DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I've posted some reviews of Joseph Michael Strazczynski's controversial run on The Amazing Spider-Man but not all of them. Here's more:

Sins Past. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #509-514 is written by JMS joined now on art by Mike Deodato Jr. A letter is sent to Peter Parker and the senders address is Gwen Stacy. From it secrets are revealed. A terrible story as it turns out Gwen Stacy had an affair with Norman Osborn getting pregnant with twins, won’t let him near them while dating Peter Parker. Mary Jane swore to Gwen she wouldn’t tell anyone. Didn’t need to see Osborn and Stacy having sex…barf. Sins Past makes for unwelcome changes to the characters history-continuity. No wonder Marvel doesn’t acknowledge it. I choose to ignore it.

Skin Deep. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #515-518 is written by JMS joined on art by Mike Deodato Jr. Someone Peter Parker knew from school, Charlie Weiderman asks for help in developing something. This was a really good story getting flashbacks to Parker’s school days pre spider bite, Uncle Ben’s written great and shows that some people don’t change and take accountability for their actions/choices.

Moving Up/Acts of Aggression/Unintended Consequences/Moving Targets/Extreme Measures/All Fall Down. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #519-524 is written by JMS joined on art by Mike Deodato Jr. Peter Parker/Spider-Man is a member of the New Avengers made up of Captain America, Wolverine, Spider-Woman and Luke Cage. Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson-Parker and Aunt May move into Avengers Towers as they’re homes were destroyed in Skin Deep. A new HYDRA emerges surprising the New Avengers.

A great story mainly for the interactions between Peter’s family and the New Avengers. Aunt May puts Logan in his place and there’s a hilarious moment/exchange between Peter and Logan. Parker warned him, man. This story is from 2005 and it’s interesting reading it in December 2019 with the existence of the Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe and how some of these characters have contact with one another. Ditto for HYDRA's part in the MCU. 

The Other, Part 7 from Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man #3, Part 9 and 12 in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #527-528 written by JMS who is joined on art by Mike Wieringo and Mike Deodato Jr. #3 deals with the aftermath of the Spider-Man vs. Morlun battle and it’s dramatic. This and the issue with the Spider-Man vs. Morlun fight, TASM #526 (Vol. 1) are the only must read issues from the Other. #527 is mumbo jumbo not executed well. Peter Parker is reborn and embraces the Other after Morlun killed him. #528’s better as we discover Parker’s new abilities: All his old wounds healed, can see in the dark and feel vibrations. There’s a welcome cameo, Leo Zelinsky – the superhero/supervillain tailor from TASM (Vol. 1) #502. Mike Deodarto Jr’s last issue.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Spoilers?

Crucible.

It's how they are dealing with No More Mutants. 

The Council decided that mutants can choose to be killed in combat with Apocalypse and if they really are committed and go through with it, they will then be reborn by the Five with their powers restored. 

There are two narratives in the issue.

The secondary one is focused on Melody Guthrie (Aero), who lost her powers on M-Day. She gets to be the first one chosen to have her powers restored, has a swordfight with Apocaypse, chooses to die, and is reborn.

The primary narrative follows Scott, first talking with Logan about this  (it's a really good scene), then briefly encountering Doug/Warlock/Krakoa, so that he can find Kurt. They talk about both the spirituality of this and the fact that mutans have "wills" now, wishes for how they might be reborn (i.e. with Magneto's power instead), and just where the line is for what SHOULD be. 

The issue ends with Nightcrawler stating that he needs to create a mutant religion.

• Like 1

That is definitely interesting to say the least. Kind of wondering if I should just say fuck it and try to catch up with back issues or just wait out for the library and trades. I only just read the 1st issue of X-men last weekend. I worry mainly because it seems like so much is going on with other books as well.

Read the first issue of the Rise of Kylo Ren. Solid enough start dealing with Ben just after the destruction of the Jedi temple where Luke was training him and others. Looks liek we will be getting to see more of his and Snoke's relationship.

First two issues of Star Wars were solid-good. It was nice seeing an immediate follow up to Empire with Luke dealing with the knowledge of Vader as his father, the rebels torn and spread out, and how they dealt with Lando when the betrayal was still so fresh. Lando feels so on point so its pretty fun fun reading him.

Finally finished the last issue of Aaron's Thor run with King Thor #4. That was an excellent conclusion to a wonderful run. Also ended up reading the first two issue of Cate's Thor run. The cosmic aspect could be interesting. I also like the slight tie in to Aaron's run with Galactus having likely seen his death to King Thor millions of years later. Overall its solid so far though nothing ground breaking. Aaron is going to be hard one to follow so I'm mostly just hoping Cates can provide something decently entertaining which has done well enough so far..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It would help if Thor’s new costume wasn’t so ugly. 

I don't particularly dislike the look of Herald Thor, but its not likely to last past this particular arc I would imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Spencer on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5):

Nick Spencer, at the "Next Big Thing" panel at C2E2, announced a few things for the future of Spider-Man!

- Issue #44, written by Spencer and drawn by Kim Jacinto, will be the official first time that Spider-Man and Kindred face off against each other (finally!)

- The "Sins Rising" arc will primarily focus on Peter vs. Sin-Eater, with Peter making "difficult choices." According to Spencer, the choice he makes at the end of #47/LG #848 will have "everyone talking." 

- Spencer says that people shouldn't ask who Kindred is, but what does Kindred want (still not being specific with the pronouns)

- He says the goal is for all of this to lead to ASM #850. From the way he said it, it sounds like Marvel may be planning a return to ASM's legacy numbering! 

Intrigued by all this. I've really enjoyed Nick Spencer's ASM run with the exception of 2099. How Kindred works out will play a big part in determining the verdict on Nick Spencer's time on the title.

I've got to get 4-10 to complete the series (I'm pretty sure), but I picked up Ms. Marvel 1-3 today at a local game/comic shop. It's the Marvel NOW! series from G. Willow Wilson. I'm only on the third part of the first book, but I like it a lot so far.

This is the first comic I've read since I was probably, fuck, I don't know... 10? Something like that. I've got the Age of Apocalypse omnibus, but I've never cracked it open. It's pretty daunting and overwhelming to just look at it, because it's like 1000 pages. So I might just stick to complete, collected TPBs.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I've got to get 4-10 to complete the series (I'm pretty sure), but I picked up Ms. Marvel 1-3 today at a local game/comic shop. It's the Marvel NOW! series from G. Willow Wilson. I'm only on the third part of the first book, but I like it a lot so far.

This is the first comic I've read since I was probably, fuck, I don't know... 10? Something like that. I've got the Age of Apocalypse omnibus, but I've never cracked it open. It's pretty daunting and overwhelming to just look at it, because it's like 1000 pages. So I might just stick to complete, collected TPBs.

Any suggestions?

Stan Lee/Steve Ditko's The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus is THE run for Spider-Man. I spotted it in December 2017 at the last minute putting it on my most wanted list.

Joseph Michael Strazcynski's The Amazing Spider-Man run is divisive. Certainly read the first arc, Coming Home.

My first introduction to Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis was a TPB collecting Ultimate Spider-Man #1-13. It's a separate line to the mainstream Marvel designed for new readers. I just realized the fucker is now twenty years old. Jesus. Ultimate Spider-Man #13 is a must read.

While I wasn't a fan of the majority of Tom King's Batman run, the acclaim given to Vision by him and Gabriel Hernandez Walta is earned.

I'd also recommend the recently concluded Jason Aaron Thor run starting with Thor: God of Thunder - The God Butcher.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #40 written by Nick Spencer, Iban Coello and Ze Carlos are the artists and this concludes Breaking News in a good ending highlighted by JJJ interviewing Spider-Man’s state of mind mid podcast fight vs. Chance.  I also liked how Spidey stayed to finish that obligation for JJJ.

Edited by The Natural

On 3/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, The Natural said:

Nick Spencer on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5):

Nick Spencer, at the "Next Big Thing" panel at C2E2, announced a few things for the future of Spider-Man!

- Issue #44, written by Spencer and drawn by Kim Jacinto, will be the official first time that Spider-Man and Kindred face off against each other (finally!)

- The "Sins Rising" arc will primarily focus on Peter vs. Sin-Eater, with Peter making "difficult choices." According to Spencer, the choice he makes at the end of #47/LG #848 will have "everyone talking." 

- Spencer says that people shouldn't ask who Kindred is, but what does Kindred want (still not being specific with the pronouns)

- He says the goal is for all of this to lead to ASM #850. From the way he said it, it sounds like Marvel may be planning a return to ASM's legacy numbering! 

"Who is Kindred?"" is the only thing that interests me in Marvel right now, aside from what Hickman's done with the X-Men (and I'm mostly interested in Hickman scripts and the world-building, and not so interested in any book not scripted by Hickman).

Although, most of the theories as to who Kindred could be seem really dark:

Spoiler

The original 616 version of Harry Osborne, who was dragged off to Hell when Harry was resurrected?

The child Pete and Mary Jane never had when Peter made his deal with Mephisto?

The pre-One More Day version of Peter Parker, dragged off to Hell?

Some version of Gwen Stacy, dragged off to Hell?

Jesus.  All of those possibilities are really dark

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

"Who is Kindred?"" is the only thing that interests me in Marvel right now, aside from what Hickman's done with the X-Men (and I'm mostly interested in Hickman scripts and the world-building, and not so interested in any book not scripted by Hickman).

Although, most of the theories as to who Kindred could be seem really dark:

Hide contents

The original 616 version of Harry Osborne, who was dragged off to Hell when Harry was resurrected?

The child Pete and Mary Jane never had when Peter made his deal with Mephisto?

The pre-One More Day version of Peter Parker, dragged off to Hell?

Some version of Gwen Stacy, dragged off to Hell?

Jesus.  All of those possibilities are really dark

All of those Kindred possibilities are dark. Out of those:

I can see One More Day Peter Parker and original Gwen Stacy as front runners. If it's Gwen, it has to be THE Gwen Stacy to mean something. For a long time the saying went that Uncle Ben, Bucky Barnes, Jason Todd and Gwen Stacy stayed dead. Only Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy have although you can argue the latter via clones. It would take balls to bring back Gwen as The Night Gwen Stacy Died is a historic comic to this day.

When speculation started as to the identity of the bandaged centipede demon, my original pick was Ezekiel Sims from Joseph Michael Straczynski's run on The Amazing Spider-Man.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Stan Lee/Steve Ditko's The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus is THE run for Spider-Man. I spotted it in December 2017 at the last minute putting it on my most wanted list.

Joseph Michael Strazcynski's The Amazing Spider-Man run is divisive. Certainly read the first arc, Coming Home.

My first introduction to Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis was a TPB collecting Ultimate Spider-Man #1-13. It's a separate line to the mainstream Marvel designed for new readers. I just realized the fucker is now twenty years old. Jesus. Ultimate Spider-Man #13 is a must read.

While I wasn't a fan of the majority of Tom King's Batman run, the acclaim given to Vision by him and Gabriel Hernandez Walta is earned.

I'd also recommend the recently concluded Jason Aaron Thor run starting with Thor: God of Thunder - The God Butcher.

Hope that helps.

Few more:

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, focuses on C list villains in a C list Sinister Six with barely any Spider-Man. It's the funniest comic book I've ever read written by current TASM writer Nick Spencer and drawn by Steve Lieber. Both are perfect together.

Captain America: Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker. The original source material which inspired the 2014 movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Daredevil: Born Again by the team that brought you Batman: Year One, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli. If you liked the Daredevil TV show particularly Season One and Season Three, this is for you.

• Like 1

Concluding my reviews from Joseph Michael Strazcynski's Amazing Spider-Man:

Back in Black. The Amazing Spider-Man #539-543 is written by JMS, on art is Ron Garney. The story takes place straight after Civil War (2006-2007). Peter Parker revealed he was Spider-Man to the world. Spider-Man’s on the run turning against Iron Man and the government. The Kingpin ordered a hit on Parker, Mary Jane Watson-Parker and Aunt May. Aunt May was struck by it. A book I fancied reading for a while. It’s unusual for the actions of Peter Parker maiming and wanting to kill those involved with the shooting, Pete’ also breaks the law.

I liked why the black costume is wrong – rules don’t apply no more. The fight between Peter Parker and Wilson Fisk in prison is memorable for what’s said –what the Spider-Man suit represents and the beating Parker gives Fisk in front of inmates. Fisk knew he can’t beat Spider-Man and now the word will spread leaving Fisk’s pride damaged. I liked JMS bringing up how Peter is now a criminal for what he does in #5 becoming the thing he set out to stop as Spider-Man. What you think about the book depends on Pete’s different behaviour to the norm.

One More Day. The Amazing Spider-Man #544, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man #24, The Sensational Spider-Man #41 and The Amazing Spider-Man #545 written by JMS and Joe Quesada with art by Quesada. Civil War (2006-2007) fallout continues. Aunt May is dying, Peter Parker/Spider-Man searches for something to be done to stop this. Can anything? I know how reviled One More Day is but never read the thing myself until now. Hated how a deal is made between Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson-Parker and Mephisto, the devil to end the marriage so that it never happened, Peters secret identity is restored, Aunt Mau lives. You knew some point no one would remember whose face is underneath Spider-Man’s mask but the other two things should not have taken place. One of the worst fucking comics ever and tarnished JMS’ tenure on the book. The art wasn’t for me either. A dreadful story.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I guess the Kon-El-adjacent Guardian could also be made from the blended DNA of Gladiator and Vulcan or Gladiator and D'Ken rather than Gladiator and Cassandra.  Just thinking about major enemies of Gladiator.

Kid Gladiator exists, so....

The comic book shop I've gone to ever since it opened in my town six years ago put a post out saying Diamond UK is having issues distributing comics to the UK because of coronavirus and are seeking alternate means to get them out. Free Comic Book Day 2020 is also postponed. This fucker is effecting everything globally: lives, businesses, entertainment. Health is wealth. Stay safe NDVDVR MB family xxx.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, Eivion said:

Read the first issue of the Rise of Kylo Ren. Solid enough start dealing with Ben just after the destruction of the Jedi temple where Luke was training him and others. Looks liek we will be getting to see more of his and Snoke's relationship.

First two issues of Star Wars were solid-good. It was nice seeing an immediate follow up to Empire with Luke dealing with the knowledge of Vader as his father, the rebels torn and spread out, and how they dealt with Lando when the betrayal was still so fresh. Lando feels so on point so its pretty fun fun reading him.

Finally finished the last issue of Aaron's Thor run with King Thor #4. That was an excellent conclusion to a wonderful run. Also ended up reading the first two issue of Cate's Thor run. The cosmic aspect could be interesting. I also like the slight tie in to Aaron's run with Galactus having likely seen his death to King Thor millions of years later. Overall its solid so far though nothing ground breaking. Aaron is going to be hard one to follow so I'm mostly just hoping Cates can provide something decently entertaining which has done well enough so far..

I really enjoyed Jason Aaron's Thor run as well. You've reminded me to post full reviews of Jason Aaron's Thor run. Cheers, @Eivion. I've never posted any till now. Thor be like: "Paul, I 'll have words with thee!"

Thor: God of Thunder – The God Butcher collects Thor: God of Thunder #1-5. The story is about Gods/their purpose as Thor Odinson battles Gorr, the God butcher years earlier, now and many years later. Thor Odinson is overconfident in the past, mature in the present and weary elder in the future. I liked that, ditto this book on Gods, belief and prayers. Creepy design of Gorr, the God Butcher too.

Thor: God of Thunder – Godbomb collects Thor: God of Thunder #6-11. #6 acts as backstory as to why Gorr the God Butcher has issues with Gods, it was a solid read. Better still is #7-11 as Gorr has enslaved Gods he hasn’t murdered to build the Godbomb to kill all Gods. It’s set over a time stream so we see cocky Thor from the Viking period, Thor of the Avengers in his prime and an older King Thor. I enjoyed that story with Gods forced into slavery to make that will wipe them out. The Gods also want to prove Gorr wrong.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron collects Thor (Vol. 4) #1-5. Thor is no longer worthy of picking up Mjolnir. Malekith the Accursed has made a pact with the frost giants as they’re after something on Midgard held by Roxxon. Someone is worthy of lifting Mjolnir and with it the power of Thor. This was a great book, significant in the history of Thor and comic books as the new Thor is a woman. I liked thought bubbles were used for Thor: Goddess of Thunder reacting to all that is happening around her. We get differing responses to the arrival of a Lady Thor. There’s friction between All-father Odin and All-mother Freyja. As you’d expect there’s an Old Thor vs. New Thor battle also.

Thor: Who Holds the Hammer? This book collects Thor Annual (2015) #1, Thor (Vol. 4) #6-8 and What If? #10. Thor Annual (2015) #1 is made up of three short stories. King Thor is old and his relatives wonder how to mark his birthday, Lady Thor getting set tests by the Warriors Three seeing how she does and a story before Thor was worthy of Mjolnir taking on Mephisto. The annual was fine and nothing essential like most annuals are.

In Thor #6-9 Prince Odinson, formerly the Mighty Thor is trying to find out who is the new Thor? This Thor goes to stop Roxxon’s misdeeds but finds a deadly opponent sent by Odin to reclaim Mjolnir. A great story for these, the reveal of Thor’s identity and the discourse between King Odin/Lady Freyja. What If? #10 is an attempt at a different Thor as told by the Watcher preceding what was to come years later.

Thors collects Thors #1-4 and The Mighty Thor (Vol 1) #364-365. In Thors 1-4 written by Jason Aaron and Chris Sprouse art, Thors men and women patrol and enfore the rules of All-Father Doom on Battleworld in Secret Wars. There’s a killer on the loose needing to be caught and Thors believe the few who remember the world before this? I enjoyed it seeing Thor the Unworthy, Ultimate Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Jane Foster Thor mingle. I will say the reasons for the killings were ropey and something should have happened to the killer much sooner. In The Mighty Thor (Vol. 1) #364-365 written and drawn by Walter Simonson, Thor has been turned into a frog by Loki. Thor needs to get his body back and return to Asgard for the althing. However he helps his fellow frogs battle their rival rats. I enjoyed this surreal story though wish it was the original colouring version.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1