DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

• 4 months later...

Jannik Sinner beats Novak Djokovic in Australian Open men's singles semi-final in 4 sets. 33 match winning streak ended. First time Novak has lost a semi-final there having won 10 in a row. Before today, his last loss at the Australian Open was in 2018.

Daniil Medvedev has spent 24 hours on court at this year's Australian Open. More than anyone at a Grand Slam ever. Medvedev won three five set matches to get into the final vs. Jannik Sinner. Medvedev won the first two sets but lost the last three. You have to feel for Medvedev.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...

“I brought all my equipment up and then they were on the spider cam, so they just swung the spider cam over. I had my equipment set up and I vacuumed up the bees into a live-catch cage,” Davis said. “Then I can take them out... and release them into one of my hives that I have. They're set up just for this type of thing.

“This time of year is swarming season, so they go everywhere. And I'm just happy to be there for them so they could not have any incidents.”

THANK YOU. I was worried the tennis knuckleheads would just have them all killed, so this was a pleasant surprise.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

THANK YOU. I was worried the tennis knuckleheads would just have them all killed, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Yeah this is what usually happens with bees these days. Dogs and cats usually get sent to a local pound if they're strays.  

Just don't ask what happens when a raccoon or a possum gets caught...  😕

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Rafa Nadal has probably played his last match at the French Open.   He got straight setted by Zvervev and just looked like the magic was gone. 

He leaves RG with a career mark for 112-4.   

He's skipping Wimbledon and will try to qualify for Spain's Olympic team, so he can play one more time in Paris.

On 5/28/2024 at 4:31 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Rafa Nadal has probably played his last match at the French Open.   He got straight setted by Zvervev and just looked like the magic was gone. 

He leaves RG with a career mark for 112-4.   

He's skipping Wimbledon and will try to qualify for Spain's Olympic team, so he can play one more time in Paris.

Toughest challenge in sport beating Rafael Nadal at the French Open. The four losses:

Robin Soderling: Fourth Round, 2009. Roger Federer beat Robin Sodering in the final to win the French Open for the first time and the Career Grand Slam. In the past Nadal walloped Federer there.

Novak Djokovic: Quarter Final, 2015.

Novak Djokovic: Semi Final, 2021.

Alexander Zverev: First round, 2024.

Defending champion Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the French Open before his quarter-final with a knee injury.

The scan revealed Djokovic has "torn medial meniscus" in his right knee. Wimbledon and the Olympics are in jeopardy there.

• 4 weeks later...

Defending Wimbledon women's champion Marketa Vondrousova beaten 6-4 6-2 by Jessica Bouzas Maneiro. Marketa Vondrousova made history last year when she became the first unseeded player to win the women's title but her defence ends in the first round this year.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Defending Wimbledon women's champion Marketa Vondrousova beaten 6-4 6-2 by Jessica Bouzas Maneiro. Marketa Vondrousova made history last year when she became the first unseeded player to win the women's title but her defence ends in the first round this year.

It's the first time since 1994, when Steffi Graf lost to Lori McNeil, that the women's defending champion has lost in the first round at Wimbledon. 30 years!

Harriet Dart was in tears in the 10-point tie-break as she found herself 6-2 down, but somehow she recovered and regained her composure to win a thriller. She edges the 10-point tie-break 10-8 and the British number two has beaten the British number one.

Katie Boulter, the 32nd seed and seeded for the first time, is out in the second round.

Bbc.co.uk.

Jasmine Paolini comes back to beat Donna Vekic 2-6 6-4 7-6 (10-8) to reach Saturday's women's Wimbledon final. At two hours and 51 minutes, that was officially the longest women's semi-final in Wimbledon history.

Donna Vekic in her first ever Grand Slam semi-final.

In the 43 Grand Slams she's played in, she has lost in the first round 20 times - that is her Grand Slam history.

Barbora Krejcikova beat Jasmine Paolini yesterday to win the Wimbledon ladies singles championship. I was rooting for Paolini who has lost the French Open and Wimbledon back to back. The crowd was also rooting for Paolini.

Britain's Alfie Hewett won his first Wimbledon wheelchair singles title to complete a career Grand Slam with a convincing win over Spain's Martin de la Puente.

Hewett fell to agonising defeats in the last two Wimbledon finals but this time looked utterly dominant in his 6-2 6-3 win on Court One.

After taking the title with a crushing backhand return the 26-year-old threw his racquet into the air and then dropped his head into his lap in front of feverish support.

Hewett became the second male player after Japanese legend Shingo Kunieda to win both the singles and doubles of every Grand Slam.

---

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I predicted Carlos Alcaraz in 4 vs. Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon Men's Singles Final. Alcaraz is twatting Djokovic 6-2, 6-2. 1 hour and 15 minutes.

6-2, 6-2, 7-6, 2 hours and 27 minutes. 4-0 in Grand Slam Finals: 1 US, 1 French and 2 Wimbledon. Amazing.

Edited by The Natural