DVDVR Message Board

Evolve

Big Fresh

I played on the beta this weekend and the game looks nearly done to me, many fewer bugs than in the alpha and it still runs nicely even with a mid-range GPU. I'm still awful at it of course, tracking the monster is unintuitive for me and it's hard to keep a team together to fight effectively but I assume things will improve when the game is released and I find a group of regular friends to play with.  Like L4D2, if you aren't communicating as a team you're going to have a hard time.

• 2 weeks later...

The Evolve iOS game is out.... And it's surprisingly good. It's a lot like Marvel Puzzle Quest, which I love. But there's almost no microtransactions. I probably still wouldn't mess with it though except.... You can use it to level up your Hunters in the console game. And even unlock ones. Pretty gnarly.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I'm going to pre-order this fucking thing. My friends and I are a little burned out on Destiny, so we got to talking about what should we play next and they're all dead set on Evolve. I tried reminding them over and over again that we did this before with L4D and that lasted us a few weeks. Whatever. Maybe it will be good.

I want to like Evolve.  I loved L4D2, and I had fun during the alpha and beta tests.  My greatest concern is the way the game is being sold, with an emphasis on DLC and microtransactions that may unbalance the game or otherwise penalize me for thinking that $60 alone should entitle me to the full gaming experience and not be merely a ticket to entry, quickly undercut by anyone with an extra $10-40 to spend.  Seriously, THIS DOES NOT INSPIRE CONFIDENCE:

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/pc-monster-race-edition-100/26006

PC Monster Race Edition at $100

The Evolve PC Monster Race Edition contains $131.88 of content for $99.99
PC Monster Race Edition includes the main game as well as the Hunting Season Pass, a fifth unannounced playable monster, two additional Hunters, and four Monster skins that will will be timed exclusives for 30 days.

Those who pre-purchase the PC Monster Race Edition will also receive Behemoth and the Savage Goliath Skin when they are released.

• Like 1

You will never shake Fresh's belief

Fresh convinced me to play Destiny.

My Grimoire score in Destiny is 2655.  Fresh's score is 400. 

I have drunk from Fresh's Cup of Fools.  The water was bitter.

Fresh was right about Sunset Overdrive. Fresh was right about Twisted Metal. Fresh hits a lot more than he misses. Destiny was a bust and the most disappointing game of my life. But people are still having fun with it (including you, by the sounds of it).

I'm not sure what you and Rippa's beef with the game is.

The DLC thing I kinda get, but mostly don't. The base game here has way more than enough content to justify $60. More than enough. Everything else is optional. The maps will be free, so the player base isn't divided at all. The extra monsters and hunters? You can play with people using them even if you yourself don't have them. My complaint with them is they are WAY overpriced. But I also don't expect them to remain at that price for too long.

There's also no evidence that the DLC will unbalance the game. Right now the Wraith (which is in the base game) is very OP, but that's getting a balance fix soon. Just like Mass Effect, Turtle Rock says they're going to be balancing this thing regularly.

DLC is a neccesary evil in this era, when games are cheaper than ever before (inflation is real yo) and we, the gamers, demand that budgets for them be more expensive than ever before. They don't have to charge $15 a monster, that's crazy. But they do have to have DLC of some kind.

• Like 1

Dude, you're fine, but do you see the problem where you go from "THIS GAME IS GREAT! YOU'D BE A FOOL TO NOT PRE-ORDER" to "MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF MY LIFE!" Like, that kind of leap shouldn't be possible.

Ever.

It also doesn't matter if it's good. Left 4 Dead was good. A fucking chicken sandwich from Chik-fil-a is good. We've surpassed the point where a game should be merely good. Naimark is right. You'll be penalized for thinking $60 is going to be enough, which it honestly isn't. $60 gets you an incomplete game. At least with Destiny, $60 was enough to get you a fairly long campaign, even if it was repetitive and boring, strikes, a raid, and the Crucible. $60 for Evolve gets you a game with two modes and a grind that sounds like it's more frustrating than Destiny's. 

It's beautiful looking, and I'm sure the gun play is competent, but there isn't enough out of the box to justify the cost for what is basically a 5 player multiplayer shooter that has a Hunt and Evacuation mode. In a day and age where something like DotA 2 is free, it's a whole bunch of bullshit to not only charge $60 for a base game, which is a console games thing, sure, but also emphasizes the necessity of purchasing overpriced DLC.

I have zero beef with the game.

I am just pointing out that you tend to be VERY positive about games you are interested in no matter what others might say.

Not saying that is good or bad but there is a history

I have zero beef with the game.

I am just pointing out that you tend to be VERY positive about games you are interested in no matter what others might say.

Not saying that is good or bad but there is a history

I just like games. *Shrugs*