DVDVR Message Board

Evolve

Big Fresh

Dude, you're fine, but do you see the problem where you go from "THIS GAME IS GREAT! YOU'D BE A FOOL TO NOT PRE-ORDER" to "MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF MY LIFE!" Like, that kind of leap shouldn't be possible.

Ever.

It also doesn't matter if it's good. Left 4 Dead was good. A fucking chicken sandwich from Chik-fil-a is good. We've surpassed the point where a game should be merely good. Naimark is right. You'll be penalized for thinking $60 is going to be enough, which it honestly isn't. $60 gets you an incomplete game. At least with Destiny, $60 was enough to get you a fairly long campaign, even if it was repetitive and boring, strikes, a raid, and the Crucible. $60 for Evolve gets you a game with two modes and a grind that sounds like it's more frustrating than Destiny's. 

It's beautiful looking, and I'm sure the gun play is competent, but there isn't enough out of the box to justify the cost for what is basically a 5 player multiplayer shooter that has a Hunt and Evacuation mode. In a day and age where something like DotA 2 is free, it's a whole bunch of bullshit to not only charge $60 for a base game, which is a console games thing, sure, but also emphasizes the necessity of purchasing overpriced DLC.

Destiny was not at all what I expected (which was a strong story). I was dead wrong about that. I admit it.

This is a totaly different situation though. For one, we've got to play a lot more of the game prerelease than we did of Destiny (the beta was much bigger). And two, I'm not going into this expecting a story.

You and I have different criteria's for buying games, obviously, but you do have a few facts wrong. There's Hunt, Rescue, Nest, Evacuation, and Defend modes (though Defend is kind of part of Evacuation, so 4 modes at worst). And as far as "the grind"? Well that's subjective. But I will tell you I unlocked every character in only 2 days.

Turtle Rock and 2K (mostly 2K) did fuck up badly on the messaging of the DLC here, including the pricing. It's giving every the belief that the sky is falling, when honestly, it's no different than any other DLC from any other game. If you don't like DLC in general, then ok. But if you think Evolve's DLC is way worse than manyh other popular game's, I'm not sure why. Except the starting price, which I completely agree with.

When I'm talking about the grind, I'm talking about "mastering" abilities or whatever it's called.

Hmmmmm.... well I guess there's two levels. Each individual character has "Mastery levels" of each ability. Those are easy and quick to level up.

But then you yourself has an overall level. Which unlocks different perks for you to use. Those do take awhile, but you're not missing any real content by not leveling that up quickly. All it means if you'll have Movement Speed as your perk instead of Armor Regeneration or something like that. Getting to that max level is not important to me, but if it is to you, than I get that.

The DLC thing I kinda get, but mostly don't. The base game here has way more than enough content to justify $60.

I disagree.  Based on how much I've enjoyed L4D2 I'd be perfectly willing, however, to plunk down my $60  if I knew that it would entitle me to all relevant add-ons in the future, just like my purchase of L4D2 on release day entitled me to all the new/remade maps and game modes released over the subsequent years.  I worry that my $60 will only entitle me to getting nickel-and-dimed as I get involved in a Evolve community and find myself arguing that I need to spend a few more bucks here and there just to keep up with the rest of my gaming friends.  

Hey, we'll see what happens.  I'm a patient man, I can certainly wait to see what the initial response is and how things progress between now and the Steam Summer Sale.  I still have Witcher 3 to look forward to in the meantime - now THERE'S a developer who knows how to install confidence in their customer base, all DLC is free, even massive upgrades as were done for Witcher 1 and 2.

The DLC thing I kinda get, but mostly don't. The base game here has way more than enough content to justify $60.

I disagree.  Based on how much I've enjoyed L4D2 I'd be perfectly willing, however, to plunk down my $60  if I knew that it would entitle me to all relevant add-ons in the future, just like my purchase of L4D2 on release day entitled me to all the new/remade maps and game modes released over the subsequent years.  I worry that my $60 will only entitle me to getting nickel-and-dimed as I get involved in a Evolve community and find myself arguing that I need to spend a few more bucks here and there just to keep up with the rest of my gaming friends.  

Well, you're still going to be able to play with them, even if you don't buy a single piece of DLC and they get it all. Whether it's unbalanced or not, I guess time will tell, but I haven't seen much evidence that it will be.

Hey, we'll see what happens.  I'm a patient man, I can certainly wait to see what the initial response is and how things progress between now and the Steam Summer Sale.  I still have Witcher 3 to look forward to in the meantime - now THERE'S a developer who knows how to install confidence in their customer base, all DLC is free, even massive upgrades as were done for Witcher 1 and 2.

My Polish game devs doing me proud.

Seriously, let's look at this in a little more detail:

PC Monster Race Edition at $100

The Evolve PC Monster Race Edition contains $131.88 of content for $99.99
PC Monster Race Edition includes the main game as well as the Hunting Season Pass, a fifth unannounced playable monster, two additional Hunters, and four Monster skins that will will be timed exclusives for 30 days.

Those who pre-purchase the PC Monster Race Edition will also receive Behemoth and the Savage Goliath Skin when they are released.

How much content do you get with the "Monster Race Edition"?  Why a whole whopping $131.88 worth of content!  And for the bargain price of only $100!  That's like getting free money!

But wait a second...the base game is $60.  That means the DLC is valued here at $71.88.  

That's right, the business model of this game involves selling DLC that has a greater price than the game itself.  And that's just the DLC they're offering TODAY.  I've been playing L4D2 since it came out in 2009, can you imagine what 5 years of Evolve DLC is going to run if this model is the least bit viable in squeezing money out of dedicated players?  

nopenopenope1.gif

I actually like Destiny.  The problem is that it is very content starved.  If there is another Evolve beta, I may give it a go.

Well considering the game comes out tomorrow I doubt there is another beta :-)

I actually like Destiny. The problem is that it is very content starved. If there is another Evolve beta, I may give it a go.

The game comes out in just a few hours now, so there won't be a beta. There are lots of Twitch streams going right now though, that's probably your best bet to get a feel for it.

I wonder if it's worth exploring a different model for a game like this, which will have a long lifespan for some players. Like you can buy the game for $60, and then, instead of buying DLC individually, you can choose to pay an extra $10 a year Nd that gets you access to all the DLC. I don't think you could get away with that for every game, but stuff like Call of Duty, Evolve, Left 4 Dead, etc. it may work. Or maybe not, I'm just spitballing.

Raise the price to 25 a year, you may be on point.

I'm not sure when gaming hit a corner for me, but games like Evolve don't interest me in the slightest. 60 bucks for a couple multiplayer modes, or 5 bucks for Town of Salem which I've already put 74 hours into as of today. Town of Salem it is.

Now to get all the mods prepped for Garry's Mod and I'll really be in buisness.

Or look at GTA 5. How much extra money has anyone put into GTA 5?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Online-Microtransactions-Earn-Tons-Money-62373.html

"Microtransactions in GTA 5's multiplayer have earned the companies up to $66 million this fall."

What he said.  Shark cards, man.

Same thing with ME3 (which is why I spent an insane amount of real money in that game).

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Online-Microtransactions-Earn-Tons-Money-62373.html

"Microtransactions in GTA 5's multiplayer have earned the companies up to $66 million this fall."

Which is fine, because they don't affect gameplay. It might give you better equipment, doesn't mean your any good at using it. I haven't put in a cent, and I'm damn competitive in free mode when I get going.

Which is fine, because they don't affect gameplay. It might give you better equipment, doesn't mean your any good at using it. I haven't put in a cent, and I'm damn competitive in free mode when I get going.

Hey, I'm not criticizing it at all. I love that model. I'm just saying, they're not making content and giving it away for nothing. People are paying, even if you aren't.

Well, that Town of Salem game looks very neat.

On the other hand, I preordered Evolve (the vanilla version). I loved L4D but didn't really get into L4D2 because none of my buds played it much. So far, one friend has ordered Evolve, so... The beta was a mixed bag for me but I had $75 worth of PSN credits from Christmas, so between Evolve, the Walking Dead season 2 and Shadow Warrior I think I'll get my money's worth.