DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: LARRY SWEENEY

RIPPA

One of the best Promos the indies ever produced. He would have been a great manager had he been born 15 years earlier.

I have a match between him and Alvarez on a random indie show that I will need to dig out.

RIP Sweet and Sour

I met Larry Sweeney at Oberlin before he was a wrestler at a mutual friend's house, and he was a super cool dude. We talked wrestling in front of a punch of cooler than thou punk kids and people looked at us like we were crazy. We would see each other at shows over the years and catch up and talk and have a beer and it would be a wonderful thing each and every time. The last time I saw him was after he had started having some issues, and he was standing outside a bar telling people he would bump on the asphalt for a couple bucks. It was sad. I wish I had better words to describe it. If he still knew me, he didn't act like it. I left him alone. I probably should have helped him, but I'm not sure it would've helped. 

The day he died I cried and cried. I drank beer, and watched clips on youtube and old DVDs. I called people I hadn't talked to in years. The night after I went out for the first time with my partner. Every year on our anniversary I make her watch Larry Sweeney stuff and I think she gets how much he meant to me and how sad he made me. It's important for us to remember him. He's both the best and worst things about pro wrestling. Thank you Rippa for this timely WOTD.

• Like 6

Does anyone have the video where he arm-wrestled the little kid at the beginning of a CHIKARA show? From like maybe 2006 or 2007, thereabouts. I think they did it just to kill time, for some reason the show wasn't ready to start yet, but it was a glorious segment.

Goddamn, it's been four years already. Sweeney is one of the biggest "what if's" in wrestling. I feel like he would have eventually made his way to NXT and get a shot on the main roster. He would have made an awesome announcer, manager, or any role in the 'E. The Chikara tribute and the Quack match tribute are hard to watch without getting misty eyed.