DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Marauders  is real fun, ditto New Mutants

Excalibur is also fun just is a way that is very... Excalibur. I like that we have Betssy back as Betsy after decades of fucked up shared body bullshit

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Marauders  is real fun, ditto New Mutants

Excalibur is also fun just is a way that is very... Excalibur. I like that we have Betssy back as Betsy after decades of fucked up shared body bullshit

James

I should've been clearer.  I'm reading all the current X-books except Fallen Angels (which I dropped after #2) and enjoying them.  Issue 4 of X-Men is still the first time any of the ongoings have felt like they're engaging really strongly with the themes of Hoxpox, IMO.  The ongoings have all sprung from the Krakoa setup, but they haven't felt like they're really ABOUT mutants' sudden global hegemony and the way it affects the traditional 'world that hates and fears us' setup.  (X-Force and the Brisson issues of NM have come closest)

48 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I should've been clearer.  I'm reading all the current X-books except Fallen Angels (which I dropped after #2) and enjoying them.  Issue 4 of X-Men is still the first time any of the ongoings have felt like they're engaging really strongly with the themes of Hoxpox, IMO.  The ongoings have all sprung from the Krakoa setup, but they haven't felt like they're really ABOUT mutants' sudden global hegemony and the way it affects the traditional 'world that hates and fears us' setup.  (X-Force and the Brisson issues of NM have come closest)

I mean sure, but isn't Piracy and Kate Pryde wrecking people better than that? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Is it me or are they subtly making it look like Kate is getting to in to being a pirate and becoming somewhat of an alcoholic?

James

oh, they're not being subtle at all.  I have no doubt that she's gonna end up at the same AA meeting as Tony and Carol someday.

• Sad 2

On 1/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

oh, they're not being subtle at all.  I have no doubt that she's gonna end up at the same AA meeting as Tony and Carol someday.

Good then its not just me. Y'know, for someone who has been adventuring sincethe age of 13 Ms. Pryde sure has been and seen some harrowing fucking shit. I'm stunned she wasn't drinking before she was 16

James

22 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Good then its not just me. Y'know, for someone who has been adventuring sincethe age of 13 Ms. Pryde sure has been and seen some harrowing fucking shit. I'm stunned she wasn't drinking before she was 16

Especially being Logan's sidekick. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #35 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Oscar Bazaldua. Doctor Doom and his Doombots are after the perpetrator who tried to assassinate him. The arc continues to be such a disappointment – too much things going on, Spider-Man 2099 is hardly there and Spidey’s made to be stupid. Least it’s over nearly.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #36 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Oscar Bazaldua. Spider-Man and Doctor Doom go at, issue’s worth reading for that interaction and a twist in the tale I didn’t see coming. This arc was a real disappointment. There’s barely any Spider-Man 2099, he appears and then quickly disappears. Bland art by Bazaldua as well. Be glad for the title to return to pre-events as the next issues look to be.

Edited by The Natural

Okay I'm issue 4 of the new Ghost Rider Series and I think I'm done now. It's just all over the place and not good. Issue 4 states that it's the CONCLUSION of THE KING OF HELL storyline. Literally nothing is concluded. And what does happen doesn't make much sense. And some of it you don't even know how we got there.  Then Danny Ketch gets new powers and a new costume and it's....really not inspiring.

Also a question

What current Marvel comic has the best, most consistent art?

I've been picking up a lot of books and it's like the art is an after thought. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Okay I'm issue 4 of the new Ghost Rider Series and I think I'm done now. It's just all over the place and not good. Issue 4 states that it's the CONCLUSION of THE KING OF HELL storyline. Literally nothing is concluded. And what does happen doesn't make much sense. And some of it you don't even know how we got there.  Then Danny Ketch gets new powers and a new costume and it's....really not inspiring.

Also a question

What current Marvel comic has the best, most consistent art?

I've been picking up a lot of books and it's like the art is an after thought. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) has Ryan Ottley, Humberto Ramos who I know divides opinion and Patrick Gleason.

Edited by The Natural

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The Hulk's art by Joe Bennett mainly has been pretty good. 

After finishing up Vol. 5 earlier I was about to mention how I forgot about Immortal Hulk. The art in that one is a wonderful horror show and definitely up there with the better art from the Marvel comics I'm reading.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:20 PM, Eivion said:

After finishing up Vol. 5 earlier I was about to mention how I forgot about Immortal Hulk. The art in that one is a wonderful horror show and definitely up there with the better art from the Marvel comics I'm reading.

I've gotten really interested in the story Ewing is telling in Hulk.  Probably my favorite Marvel book lately.

• Like 1

So is Immortal Hulk the book I want or is there another one?

I'll fucking check them out because I love Hulk but I don't think I've liked the direction over the last 15-20 years(probably more). What's the idea? I just don't like the idea of multiple people with Hulk powers.(Like everyone is a Hulk of a different color totally turns me off.)

I just finished all the #3's of the X-Books and almost everything has gotten into an entertaining groove. Excalibur was not a book I thought I'd like (and I think they still write a shitty Gambit) but it's gotten to a space I'm really enjoying. Same with Marauders. X-Force at this point feels like the most capital X-MEN book dealing with some tactical shit and some philosophy at the same time. New Mutants kind of took a turn during the switch for writers but I like the new direction BETTER than what Hickman was doing.

Hickman is a great ideas guy and I LOVE what he's created for the X-Universe, but I don't know if I actually enjoy reading his monthly work. His current X-Men work is like Yeah, that's an awesome idea, I wish I didn't have to read a dossier to get it. It's also kinda been "Cyclops walks around and runs into problems"- which I don't feel does Cyclops or the series any favors. Though the Horticulture is a fun villain group and "You look like an S-word with a P-word problem" is one of the funniest pages in comics in a while.

Fallen Angels is probably the weakest, which sucks because it has great potential. The art is almost cool but not executed well enough to be incredible, and the story is kinda ho hum. Kwannon has her body back but I don't think anyone knows how to make her interesting.

Read Slott's Iron Man run.  Regret that decision very much.  Didn't feel like the writing on the book (issue to issue) was anything special and I kinda hate almost everything he's done with the character.

I might read Iron Man 2020 because I'm morbidly curious how Slott walks this back, but Superior lasted a few years before Slott brought Peter back and I'm probably not interested in putting that sort of time into the book.  Sigh.  And I thought babyface Dr. Doom was a terrible idea....

It's a tossup which I dislike more....

Spoiler

Tony as a rogue AI/Arno as Iron Man, or Hank's "permanent" death.  Probably the Hank stuff.  Both of these deaths are going to be undone eventually, but Tony's at least is a vehicle to the larger story Slott wants to tell.  Hank's death could last awhile and the idea that Ultron/Pym is just a deluded version of Ultron is probably going to turn out be be more of a throwaway midcard angle than an important plot point.  Though, admittedly, Slott's take does make more sense than the idea that Pym's mind somehow fused with Ultron's AI.