DVDVR Message Board

October 2014 NHL Thread - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup Begins

evilwaldo

Another game for Detroit, another hosing from the refs :(

Detroit vs Montreal - 2 periods of very good effort from the Wings followed by 1 period of strong play from Montreal.  Jimmy Howard was outstanding throughout and Carey Price played really well, too.  Pavel Datsyuk made his return and had little impact prior to a ridiculous 180 into a rocket backhand goal late in the 3rd.  Only it got waved off thanks to "incidental contact" by Justin Abdelkader of Detroit with Carey Price.  Only Abdelkader wasn't moving and was outside of the crease.  Price skated into him, completely initiating the contact, and then kind of flopped as Datsyuk's goal went in.  Detroit would have been up 2-0 at that point, on their way to an almost-certain win.  Instead, it was still 1-0, Montreal tied up later and then scored in OT to win.  Terrible call :(  Anyway, another solid effort from the Wings, who are now 3-1-2 but could easily be 5-0-1, or 4-0-2 at worst.  PK is still perfect and defense play vastly improved - both areas under Tony Granato's direction.  His work there has been stellar.  Offense still a major issue.  Wings had well over 50 attempted shots in this game with 20+ shots blocked.  That's just...terrible.  For the better part of a decade, the Wings have had a terrible offensive system that involves skating into traffic and then firing a lot of low percentage shots that get blocked.  A LOT.  Or making an extra pass instead of shooting.  Both of these items happened a ton against Montreal.  

(insert rant here about how the NHL needs to make the goal larger)

The Colorado Avs are falling face first so far this year, and hard.

The goal they gave up to PK Subban the other night was a thing of hilarity.  He basically was allowed to just free roam for what seemed like 10 seconds before scoring on a video game deke.  Not a lick of defense to be seen anywhere.

Oilers would be really good in the southeast division apparently. Running teh table~

RNH looks like a really different player these last couple games going head to head with Stamkos and Ovechkin. He looks comfortable with it. Good to see.

Team that stockpiles young talent and has been going nowhere for years finally has everything come together: could the Oilers end up being the NHL's Royals?

Oilers would be really good in the southeast division apparently. Running teh table~

RNH looks like a really different player these last couple games going head to head with Stamkos and Ovechkin. He looks comfortable with it. Good to see.

Team that stockpiles young talent and has been going nowhere for years finally has everything come together: could the Oilers end up being the NHL's Royals?

No.

I miss when the Blues didn't have the flu/didn't play like crap.

Also Tabe, you sound like a child whining about being cheated every time the fucking Wings lose. Quit it.

It's not whining when you're right.  The Anaheim one was just awful - a blatant hook leading to a one-on-the-goalie game winner with 23 seconds left.  Tough to not complain about that.  I think you'll find I'm a very objective observer when it comes to Detroit.

Along those lines:

Wings vs Penguins - Detroit steals one here.  57 minutes of not-good hockey leads to a 3-1 deficit for Detroit.  Pittsburgh controlled pretty much the entire game with Detroit looking a step slow the entire night in easily their worst performance of the year.  Babcock pulled Howard with 3 minutes left and Detroit scored to make it 3-2.  A minute later, Howard gets pulled again and Detroit gets a break as Z deflects a pass right onto Kronwall's stick open in the slot.  Bang, 3-3.  Then a game winner for Abdelkader in OT.  Pittsburgh has got to be shaking their heads after this one.  No way Detroit should have gotten a point here, let alone two.  Absolutely a stolen victory.  And the PK remains perfect against a team that came with a PP% of 42%.  Offense still struggling like mad though with Darren Helm summing things up perfectly with a million opportunities that turned into no shot on goal, including a clean breakaway that Mickey Redmond explained as Helm "being too fast a skater for his hands".  Yeah, sure thing Mick.  Pavel Bure had that same problem - NOT.  Anyway, I'll take the W, undeserved as it might be.  Helps with the sting of the Montreal game, that's for sure.

So I exit the Devils game and find my way to the practice rink where a college club hockey game is taking place between Seton Hall and NJIT. Fans were fighting each other. HOCKEY~!

• Like 1

Fucking Hurricanes.

I don't know if they can trade Eric. I mean Jordan has 7 or 8 more years on his contract and I thought the whole thing was the brothers wanted to play together.

Eric is a huge problem because he's not a $7 million a year guy. Also I really don't know if he wants to be in Carolina anymore. I don't blame him, but as soon as the team is behind a goal, he seems to just get a cunty look on his face and play like an asshole, taking poor penalties.

I personally hope they can get through this season, keep the Staal brothers and add McDavid, but knowing this team they will rally in March and finish 6 or 7 spots from the worst.

So do they trade on Staal to make room for McDavid, or both?

They are bad but a lot of that's been bad luck with injuries. Over the long haul the Sabres pure unadulturated awfullness will send McDavid our way! There are several AHL teams we would struggle to beat at this point.

Fucking Hurricanes.

I don't know if they can trade Eric. I mean Jordan has 7 or 8 more years on his contract and I thought the whole thing was the brothers wanted to play together.

Eric is a huge problem because he's not a $7 million a year guy. Also I really don't know if he wants to be in Carolina anymore. I don't blame him, but as soon as the team is behind a goal, he seems to just get a cunty look on his face and play like an asshole, taking poor penalties.

I personally hope they can get through this season, keep the Staal brothers and add McDavid, but knowing this team they will rally in March and finish 6 or 7 spots from the worst.

Yeah, both brothers are overpaid. Jordan is making $6m to put up 35 pts. Eric is getting over $8m to put up 55. Good luck to Carolina there.

I don't like the Jordan contract. Eric's contract came right after the Cup win and a 100 point season. I see why the franchise agreed to pay him that much, but it was still a little excessive.

This is the plight of a small market team though. In order to win they have to draft well, overpay for a few people, get folks who slip through the cracks and get really lucky. This team hasn't really done any of those things in a few years.

I think Carolina has some talent, but I think this season is going to be terrible. This is a team that only won 36 games last year with both Staals healthy. Eric's getting ready to come back and Jordan is still going to be gone till around Christmas (not sure on the exact time frame, too lazy to look it up).

It seems like the rumors since the season started have been Eric to Toronto if he's willing to go.  This is one time where if you make the move you have to hit a home run in this trade.    http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/604859

The thing is we have a bit of talent in Carolina but they aren't ready yet.  You can see it against Calgary a couple days ago.  They played a fantastic first 17 minutes, got scored on, and they started chasing their mistakes and the game went off the rails.

Combined with what Buy Me a Burrito said, you also have to add in finishing 9th place in the east the first few years we didn't make the playoffs.  Hard to get impact players that far down in the lottery.  Add in the terrible luck of missing out on Seth Jones in 2013 who went 4th and Carolina picked 5th and got Lindholm, and there being 6 pretty good players in last years draft and picking 7th.  Also I tried to remember someone who played up to their contract when they've gotten an extension and I couldn't think of one.  It's going to take awhile to be competitive again.  What I'm most afraid of is that when they are competitive again, they won't be here in Raleigh.

• Like 1

Was watching Sabres-Ducks and they played "Whatever" by Our Lady Peace during a stoppage in play. So yeah.

And the Canes fans on the board can take some sollice in having the greatest organist in hockey (I say this after hearing he played "Fear of the Dark" by Maiden in it's entirety at a recent game). Not to mention games on radio called by the legendary Chuck Kaiton, the voice of my youth (was a great thrill to meet him in 1993 at the Meadowlands after a game. Great guy). Hoping a local ownership group steps up and buys them ala Nashville.

• Like 2