DVDVR Message Board

Evolve

Big Fresh

I'm enjoying it now that I understand what each weapon/tool does. Once I get playing with friends, it should be a blast. 

Does the kraken seem overpowered to you, Fresh? It seems way more difficult to take out than the goliath.

If you think the Kraken is OP, you must not have played against the Wraith yet. That thing need balancing badly.

The Kraken was majorly OP during the Alpha, but they nerfed it. I think it's in a pretty good spot right now. When those black orbs appear, he's gonna use lightning there. Which will kill you. Use your jet pack dodge left or right to dodge them. The best thing to do is ground the Kraken. To do this, use Val's Traq gun, Maggie's Harpoon traps, Griffin's Harpoon gun, and ESPECIALLY Abe's Stasis Grenades.

I haven't seen the Wraith yet. I preordered on PS4, so no unlocked characters for me unlike Xbone users (lame). Is the wraith locked initially? I've only been playing hunter, since getting my ass kicked as a monster in the alpha really put me off from playing that until I get decent at the game. It seems like it'll take a fairly long time to unlock all the hunters, too. At least at my current rate it will be a while.

I haven't seen the Wraith yet. I preordered on PS4, so no unlocked characters for me unlike Xbone users (lame). Is the wraith locked initially? I've only been playing hunter, since getting my ass kicked as a monster in the alpha really put me off from playing that until I get decent at the game. It seems like it'll take a fairly long time to unlock all the hunters, too. At least at my current rate it will be a while.

The Wraith is the Level 3 Monster, so yeah, he's locked. You gotta get one star in each of the Goliath's 4 skills and then one star in each of the Kraken's 4 skills.

If you're frustrated with unlocking, I'd really suggest doing it all in single-player. You can unlock every hunter and monster in about 6 hours.

This is one of the strangest gaming experiences I've ever encountered.  The difference between the single player and multiplayer experience is astronomical, when you are doing the exact same thing.  The monster when controlled by a person is powerful, but the computer controlled mosters can get ridiculous.  I don't know if people just aren't that good yet, but I've had a much easier time killing human controlled monsters than AI monsters.  The crazy part is I think both versions are equally fun.  When the human controlled monster is stuck under your dome and you and your team is working efficiently it feels like you are part of a well oiled machine.  The most tense thing is trying to take down the monster before the dome expires and it can escape through the woods.  When you are fighting a computer controlled monster I don't even throw out that dome becuase I do not want to be confined in a small space with a crazy over powered monster.  Taking down a computer controlled monster sometimes devolves into one character running for their life in order to survive until the dropship brings the reinforcements.  I was playing yesterday and the moster destroyed my team, but I got away while the monster was trying to kill Daisy(the trapper's pet).  I ran until there were 15 seconds left on the dropship timer only to be killed by some crazy animal that ambushed me as I was running by.  It was completely ridiculous, but was incredibly fun. 

• Like 1

They need to balance the wraith in the worst of ways.

I really like how the different characters per class are best suited to the different modes. Bucket is perfect for defense. Hank destroys eggs in nearly one go of his barrage. Cabot's marking barrage and rail gun are made for hunt mode. And so on.

Fresh, you were right in that single player is the best way to quickly level up and unlock characters. I just need to unlock the trappers and I've got all the hunters at this point.

• Like 1

"The Bear attempts to play Evolve for the first time! He plays an Evacuation campaign and Johnny Vinyl (who has some experience with this game) helps him out. Johnny also vents about whiny gamers who don't understand DLC, Bear reveals he's illeterate, Bear cannot stop switching characters, and Bear keeps shooting random creatures instead of chasing the monster."

Why the hell wouldn't you be the wraith? Also, I feel like Caira has the best set-up for an actual medic whereas Lazarus is the most aggressive build of the medics... So it's not all together very surprising that he's the favourite. Yeah, the lazarus glove is rad but it's high risk waiting for teammates to die before healing them. I've unlocked everything and am going to start playing more multiplayer and less solo but the AI was very impressive in solo mode and if I find multiplayer to be the drizzling shits, I have little concern in just sticking with solo other than games with my bud also plays.

Outside of the wraith, the game seems very balanced and those stats back that up. Also, rescue seems to heavily favour the hunters (the wraith levels the playing ground though).

Damn. I just started multiplayer and was doing okay with the Wraith. So much fun. I hated the idea of being the monster initially but now that I've got sneakin' around the map down, it's a blast and easily my preference.