DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

Poor Jury.

Good chance Tate/Eye is a #1 contender fight. Hope Tate loses. No need for another Rousey/Tate fight.

Besides some moments in the Smith fight, Jessica Eye really hasn't shown to be a great asset for the division. I was really surprised they wanted Eye to fight Rousey, but I guess it wouldn't matter either way. However, a loss to Rousey doesn't exactly hurt your career like a loss to Tate does. At least with Ronda, you get the shine of being in the main event.

I wouldn't bet on Correia lately, but I think we've seen time and time again how crazy this sport is and you can never sleep on anyone.  Fabricio Werdum wasn't supposed to beat Fedor.  Even Antonio Silva for that matter should not have gotten that win.

• Like 1

GriffinBonnar_opener_small.jpg

http://uk.ufc.com/news/UFC-Magazine-Forrest-Griffin-vs-Stephan-Bonnar-1

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/97-ufc/42092-a-look-back-at-an-important-week-in-ufc-history-ten-years-ago

Times flies man. Griffin-Bonnar I is still one of my favourite fights. UFC needed to deliver that night and boy did they with that fight, that show and UFC 52: Couture vs. Liddell II which is also still one of my favourite UFC shows.

I'm not crazy about Jury vs. Pettis, but I guess they want to try and rebuild Pettis and give him a winnable fight after losing the title.  I mean they could do the Diaz fight which would certainly draw, but Diaz is an unprofessional, classless idiot.

From a business standpoint I can understand it being a good decision for Davis.  He will probably get paid a lot more money to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.  He is probably good enough to win the belt.  And if he does really well and becomes a free agent again, that would up his value to the UFC.  Davis built up a fairly impressive resume.  He never made it to the title contender level, but he did recently beat Glover Teixeira.  Plus he's a national champion wrestler and has great credentials.

The problem is fans in general don't like to watch him fight and he's tough to market.  His striking is also piss poor and has never improved.

From a business standpoint I can understand it being a good decision for Davis.  He will probably get paid a lot more money to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.  He is probably good enough to win the belt.  And if he does really well and becomes a free agent again, that would up his value to the UFC.  Davis built up a fairly impressive resume.  He never made it to the title contender level, but he did recently beat Glover Teixeira.  Plus he's a national champion wrestler and has great credentials.

The problem is fans in general don't like to watch him fight and he's tough to market.  His striking is also piss poor and has never improved.

I think his frame was a big impediment to that. The same went for Lesnar. At some point, looking that physically imposing has its downside. Yoel Romero can do good work probably because his brother is a world champion boxer and pretty good for his weight class. It may be in his DNA. However, his defense still suffers a bit because he is built like the broadside of a building. Plus, he has a gigantic head. How the hell do you miss him?

I was looking at some IG videos of Jon Jones training this morning. If Jon Jones was just some regular lanky LHW, JuCo/DII wrestling convert, Phil Davis would ragdoll the shit out of him. However, the Jon Jones I saw working the mitts and pads with Mike Winklejohn would fuck Phil Davis up. I am not saying Davis is a huge bust because he has good wins (on paper at least) as someone stated above. However, he clearly plateaued. He has been under the tutelage of Eric Del Fierro for some time and that fluidity that you hope would show up is still not present. Thus, his fights were still hard to watch.

I think in Bellator, he is going to murk some of the lower ranked guys like he did Wagner Caldeirao in the UFC. He can also do that to their heavyweights as well. I am not looking forward to him fighting at all, but this is the best decision for all parties involved. So good luck to him.

• Like 1

"Douglas Lima (26-5) will defend his welterweight title against Andrey Koreshkov (17-1) on July 17 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn." - https://twitter.com/kidceej/status/590212807649402880

The guy who beat them both soundly is fighting Luis Sapo this Friday somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. So there is that. MMA is weird.

Hopefully Means won't make the fight suck like Hendricks did against Brown.

Hendricks did what he was suppose to do. He took away Brown's only chance to win essentially.

Means grapples well, but he comes from the Tom and Arlene Vaughn "ABQ School of Violence". He only goes forward.

Hopefully Means won't make the fight suck like Hendricks did against Brown.

Hendricks did what he was suppose to do. He took away Brown's only chance to win essentially.

Means grapples well, but he comes from the Tom and Arlene Vaughn "ABQ School of Violence". He only goes forward.

Hendricks plan was smart and a winning approach but the fight still sucked because of Hendricks' Fuck wrestle gameplan. It being hyped so much then turning out that way was a major disapointment.