DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

I know you had DoggCatcher in the past and I used to use it as well but I switched over to BeyondPod and prefer that app.  And it's free.  Widgets shouldn't drain your battery. The Note has good battery life from what I hear.  

It definitely has good battery life. I fell asleep playing Magic 2015 and the screen stayed on the entire time. It went from 90% to 40% after about 6 to 8 hours. I've had it at work with me today and over 8 hours, it's dropped from 40% to currently 35%. Granted, I haven't used it today, but still.

That's some great battery life, Craig. Whenever you can get less than 1% idle drain, that's pretty great.

As far as widgets, as odd as it sounds, I don't really use them all that much. I've used the Accuweather and 1Weather widgets and both are pretty good. Yahoo's the prettiest but isn't as accurate as the other two. In terms of battery drainage, it really depends on how frequently the widgets auto update. I've found that once an hour usually has a negligible affect on battery life. The problem is when you have a lot of widgets that are all set to auto update every 5-15 minutes.

Drawing on the Note using Autodesk Sketchbook is so satisfying. Dare I say it's as good as my Wacom pen and tablet just because I can take it with me anywhere. Last night I did a quick sketch of a lamp in my family room and it looked great. Very happy with this phone, even if it's a monster in size.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. There's still some kinks to work out, like the issue I experienced where the customer transferred phones and Sprint still showed there was active billing for the phone. Well, no, because the customer has a new phone. That was resolved with one phone call, though. This change was actually tied to a bill that prohibits cell phone companies from allowing their customers to take a phone to a different company, as long as there's no incompatibility issues with the network that's used. So in this case, normally Ting wouldn't be able to allow the Note 4 to work on their network due to Sprint's rules, but because of the bill that was passed, Sprint can no longer prevent that from happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Roku 3 a couple of weeks ago (free through an app, which is pretty awesome), and I love the hell out of it. The actual interface within the apps is ugly as all hell, but it's quite effective and very easy to use. In the bedroom, I have a Fire TV, and I think I prefer the Roku (even though it doesn't have voice search) because of the selection of apps and how it doesn't immediately force you into Amazon Instant when you search. The MLB/UFC apps are also aces, and I haven't had any issues with buffering whatsoever.

I'm close to getting a new Roku. I'm currently using the Roku 2 XS and it works but it's slow and the interface for some apps (namely Netflix) is really dated. I'm just waiting for them to have a more formal Roku 4 announcement (they talked a little about it at CES) before making the buy. I have a feeling the next gen Roku will focus on 4K (which I don't have) and if that's the case, it's a Roku 3 for me.

I have a couple of Roku 3's and while I do like them, they can cause a hell of a problem.  When I first got it, I hooked it up and put the batteries in the remote.  Remote would not work.  Tried a bunch of different things and searched the internet and turns out it's a common problem.  The Roku sets up a wifi connection with the remote itself.  And your existing wifi/other electronics can cause a lot of problems.  I was eventually able to remedy it by putting my network on a different channel but that doesn't work for everyone.  Hopefully when they come out with the 4, they go to straight IR remotes and ditch the wifi.  

That's good to know about the sturdiness of the S6, but it was kind of hard to watch.  Hate seeing a good phone get banged around like that.

Speaking of S6, did anybody get it yet?  I'm really curious about that and the Edge version, but haven't fully decided which one I want.  I'd love to find out what anybody here thinks of it.  I'm kind of leaning towards Edge though I'm not sure if I really NEED that side view gimmick or if it's more of a want.  Need to find out more before deciding, but definitely not getting it for another couple weeks.  That, and I need to save up funds to even get it.

I quite like the side view the Edge offers.  I'm just thinking how often I'm going to care to check that out.  I would have to be pretty lazy to just look at it when any decent lock screen/notification drawer shows the information anyway.  Old habits die hard, and I'd maybe just do what I do now, negating the point of the side view.

Without question. The issue is whether or not that amazing design is work an extra hundred bucks.

Depending on the quality of your service from you carrier/location, you might be better off spending the extra hundred to get a model with more storage.

But, yes, it's drop dead gorgeous in person.

Man...the camera on this Note 4 is a piece of shit. Reviews said the camera was really goods and about on par with the iPhone. Not even close. Maybe it's just my phone, though.

Basically, on my iPhone, I could keep tapping the screen to take pictures and it was incredibly fast. It would take a picture for any time you tapped the screen. With the Note 4, you tap, and wait, tap, and wait, and wait, etc. I turned on busy mode where you hold down the shutter button, but that's not even close to what a burst mode is. It's so fucking slow. Even with a .1 second delay set it takes already a second or longer to take pictures. Then it takes for fucking ever to process them. The one time I held down the shutter for awhile and it snapped off two pictures! What a bunch of bullshit.

Then there's the quality of the pictures, which is fucking terrible. It's like there is a muppet filet on that makes everything look fuzzy. If it isn't that, then there's a ton of grain in the shot. This is indoor, but I've noticed it outdoors as well. You can barely even take a picture indoors. Even if the room is well lit the pictures comes out blurry since it's taking forever to take the shot.

It's all very frustrating because coming from the iPhone, shit just worked. I didn't have to fuck around with a bunch of settings to get things to work somewhat properly. I have the full version of Camera Zoom FX and some other popular camera apps, but it's the same thing each time.

There's other issues with this phone add well, like it gets way bogged down sometimes. Chrome and Firefox both can be very laggy. In Facebook, if i click on an article to read it, half of the time I came even read the article because it either freezes up or scrolling is barely responsive.

One thing I keep coming back to its that the previous owner rooted the phone. I can't tell if everything else is stock or not. I mean, I think the phone doesn't have a different kernel, but I don't know where I would find out what the stock kernel is. Would it be a good idea to factory reset the device and then flash the phone to un-root it? I'm just not sure what else it would be. Every review I saw made it sound like these issues should not be happening and it's just a daily frustration for me. I'm almost half tempted to sell the thing and then buy an iPhone 6+. I really like other aspects of the phone so if I can fix this then I'd rather do that.