DVDVR Message Board

Evolve

Big Fresh

Behemoth and the first 4 new Hunters all drop on March 31st.

Great, you and the dozen other people who play this game should have a blast:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/evolve-is-almost-dead-on-pc/

Out of the three platforms that Evolve launched on, it was quickly apparent that PC was a problem. Just a few weeks after launch the game had stumbled down the Steam most played list, barely keeping close to the 40th spot. Just over a month after launch, and that figure has worsened considerably.

Just last night, Evolve reached an all-time low on Steam, barely breaking over 500 players online at once. What’s worse still is that it’s only around half of what the average concurrent number is, with that figure hovering around the 1000-2000 zones at the best of times. At the end of February Evolve was peaking at around 7000 players, and never falling below 3000. Just over this past week, the game has struggled to even break 4000 peak players – nearly a 50% drop in less than three weeks.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/nobody-playing-evolve-steam-right-now/

As reported by Pixel Gate, the last 30 days have not been too kind on Evolve. Data on Steam shows that the number of players currently playing the game has been dropping.

As of March 9th, 2015, Evolve is at number 50 on Steam’s most played video games list. As you can see from the image above, even a lot of older games have more players. It looks like players were only playing the game for a short while, and have lost interest completely as time goes by.

The main problem about Evolve for gamers is its lack of content. The game doesn’t have a single player campaign, and the multiplayer aspect of the game is quite bare. Not to mention a lot of content is not available unless you pay extra for DLC.

On the plus side, I really do hope this becomes a good cautionary tale for game developers - gamers don't want to be played for suckers by paying a premium price for a small multiplayer game with $100+ of additoinal DLC available on release day.  And now you can give them more money for more stuff.  Assuming you still have anyone to play with, of course.  

But for all the non-trolls, here's the info on the 4 Hunters:

evolvegame.com/news/introducing-evolves-next-four-hunters

Besides the 4 Hunters and the Behemoth monster, the balance patch (mostly to nerf the Wraith) and 2 new maps are coming that day also and those 2 are absolutely free.

I thought NPD was just tracking video games sales where Mike is talking about folks who bought it and are still playing it.

Those are two different concepts.

PC Gamers lol

This game was 2nd on the NPD list for February. Don't be ridiculous.

What an unbelievable baby.

February =/= March, and the articles I linked about specifically discussed March playing time.  Thank you for playing - which is what the developers should be texting you every time you log in!

PC Gamers lol

This game was 2nd on the NPD list for February. Don't be ridiculous.

What an unbelievable baby.

February =/= March, and the articles I linked about specifically discussed March playing time.  Thank you for playing - which is what the developers should be texting you every time you log in!

1. So what? They game sold a shit-ton in February, so why in the world would you think a huge success would be a "cautionary tale"? You think other developers don't want to model their games off of games that sell?

2. Anyone who has ever paid attention to Evolve for 5 seconds can tell this is a game directed at consoles. The free DLC comes to consoles first. The Alpha was exclusively on consoles. The fact that you think PC numbers say anything about the health of the game at all is baffling. Mass Effect and the first two Halos came to PC too, doesn't mean that's where their audience is.

3. The "over $100" thing is BS. The real number is $60.89. Which nobody bought and nobody is expect to buy (more on this later).

3. You know why the Evolve hate died down after it was released? Because everyone found ouot that the only DLC to buy add into your game on Day 1 was SKINS. I'd like to repeat that, you are flipping out and have had a bizarre hate-on for a game you proudly proclaim to have no bought (so I don't know why it impacts your life one bit) over SKINS.

4. Skins. Yes, it deserves a 2nd number. Just skins.

5. I'd like you to direct your attention to these charts. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/12/playstation-store-february-2015s-top-sellers/

The first one says Evolve was the 3rd Best-Selling PS4 game in Feb., but that's not the important one. The important one is below, which lists the 10 best selling DLC for the month. Evolve is not on there. Everyone bought the game, no one boughbt the DLC. This does not matter to anyone except you.

6. However, if skins are as important to you as you're making it seem, there's good news. Last weekend, they had an event where if you played one game, you got a gold skin for free. This weekend, they have another where if you play, you get another skin for free. All this terrible DLC you're throwing a fit over? They're giving it to you just as part of their weekend events. How evil of them!

7. Two FREE MAPS are coming on the 31st. Boy, for a money-sucking game, they sure are giving out a lot of free shit.

Why did you even come in here again???? You made your feelings known about this game last month, and now there was no purpose to posting other than to start shit. We get it, you hate skins. Or you love them and want them all for free or some shit. Whatever. They're skins. Everyone else has let it die and an enjoying the game. And if you really don't believe people are playing it on consoles (especially the X-Box One, which is the flagship version of the game), I recommend you watch some Twitch streams. The games are always full. Or stop being a malcontent and try it yourself. You'll like it.

"Burn all skins to the ground~!!!!!!!"

My friends have already moved on and I feel like I saved myself $60+. And it's anecdotal, but my friends feel like the game is a waste. It's the same shit over and over and it got boring fast.

My friends have already moved on and I feel like I saved myself $60+. And it's anecdotal, but my friends feel like the game is a waste. It's the same shit over and over and it got boring fast.

That's cool. I don't agree, but I understand it. I'm just glad you're not rooting for it to fail.

I got about 30 hours of it and feel content never to play it again. It didn't feel like a full $60 ($70 here in Canada :/ ) game to me. The one friend who also has it is never online, so I think I played one game with him and it was a disaster with the monster camping for like 15 minutes.

Playing as the monster is definitely a great experience for a while before the novelty wears off.

People were still playing Watch Dogs a month after it came out. People were still playing Titanfall a month after it came out. But I don't think at this stage anyone would claim either game had real longevity.

GTA V has longevity. Destiny has longevity (I don't understand why, I got bored of it months ago, but it has it). COD games have longevity (for some reason). Evolve, it's too soon to say.

Titanfall has more longevity than people give it credit for. I boot it up about once every 2 months and have never had trouble finding people to play with.

Evolve is never gonna hit Destiny, GTA, or CoD numbers, but it doesn't need to.

The complaint I hear about Titanfall is that there's more combat outside of the mechs because everyone got acclimated to taking them down so many people don't even bother anymore. The mechs in the game are no longer special and what you're left with is an average multiplayer FPS.

Every time I think about Titanfall I think about how cool it would have been as a Tribes-esque game.

• Like 1

Johnny Vinyl takes over again for part 4. He chooses to play as Caira in Nest mode against the Wraith. He talks a lot of shit about his victory before, will that cost him??? Plus, Bear can't promounce words, Bear blames the alien dog for his loss, Bear argues that he can and should wear two headsets, and Johnny tells a story about making a pizza guy furious.

Do all the YouTube BS: Like, Subscribe, Comment, Share, Send us your eldest child

Follow Co-oping Toward Hatred on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CoopingHatred

• 1 month later...

Arena Deathmatch is here:

Forget stalking your prey. Forget the sneaky cat-and-mouse creeping around on planet Shear. If you just want to get your claws dirty from the get-go, you’re gonna love Evolve’s newest free update: Arena Mode. It is a life-or-death cage match coming today, May 26, to all platforms.

HOW ARENA MODE WORKS

The short version: The Monster and the Hunter squad all get dropped into a dome. No escape, no excuses – this ain’t over until someone goes down!

· The new Arena Mode places five fixed domes on each of the 14 maps in Evolve. For those not up on your math, that’s 70 locked-down venues, ready for brawling.

· At the start, you select a map, then you’re in for a best-of-three series of hardcore firefights. The Monster and Hunters are locked in that dome until one side is eliminated. After that match, you immediately jump to another dome on the same map for round two – that continues until there’s a victor.

All the Hunters and Monster begin each match with one perk.

· Monsters start at Stage 2 with 50 percent armor, but can feed on wildlife in battle to regain armor and even evolve to Stage 3. (Though the size of the mobile arena makes this a tough task.)

· The dome isn’t coming down. So, for all you Trappers out there, your job got a little easier.

· There is no dropship timer. Once a Hunter dies in battle, they have to sit it out until the next fight.

· Players can’t change their character or perk selection between rounds, but Monster players can change their abilities.

Obviously, if you’re looking to get competitive with Evolve, something like an Arena Mode is going to be awesome to play – or watch. That’s just a taste of things to come.

• 2 weeks later...

We want to give the Evolve community a chance to earn both new skins and skins from previous challenges that they may have missed, while jumping into the exhilarating new game mode, Arena Mode. If you missed our Arena Mode announcement last week, check it out!

This weekend, the Evolve community has a chance to earn 16 skins! You read it right, the entire collection of Predator skins is up for grabs this weekend, and if you hit the goal, you get them all. Check out the skins below, read the rules, and then get brawlin’ in Arena Mode.

uAdXxll.jpg

This weekend, between 12:01 AM ET on Friday, June 5 and 12:01 AM ET on Monday, June 8, all complete (best of 3) matches of Arena Mode count towards the challenge. If Hunter teams win 40,000 (best of 3) matches in Arena Mode between those times, everyone who participates gets the entire collection of Predator skins absolutely free.

Check back here throughout the weekend for updates on the community’s progress towards the goal.

Things to remember…

1) You can play as any Hunter or Monster this weekend, as long as you play complete matches of Arena Mode, and the Hunter team wins, it counts towards the challenge goal.

2) Hunters must win 40,000 complete (best of 3) matches in Arena Mode to complete the challenge.

3) Everyone who plays Arena Mode this weekend and wins as Hunters contributes to the challenge, whether you play online or solo. Just make sure your console is online and connected to the game server so we can track the data for the challenge!

The winning skins will be rewarded by Thursday, June 11.

Curious about what challenges we’ve already had (and the rewards we dished out to our fans?):

-TurtleRock Gold Skins

-Trapper Predator Skins

-Goliath Voodoo Skin

-Bucket Predator Skin

-Wraith Voodoo Skin

-Parnell Predator Skin

-Kraken Voodoo Skin

-Val Predator Skin

UPCOMING EVOLVE COMMUNITY CHALLENGES AND EVENTS

In the coming weeks, we’ll keep issuing challenges and community events. As long as you hit certain goals, we will continue rewarding you, our biggest fans, just for playing Evolve. So, keep your eyes locked to the Evolve blog (Evolvegame.com/news) for the upcoming challenges.

HAPPY HUNTING!

No doubt it's a bust on PC, but on consoles it is doing fairly well.

Enough that the 2K Games president said last week they consider it "a permanent franchise" (which basically means it's getting a sequel).

• 2 weeks later...