DVDVR Message Board

October 2014 NHL Thread - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup Begins

evilwaldo

So maybe the Blues being sick wasn't an overstatement: looked awful in Anaheim, not much better against the Nucks, then proceed to outplay the Hawks pretty handily (at least till we turtled and almost let them back in)

For all the talk about Stastny, Jori Lehtera was a damned steal. Point production hasn't been amazing, but he's been as good as I could have hoped.

So...after a few weeks of NHL Gamecenter, my thoughts...

Replays usually take about 3 hours to be available. Not bad. Some nights, it's been 5 or 6 though, which sucks.

Apple TV works great but has a lesser interface. Also, highlights aren't marked on the games, which isn't much of an issue for me since I don't fast forward.

PS3/PS4 are not as good. Interface is better, and highlights are marked, but...video quality isn't great. Or, rather, the frame rate isn't. It's not smooth, unlike the Apple TV.

There appears to be no difference in game availability between the different systems, as you would expect.

So far, very happy with the purchase.

They may also have the worst customer service of any major company in Canada. I don't want to say the world because at least their call centers are, you know, in Canada and have people that speak the native language.

That's the closest I can find to a compliment for them. But my God I've never seen a company whose staff are so evasive about even the simplest questions.

The NHL Gamecenter thing for Apple TV has been the drizzling shits this year. The app crashes after about 10 minutes and you have to exit out of the app completely to restart the game. 

I looked for some sort of news about if this was my problem or Apple TV's problem. I waited for some sort of email or anything to let me know if it was an Apple TV issue. I finally had to email Customer Support and threaten to cancel my subscription to hear that they are working on a patch to fix the issue.

So as bad as people are saying Rogers is for customer service, the NHL itself might be worse.  

The NHL Gamecenter thing for Apple TV has been the drizzling shits this year. The app crashes after about 10 minutes and you have to exit out of the app completely to restart the game.

I looked for some sort of news about if this was my problem or Apple TV's problem. I waited for some sort of email or anything to let me know if it was an Apple TV issue. I finally had to email Customer Support and threaten to cancel my subscription to hear that they are working on a patch to fix the issue.

So as bad as people are saying Rogers is for customer service, the NHL itself might be worse.

It might be you - I haven't had a single problem with my Apple TV.

They were worse than the Oilers just a couple years ago then won a magic random Vezina, so I'm not really surprised they have crashed hard. Doesn't help when you lose Stastny and replace him with 37 year old Danny Briere either. But long term their blue line is probably the bigger worry. It's pretty nondescript even in a league with currently a whole bunch of nondescript defenses. I have no idea what they have for prospects there but they're going to need someone big in the next couple years to really turn around the corner.

They will still have some really hot stretches this year but I don't think they are a playoff team with how nasty the west still is.

Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Olli Maatta will have thyroid surgery next week to remove a potentially cancerous tumour.

The tumour was discovered during a preseason physical. Maatta underwent further tests before team doctors came to a diagnosis. He is scheduled to miss four weeks but is cleared to play until the surgery.

Get well soon Mr. Hockey

Hockey icon Gordie Howe is resting comfortably at his daughter’s home in Texas after suffering a major stroke Sunday, but the 86-year-old, famously known as “Mr. Hockey”, has lost significant function on the right side of his body and is having difficulty speaking.

Dr. Murray Howe, one of three of Gordie Howe’s sons, told the Detroit News Tuesday his father fell ill early Sunday morning and is being cared for by Gordie’s daughter Cathleen and her husband Bob at their home in Lubbock, Texas.

“He’s unable to stand without help,” Murray Howe said of Gordie. “He’s able to speak, but (it’s) very, very difficult to speak. He knows who he is. He knows the people around him. But it is very difficult for him to get up and walk around. So he is pretty much confined to his bed right now.”

• Like 2