take cover at one point, the button wouldn't work - and me and Melraz both ran into this deal where you'd try to put a sticky bomb on something and it'd just disappear immediately. Hard to put sticky bombs on a car when they kept disappearing. I tried to attack an armored car at one point and it did this. No fun. 

I SO want to play Ewww, You Stepped in Doody. You have no idea.

It is actually not that bad of a track.  A couple of hairpin turns will fuck you, but it is not a bad route.  My fastest lap time is about 48 seconds and the new Global player times whip me by four seconds.   

I have no idea how they shave off so much time in those turns without doing something sketchy, but at least it isn't obivious cheating like the nine second point-to-point race times for The Hospital Dash.

Dudes are making speed runs with custom Akumas instead of custom Bati's.  Not sure why since all acceleration should be equal if your bike transmission is fully modded.

The guy that kept messaging me was funny.  First he claims to be too good for us.  When I asked why we were killing him 3 for 1, he starts whining about it not being fair because he's outnumbered.  I don't think being a badass works that way. 

I've had the sticky bomb issue happen on a few servers.  Leaving for another session usually fixes it.

Yeah, he sent you that one message about being too good for us while he was running away from us at top speed. Yeah, he was pretty good ... at running away.

http://youtu.be/c4SJ0xR2_bQ?t=2m25s

One more YouTube clip: I swear, at one point last night, I had just gotten into a room and looked around and there was Melraz heading in the direction of four white dots. I thought "here we go," and stole a car to get my ass down there. But by the time I got there, the white dots were long freakin' gone. It made me think of this scene from Blazing Saddles: http://youtu.be/fwNJla8WvoY?t=16s

"Never mind that shit, here comes Mongo!"

We were alone in the center of the map at one point, with every other player spread out around us in a long circle. It was like they were afraid to get within about a two-mile radius of us. Smart idea.

Someone try to dial him up on the two various networks and check his friends list. I would, but I think I'm off for the afternoon.

Speaking of which, just missed Mis. He was popping online as I was in my endgame for the afternoon: sell a car, then leave. He started loading up about the time I was zeroing in on a car.

Bookmarked a NUTTY jumping race. Don't know if any of y'all have played it, something about big air, and it suggests using Adders for maximum speed and air and not the new super (Infernus? I forget), 'cause it apparently doesn't hit ramps well. I saw someone using one just fine, though. No way I'd do this race without a fully armored car, though, 'cause there's some significant jumps (and landings).

Been trying to get the new garages built. Can't decide whether to keep a couple of cars or not. Think I will, for now. Planning to buy 1 new vehicle and steal 4. Half the fun will be trying to find the vehicles I wanna steal, 'cause everyone knows when you're looking for a specific vehicle, they disappear.

We've got maniyolo knocking at the front door of our clubhouse. Anyone recognize this gamertag?

I'm saying no just because yolo is in his name

• Like 2