DVDVR Message Board

70's WRESTLING (formerly: HOLY CRAP! WAHOO MCDANIEL vs JOHNNY VALENTINE! 1974!

DEAN

Oh, shit.  The Soul Patrol's epic promo totally reminded me that The Mongols and the Love Brothers were actual things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGI3Wqa0BVU

Ati Tago is your 70's jobber of the day.

It may be old man haze, but I seem to recall Channel 8 (when it was WXEX) showing IWA at the same time as NWA Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling was on Channel 6.  Shock Theater with the Bowman Body came on right after IWA and then it was time for Space: 1999.

No wonder I spent so much of my time as a kid glued to the television set.

• Like 1

According to the Apter mags at the time, one of Harley Race's go-to finishes as NWA champion was to have the local babyface on the verge of beating him, then dump him over the top rope in clear view of the ref for the DQ, Harley retains the title.

I got to see him do this live as a kid once against Robert Fuller. I thought for sure Fuller had him beat and we were gonna have a new NWA champion crowned in Crapsplat, Tennessee, but Race just casually dumped him over the top rope and that was that.

• Like 2

According to the Apter mags at the time, one of Harley Race's go-to finishes as NWA champion was to have the local babyface on the verge of beating him, then dump him over the top rope in clear view of the ref for the DQ, Harley retains the title.

I got to see him do this live as a kid once against Robert Fuller. I thought for sure Fuller had him beat and we were gonna have a new NWA champion crowned in Crapsplat, Tennessee, but Race just casually dumped him over the top rope and that was that.

That was the finish to every big title match they would televise in the 70s- though Race/Wahoo was the one remember most- as Wahoo chopping him across the face to try to keep from going over the toprope was COMPLETELy fucking balls out.  I guess that finish on TV was used to build up a no dq match nbot televised. It would happen a couple time a year though.  

Pretty smart local finish, actually - Race keeps title, 'cause he's not gonna lose the title to Robert Fuller in a rec center in Nowhere, but Fuller comes out lookin' way strong as having the NWA champ beat until Race pulls those shenanigans to keep his title.

I was just thinking about that - the predetermined outcomes of wrestling are sometimes designed to send the crowd home unhappy, yet they know the crowd will be back.

Pretty smart local finish, actually - Race keeps title, 'cause he's not gonna lose the title to Robert Fuller in a rec center in Nowhere, but Fuller comes out lookin' way strong as having the NWA champ beat until Race pulls those shenanigans to keep his title.

I was just thinking about that - the predetermined outcomes of wrestling are sometimes designed to send the crowd home unhappy, yet they know the crowd will be back.

That's why wrestling is ART.  You don't care if the customer goes home happy, you want them to go home ENGAGED.

• Like 2

That's why wrestling is ART.  You don't care if the customer goes home happy, you want them to go home ENGAGED.

The eternal debate between Northern and Southern booking.  Is it joy or rage that puts asses in arena seats?

The Mongols were billed as being from Croatia???? Whut Da Hayell???

I always thought it was funny that Mongol was used more as a surname for them than it was a reference to their kayfabe ethnicity.  At least they were constant in their work.  Black dudes always used headbutts and apparently Mongolains always crush people to death by stomping on them even if they are billed as being from Croatia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evg_QXzDPCQ

Geto Mongol (Canadian wrestler Newton Tattrie) trained Bill Eadie better known as the Masked Superstar.  Eadie is working the Bolo Mongol gimmick.

The IWA version is actually the second incarnation. The original Mongols consisted of Geto and Bepo aka Nikolai Volkoff (yep, THAT Nikolai Volkoff).

I remember reading in the Virginian-Pilot / Ledger Star that Tattrie passed away in 2013 at his home in Virginia Beach, VA.  I had no idea that he retired there.

Oh, shit.  The Soul Patrol's epic promo totally reminded me that The Mongols and the Love Brothers were actual things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGI3Wqa0BVU

Ati Tago is your 70's jobber of the day.

It may be old man haze, but I seem to recall Channel 8 (when it was WXEX) showing IWA at the same time as NWA Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling was on Channel 6.  Shock Theater with the Bowman Body came on right after IWA and then it was time for Space: 1999.

No wonder I spent so much of my time as a kid glued to the television set.

Folks forget how terrifying the Mongols were back in the day.  They were the first version of the Road Warriors.

The Mongols scared the shit out of me as a kid.  I love their work because as you say they were the Road Warriors of their time.  No wasted movement, nothing flashy, and everything they did hurt.

I dug the fact that they never had a steady double team finisher; they ran with the kayfabe logic that all Mongolians beat their opponents by stomping mudholes in them..

Here is the Mongols vs. Ernie Ladd / Cowboy Bob Ellis match where Ladd turns heel and breaks my ten year old heart.  I was almost inconsolable.  This was the first time I was ever allowed to eat ice cream an hour before dinner.

• Like 1

I'm starting to dig Pedro Morales.

Pedro was pretty damn fun when he was young. He was a real spot monkey type in the 60s- I've seen photos of him doing all sorts of outlandish stuff for that period.

• Like 1

FUCKIN RIP HAWK AND SWEDE HANSEN!  I love the quick tags because each one leads to a logical double team move- thus the BIZ~! isn't exposed.

• Like 1

Oh, shit.  More Rip Hawk.

Beloved IWA.  I miss you so much.

I love this match because it is the classic "What Not To Do When You Are A Jobber" documentary.

That stiff little stomp at the end of the match is the painfully obvious "You need to fucking work on your selling" message. 

Even the announcers are startled when Jackson takes the death Piledriver spot on the floor and sells it with leg spasms only to be thrown back into the ring and get back to his feet almost immediately. 

Then the guy sandbags on a German and gets a shoulder up on BEFORE the three count that the ref blatantly ignores because the match is supposed to be over.