DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, Technico Support said:

sub-buzz-10999-1496856281-3.jpg?downsize

I think we need a revival of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but instead of the Fab Five, starring Mr. Babadook. Rather than doling out makeovers, just have him get frustrated with the straight dude's inability to "get it" and tear him to shreds. You'd be adding a whole new demographic to the viewing audience!

• Like 2

On 6/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, Technico Support said:

sub-buzz-10999-1496856281-3.jpg?downsize

The very concept that there are people that need to be taught how to glue shit into scrapbooks is, to me, far more terrifying than anything that Mr. Babadook has done or is ever likely to do. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2017 at 11:21 AM, OSJ said:

The gay icon that we didn't know we needed (or wanted), but perhaps the one we deserve... ;-) 

Seriously, this is the most hilarious shit I can recall in years...

I was at the National Pride March in DC over the weekend.  I swear to god, I saw at least 10 Babadooks. This is the greatest thing ever.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I was at the National Pride March in DC over the weekend.  I swear to god, I saw at least 10 Babadooks. This is the greatest thing ever.

Just curious, was this people holding Babadook signs, or was it people actually dressed as the Babadook?

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I was feeling a little depressed after having a rather sizeable argument with my woman over the phone today.

Thanks for cheering me up, Carlos Maza. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Just curious, was this people holding Babadook signs, or was it people actually dressed as the Babadook?

Yes.

(This is from LA Pride, but you get the point. Also, the last like 15 seconds of this are semi-NSFW.) 

I am BabaShook. 

The synopsis for that on RT is:

Matthew Donovan, a video game editor, embeds an iPhone camera into his prosthetic eye to secretly record and document a weekend with friends in a luxurious mountain top cabin. The weekend takes a terrifying turn when a meteorite crashes the party forcing everyone to face the darkest, screaming nightmare while somehow connecting life, love, and loss in a twist of fear.

Midway through that second sentence it's like someone just started babbling.  The darkest screaming nightmare!

37 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Matthew Donovan, a video game editor, embeds an iPhone camera into his prosthetic eye to secretly record and document a weekend with friends in a luxurious mountain top cabin.

The weekend takes a terrifying turn when a meteorite crashes the party forcing everyone to face the darkest, screaming nightmare while somehow connecting life, love, and loss in a twist of fear.

So it more or less combines the gimmicks from the Phase I Clinical Trials and Slumber Party Alien Abduction segments from V/H/S 2.,

I saw it, thought it was alright but then again I'm fairly unfamiliar with Marble Hornets. There seems to be a consensus that it did very little justice to the web series. It wasn't anywhere near as effective as Channel Zero was, since they're both based on the whole creepypasta phenomenon.

Spoiler

By far, my favorite part was the cameo by a certain man; not the slender man, but a very spooky ominous figure in his own

right.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So I spotted the Marble Hornets movie at a used DVD place today and was wondering if anyone's seen it/has opinions.

If you're a fan of the Marble Hornets ARG, you're going to be really disappointed if you watch the movie.  It totally lacks the trademark complexity and world building mythology of the MH materiel. 

The acting might've been Blackbox TV levels of bad in the early days of the MH run, but you could tell that the MH / THAC guys were light years ahead of the curve when it came to using YouTube as a platform for storytelling and they were on to something huge.

In the movie, the Slender Man is pretty much regulated to the role of boogeyman and not even a very good boogeyman at that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching Daybreakers on IFC right now. Willem Dafoe just said "being human in a world full of vampires is about safe as barebackin' a five dollar whore" :lol: Line of the century!

I just think that it is awesome that Daybreakers made an entire movie out of a deleted scene from the first Blade movie that was finally addressed in Blade: Trinity aka when everyone is a vampire, where will their blood supply come from?

• Like 1

Re: Daybreakers 

Spoiler

The twist that the re-turned humans having blood that turned vampires back was nice, but why didn't Willem or Ethan Hawke die of blood loss after being bit? Otherwise, I honestly love that movie. Awesome premise, good acting, good gore. 

And speaking of lapses in logic, Re: Don't Breathe

Spoiler

It's Detroit. EVERYONE carries in Detroit. The fact that only one of them bothered to bring heat was ridiculous, as was the fact that they didn't just run the fuck over in the first place. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Curt McGirt said:

And speaking of lapses in logic, Re: Don't Breathe

Reveal hidden contents

It's Detroit. EVERYONE carries in Detroit. The fact that only one of them bothered to bring heat was ridiculous, as was the fact that they didn't just run the fuck over in the first place. 

I thought that;

Spoiler

They explained away the no guns thing with the idea that Alex wouldn't participate in the robberies if firearms were involved or if they stole too much? 

Alex's help was key since he was the inside man that provided the means to bypass the alarm systems of the houses they robbed since his dad worked for the security company that installed the systems.

Alex knew that in the event that they were caught, they were only looking at so much jail time because they could only be booked on petty larceny.  Get too greedy and you're looking at grand larceny and using a firearm tacks on a weapons charge.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I rented The Void and rewatched it again, and then managed to buy the same copy from Family Video and give it to my friend for his birthday and he loved it too. It still makes no sense but then it's not supposed to so hey

Hey, it's almost Lovecraftian so it isn't really a requirement that the story makes sense to humans since soul gobbling elder gods and Chtonic dimensional nightmares never bother explaining themselves to mere mortals.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Exactly! Me and Greg had a good time saying "that's so Carpenter" or "that's so Fulci" last night, but really... that's so Lovecraft. 

I cannot watch The Dunwich Horror or any other Cthulu related horror movies or television programs with my girlfriend because she always wants an explanation as to why things are happening the way they are.

She doesn't understand that Cthulu really doesn't give a fuck about what humans think and bad things are happening to human beings because Cthulu wants them to happen, and the only way to survive the coming of the End Time is to 1) avoid the notice of the Elder Things and 2) pray that you don't live long enough to see the shit hit the fan.

Humans are snack crackers fit only to be consumed by Yog-Soggoth.

I've noticed that people who grew up with the traditional Universal Studios monsters have a rough time handling Lovecraft because it is their expectation that humans will eventually be triumphant over the monsters and sadly that is the extreme opposite of any pulp gothic horror story written by Lovecraft.

• Like 3