DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

The Night Mind channel has blown up lately.  New entries for Alantutorial, This House Has People In It, Unedited Footage Of A Bear, and That Poppy.  I consider most of the new things Nick covers to be performance art albeit of the disturbing type rather than traditional true horror, but it undeniably has an a effect on you that you can't easily shake off after watching it.

BlackboxTV needs to put out something other than prank videos before I nuke my YouTube subscription.

Slenderverse updates!

• The HBO documentary on the "Slender Man Stabbing" entitled Beware The Slenderman debuted in SXSW this past March to fairly positive reviews.  It should debut on cable fairly soon.  From what I've heard, you will dig it if you like true crime procedurals like the totally fucking awesome mini-series, The Jinx.  If you're looking for a documentary focusing on the meme itself, you're liable to be disappointed.
  • Pretty sure you already know but if you hadn't, Clear Lakes 44 (The Marble Hornets stealth sequel) is on permanent hiatus and THAC (Troy Has A Camera) has dissolved as a creative collective.  Tim and Joseph bounced due to professional issues with Troy's handling of the company. Noah continuing to work with THAC was a particularly thorny issue.  THAC for all intent and purpose does not exist.  No word if Troy will continue on with CL44 in any way shape or form or if Troy will revert to the comedy sketches that THAC was known for prior to the creation of Marble Hornets.
  • Noah Maxwell has posted new uploads to the TribeTwelve channel.  Haven't had a chance to sit down and watch anything yet.  If he keeps it up, he'll be the sole remaining ARG producer of the Slender Man Three still creating content.  There hasn't been anything new from Everyman HYBRID in a while and as noted above, Marble Hornets / CL44 is dead in the water.
  • If you are like me, you are totally fucking hooked on the Netflix show, Stranger Things and yeah, the alien BBEG does bear some resemblance to and shares some characteristics with our favorite totally fake internet horror meme.  I will chalk it up to coincidence until The Faceless Man starts wearing a suit.
  • Sony Pictures / Screen Gems still plans to release a Slender Man themed horror movie sometime in 2017 in conjunction with Mythology Entertainment and Madhouse Entertainment.  

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I thought the Stranger Things monster was more Del Toro than anything else.

There's no new idea under the sun.  The monster does look like something Del Toro put on screen and there is nothing about the creature that is unique to Slenderman, since electronics wonkery whenever it is present  and blinky lights are a common and classic UFO tropes.

My suspicion is that The Faceless Man is extraterrestrial in nature and not supernatural.

All of those critters are IMO based somewhat on the noppera-bo from Japanese folklore, anyway.

1977, mother fuckers!  This was during a horror movie boom, so trailers like that were on television CONSTANTLY on television during prime time hours.

What a fucked up time to be a child!  I am still tired from all of the sleep I lost as a child thanks to night terrors.

Ah man, the Ruby VHS box always fucked with me when I was a kid. After watching that trailer I seriously regret never renting it. 

The scary trailers game is probably won by this. They had to rescore the entire film after test audiences pretty much ran away screaming, literally. Also: do not watch if you are epileptic. 

• Like 1

The Exorcist came out in '73 so I really was too young to remember it at the time it had a wide theatrical release.  Early childhood oblivion spared me from months of night terrors.

CBS showed it mostly uncensored one night (green goo in but most naughty bits and language were cut).  

Everyone camped out in the parent's bedroom that night.... with the bathroom light on.

I thought it was kind of oversold as a movie in general for years (in quality, level of scares, etc.) but finally seeing it in a theater with a bunch of naysaying college brats who dumped on it made me appreciate how good it really was. The slow burn did not impress the youngins and it made me pleased that I could enjoy it while realizing how pigheaded they were. I was even more pleased watching Night of the Living Dead with a bunch of them and seeing the laughter and comments get shut the fuck down as the movie progressed; one young lady behind me whined at the end "that was actually really scary..."

Here's a pretty cool article about the Exorcist trailer http://dangerousminds.net/comments/terrifying_rejected_exorcist_soundtrack_the_director_literally_threw_ou

• Like 1

I like the trailer for The Exorcist but it still sorta puts the movie out there a little.  Not much, but just enough to blunt the scare..

I think that is the reason I found the movie, Alien, to be so frightening as a kid. 

Nothing in the movie trailer truly preps you for what you are about to see, but you know you are in for it when you finally see the tag line.

• Like 1

Yep. Hopefully they take the same tact with the new one. Everyone knows the Xenomorph like the back of their hand now, but it can still pack a punch -- that trailer for the last Alien game was something I literally could not watch when it came on the TV after the first time seeing it out of nowhere in the middle of a pitch black room laying in bed one night.

Watching the exorcist reaction video again makes me wonder what happened that the same movie these adults were watching is one that my delicate wife can lay in bed and watch alone in the dark as casual entertainment and "an old favorite" with about as much disturbance as watching It's A Wonderful Life.

I mean, there is a difference in how often we get to see things.  Movies back then were still a "see it once in the theater and maybe once ten years later on t.v." thing and that means the impact of each event was much bigger, so not only has my wife seen the Exorcist many times, but she's seen every movie many times and is saturated with discussion of their process and technique.  They have been domesticated by familiarity.  They can still make massive popular audiences stand up and cheer because that's actually pretty easy.  But they can't make the whole culture shudder.

But what's the closest we have had in the last ten years to anything like that?  Blair Witch had some of that, but not so much people fainting and vomiting, except from the shaky cam stuff and that's dirty pool.

But anything since 2000?

It takes a lot. It's not just gore, even realistic gore because Eli Roth movies are right there but they only reach people who are unmoved by such things anyway. It seemed to be in part because we were just coming into an era in the late 70s when movies could seem "so real" compared to the effects of previous decades and maybe there is a little of the "TRAIN IS COMING RIGHT AT US" in that particular moment.  Jurassic Park then had some of that awe too and I think with the new tools he suddenly had, if Spielberg wanted to he could have made less of an adventure movie and more of one that would have made people literally shit their pants. That's also a difference. We, the big audience, are not really looking for the kind of darkness that is required for that.  And Zach Snyder "dark" doesn't count. That's opera/soap opera dark not Alien dark.

But there is also the aesthetic of realism which is largely gone in horror.  Even pretty good movies like The Conjuring or whatever have a sheen to them and a glossy technique that makes them more stylishly exhilarating than unsettling to me at least.  Sixth Sense had some of that.  It's Shyamalan's one real gift, to re-create the everyday in a way that makes you feel there is something more at stake than just style.

But the end result is that my delicate wife can lay in bed and watch alone in the dark as casual entertainment and "an old favorite" with about as much disturbance as watching It's A Wonderful Life.  And that must make her, by 1978 standards, some kind of psychopath, right?  Like however it happened, are we all psychotic by the standards of just 40 years ago?  Or were people 40 years ago impossibly naive and easy to manipulate?

Are people maybe always psychotic or naive as judged by the standards of 40 years ago or 40 years later?

Duuude...and what if the solar system is just one big atom in a, like, a giant turtle or something...TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE MARTY!!!!

• Like 2

There are very few filmmakers that can create something that cuts to the marrow in regards to fear these days. A lot of us enjoy the grotesque and the weird but not many want to be really scared. They want the illusion of fear but don't want the reality. That level is different for all however -- look at the near worship of true crime and fake true crime shows in US culture. It's almost safe to enjoy the rush of fear of something so common now, just like it was a rush to watch Dragnet or Mannix or something back in the day. Take anyone that watches CSI and its spinoffs on the regular and drop them into Alien, though...

The missus hadn't watched The Thing yet, which is one of my all-time favourite movies, so I was quite excited when she said she rented it from the library yesterday and wanted to watch it. It turns out she got the 2011 movie. So after we watched it (middle of the night, lights out, high volume), which mainly featured me chewing on rawhide to keep reasonably quiet and her being bored, I got her to agree to immediately follow it up with the proper version. God damn, it's such a good movie -- and she was suitably frightened as well.

On 11/08/2016 at 1:27 PM, J.T. said:

Slenderverse updates!

• Pretty sure you already know but if you hadn't, Clear Lakes 44 (The Marble Hornets stealth sequel) is on permanent hiatus and THAC (Troy Has A Camera) has dissolved as a creative collective.  Tim and Joseph bounced due to professional issues with Troy's handling of the company. Noah continuing to work with THAC was a particularly thorny issue.  THAC for all intent and purpose does not exist.  No word if Troy will continue on with CL44 in any way shape or form or if Troy will revert to the comedy sketches that THAC was known for prior to the creation of Marble Hornets.
  • Noah Maxwell has posted new uploads to the TribeTwelve channel.  Haven't had a chance to sit down and watch anything yet.  If he keeps it up, he'll be the sole remaining ARG producer of the Slender Man Three still creating content.  There hasn't been anything new from Everyman HYBRID in a while and as noted above, Marble Hornets / CL44 is dead in the water.

Troy has said he intends to reboot CL44, rendering what we've seen so far as non-canon and rejigging it to move the plot along faster. It'll happen but probably more than a year out. Also despite being a sort of spiritual successor to MH, it was never intended to include Slendy and Tim's departure severs the one tie it would have had.

Also the THAC split was friendship-ruining ugly and included Troy effectively embezzling company funds to get himself out of financial hot water (he later paid them back). So uh, don't expect to see Tim or Joseph in anything in an acting capacity either.

EverymanHYBRID just...man. It's still plugging along but I can't tell if the gaps are due to time jumps needing to correlate with realtime or if they just fucked themselves by killing off most of the cast. Either way it's frustrating how much steam it lost, given that at its height it was sort of becoming the grand unified theory of Slendy stuff with at least two franchise crossovers.

I need to watch more TribeTwelve. I started and just didn't get too far for some reason. It's on the list.