DVDVR Message Board

Evolve

Big Fresh

• 2 weeks later...

Evolve's open beta will be running between January 15-19 on the Xbox One, accessible to Xbox Live Gold subscribers. Two monsters, the Goliath and the Kraken, and eight hunters will be available to play across 12 maps. There will also be smaller, invite-only closed tests on the PC and PS4 around that time

Evolve's open beta will be running between January 15-19 on the Xbox One, accessible to Xbox Live Gold subscribers. Two monsters, the Goliath and the Kraken, and eight hunters will be available to play across 12 maps. There will also be smaller, invite-only closed tests on the PC and PS4 around that time

The playable roster is the same as the Alpha then. A shitload more maps though.

• 4 weeks later...

Information overload!!!!

From IGN:

Below is a full list of the different versions of Evolve coming on February 10, including their prices, perks, and bonuses. And remember, If you pre-purchase any of the versions of Evolve below, you'll receive the Monster Expansion Pack, which includes the fourth monster, Behemoth, and the Savage Goliath skin.

• Evolve ($60 USD): If you purchased the game digitally on Xbox One, you can pre-load it starting today. You can also pre-load the Xbox One open beta right now. Pre-purchasing unlocks the third monster, Wraith, and a third tier of hunters (Parnell, Abe, Caira, Cabot) at launch and for use in the beta.
  • Evolve Digital Deluxe Edition ($80 USD): This edition is available for pre-purchase now on PC and Xbox One, and it's coming soon to PS4. It includes everything that comes with the regular game, plus the Hunting Season Pass (detailed below).
  • Evolve PC Monster Race Edition ($100 USD): Exclusive to PC, the Monster Race Edition can be pre-purchased now. It includes Evolve, the Hunting Season Pass, "additional content after launch," a fifth monster coming after launch, two extra playable hunter characters, and four monster skins that will be exclusive for 30 days.
  • Evolve Hunting Season Pass ($25 USD): Includes four new playable Hunter classes coming this spring (one for each class), as well as three exclusive monster skins, Magma Goliath, Magma Kraken, and Magma Wraith. The four hunters in this pack will be available for purchase separately for $7.50 USD each.

For more on Evolve's special editions, check out our Evolve wiki.

The Evolve open beta on Xbox One runs from January 15-19. If you want to jump in immediately, have it pre-loaded by 9am PT (Noon PT, 5pm GMT, 4am AET on Jan. 16). Monster and hunter unlocks from the beta will carry over to the final version of Evolve.

Evolve is available for pre-order on Amazon.

Oh, and we have the first prototype gameplay test footage of the fourth monster, the Behemoth.

Behemoth trailer:

Here's the intro cinematic, which is much cooler than I expected:

http://youtu.be/sDkIm6ezs3c

And finally, an IGN video and article explaining and showing the Bohemoth in more detail

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/13/evolves-4th-monster-is-a-gigantic-rock-boss-ign-first

SO PUMPED!

fuck, I wish I'd have started it before I left for work...oh well, maybe I can play it tomorrow....

No, you can't actually play it until Thursday. That's when the servers launch. But you can download it now so you're ready to go on Thursday.

• Like 1

Played the open alpha on the PC last month and enjoyed it.  I'm a big L4D2 fan so I like the idea of team-based asymetrical gameplay.  The current rumors about the heavy DLC emphasis are dampening my enthusiasm though.

Not really rumors, they've confirmed them. Not to defend it (because I don't like how much they're charging either), but to explain a little more, I think it's a tctic to get people to preorder. The 4th monster is $15 on it's own. But if you preorder? Free. The 4 new hunters are $8 a piece. But if you preorder the digital deluxe editon? $20 for all 4. They're trying to make it stupid to NOT buy the game early. And I guess it worked on me, I bought the $80 version on the X-Box Store to get all that crap for a discounted rate.

If I'm right, the price will drop on all that stuff relatively soon after it releases. But if you are interested in the game and think you'll play it for awhile (which I wil because it's fun as dicks), the smart money is get the Digital Deluxe Edition now.

I suppose I'm just not ready to spring $80-100 for a game at this point.  If the vast swath of PC gamers agree with me, we'll see changes implemented promptly.  The real concern is that the extra content will in any way unbalance the game for people who own the baseline version of Evolve, which smells too much like "Pay 2 Win" for most people's taste.  

I suppose I'm just not ready to spring $80-100 for a game at this point.  If the vast swath of PC gamers agree with me, we'll see changes implemented promptly.  The real concern is that the extra content will in any way unbalance the game for people who own the baseline version of Evolve, which smells too much like "Pay 2 Win" for most people's taste.  

I don't blame you. But they have hooked me in big time. The only thing I can say though is I think the game is balanced pretty damn well so far. Which must be a nightmare to do for a game like this, with so many variables. Playing as a Hunter is almost a whole different game than playing as a Monster. Keeping that in mind, they've done prettty good so far. And I don't think they wanna upset that with the DLC. The Kraken still needs some work though. Feels overpowered. But this will be a game they keep updated with balance changes. So if the community thinks something is way overpowered, I'm confident they'll fix it soon. It should also be mentioned that even if you don't buy a single piece of DLC, you still get the maps for free, you can still have your bots play as DLC Hunters and Monsters in solo mode, and you'll still be able to play with real players that are using the DLC. They're not splitting the community, and this still will effect/enhance your game, even if you yourself don't get it.

I don't like it, but I get it.

Prepurchasers can now play as Wraith and 3rd Tier Hunters!!!

"Xbox One Pre-Purchase Update: Good news! We have resolved the technical issue preventing customers from accessing Wraith and the third tier of Hunters after pre-purchasing Evolve digitally for Xbox One. Please ensure you installed the Evolve Open Beta Content Update that went live at 2:30 PM PT. The issue will resolve itself by 7:00 PM PT on Saturday, January 17th. If you want to get Wraith and the third tier of Hunters now instead of waiting, do this:

Ensure the Evolve Open Beta is closed

Select the Open Beta from your Games & Apps

Highlight Evolve Open Beta and press the Menu Button

Select Manage Game

Select Reserved Space in your saved data with the Menu Button

Select Clear reserved space

Launch Evolve Open Beta

Clearing the reserved space will not affect your save data or progress.

We would like to thank all of our fans for their patience as we resolved this issue."