DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Resuming where I left off...

The Mighty Thor: Thunder In Her Veins collects The Mighty Thor (Vol. 3) #1-5. Dr. Jane Foster as her alter ego, Thor has to deal with a War of the Realms and Odin/his forces out to get her. I really enjoyed this, the Congress of World politics with some siding with others or against with issue #3’s focus on the Thor/Loki dynamic over the years. The latter was well done.

The Mighty Thor: Lords of Midgard collects Mighty Thor (Vol. 3) #6-12. #6-7, Roxxon Oil’s Dario Agger enlists Loki for allies. Loki tells him how he’s made those deals dating back a long time ago. A pointless story and I didn’t like Rafa Garres’ art for this period. #8-11, Jane Foster is Thor. S.H.I.E.L.D. is investigating Jane Foster to link her to the new Mighty Thor. Thor teams up with S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Roz Solomon as corrupt companies attack Dario Agger for his secret dealings with Malekith/Loki. A good story for this and what Thor does at the end knowing what it felt to be lied to. Not convinced about a new ability to Mjolnir though. Thor herself isn’t sure how it works. #13 tells the history of Mjolnir, that I right enjoyed as it flies Thor to the Hall of All-Knowing library.

The Unworthy Thor collects The Unworthy Thor #1-5. Thor Odinson finds there’s a Mjolnir from the Ultimate line out there but he’s not the only one after it. I liked this for the most part with a doubting Thor teaming up with Beat Ray Bill and the demand for the hammer. Unfortunate the last issue fells rushed and an anticlimactic reveal long time in the making as to why Thor can’t pick up Mjolnir. Remember our reactions to that, @Eivion?

The Mighty Thor: The Asgard/Shi’ar War collects The Mighty Thor (Vol. 3) #13-19 by Jason Aaron. #12-14 brings the reformation of the League of Realms to free Alfheim of occupation by Malekith and his dark elves. I enjoyed this story with the group coming together because Congress has done nothing so they rebel. I preferred it to the story the book is named by as Thor is challenged by the Shi’ar Gods and Asgard responds to the Shi’ar invasion of Asgard. This was still good showing the difference between a kind God in Thor and the Gods of the Shi’ar putting their own people in deliberate harms way. Divinity.

The Mighty Thor: The War Thor collects The Mighty Thor (Vol. 3) #20-23 and Generations: The Unworthy Thor and the Mighty Thor by Jason Aaron. Another Thor arrives on the scene, the War Thor through Ultimate Thor’s Mjolnir. I liked this story, the influence that Mjolnir has on the wielder from a dead universe, War Thor vs. Jane Foster Thor as key Thor villains cabal against the Ten Realms.

In the Generations story, a much younger Thor not worthy yet of picking up Mjolnir comes into contact with Jane Foster Thor both answer the prayers of vikings up against Apocalypse and his followers. A good simple story bringing the two Thors from different times together.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, Eivion said:

Honestly, not too well outside of being on the disappointing side.

That was both our reactions to the reason why Thor wasn't worthy to lift Mjolnir. I believe Original Sin event came out in 2014 and The Unworthy Thor in 2016-2017.

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They took too long. It was never going to measure up with taking that long to explain.

Agreed. Expectations increase and if you don't deliver, it falls flat on it's ass. I hope Kindred's worth the lengthy build in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run.

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Agreed. Expectations increase and if you don't deliver, it falls flat on it's ass. I hope Kindred's worth the lengthy build in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run.

With the limited choices of who Kindred is, that one is probably going to come down more to execution and consequences. It has the benefit of already having actual build unlike the unworthy stuff which came semi-randomly and was then mostly left alone for 2-3 years. With Kindred they at least leave bits that have you actually curious and guessing as to who the hell he actually is.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

With the limited choices of who Kindred is, that one is probably going to come down more to execution and consequences. It has the benefit of already having actual build unlike the unworthy stuff which came semi-randomly and was then mostly left alone for 2-3 years. With Kindred they at least leave bits that have you actually curious and guessing as to who the hell he actually is.

Agreed.  I think it will be execution.  I think KIndred is probably one of the more outlandish suspects that have been postulated.  Ezekiel (from JMS's run) has been tossed out as a suspect, but I don't know how much impact that would have.  He's never been a major character, so it's debatable how many fans would remember him/care.

I think:

Spoiler

KIndred is probably the pre-One More Day version of Harry Osborne that wasn't resurrected and instead was dragged to hell... somehow.  I almost think they might run with pre-One More Day Peter Parker (also dragged to Hell when Pete made a deal with Mephisto and the old version of himself was overwritten and replaced), but that seems way too dark for Marvel and would sorta cover the same ground as the Peter Parker/Ben Reilly "Who is the real Spider-Man" angle they did - which would lessen the impact.  

I feel like revealing Kindred as the version of May Parker that was never born because of Brand New Day would be way too dark....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I think its one of the first two likelies you mentioned. That third one wouldn't quite make sense due to age and going way too dark as you mentioned.

I think its one of the first two names posted in the spoiler tags by Tarheel Moneghetti. For a while I thought it might be Ezekiel Sims. I wouldn't rule the original Gwen Stacy out as a possibility. If it's Gwen Stacy, you'd hope the story delivers as The Night Gwen Stacy Died is iconic and it's not just done for shock value. I trust in Nick Spencer going by his track record: the terrific Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Steve Rogers/Captain America is HYDRA and his run on The Amazing Spider-Man minus the 2099 event.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:31 PM, The Natural said:

Hide contents

I think its one of the first two names posted in the spoiler tags by Tarheel Moneghetti. For a while I thought it might be Ezekiel Sims. I wouldn't rule the original Gwen Stacy out as a possibility. If it's Gwen Stacy, you'd hope the story delivers as The Night Gwen Stacy Died is iconic and it's not just done for shock value. I trust in Nick Spencer going by his track record: the terrific Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Steve Rogers/Captain America is HYDRA and his run on The Amazing Spider-Man minus the 2099 event.

I don't think it will be:

Spoiler

Gwen Stacy, because they've gone to that well alot and it won't have the same impact.  I guess revealing Kindred to be the original Gwen Stacy (as opposed to a clone or alternate from another timeline) would be... something, but it still dilutes the impact considering how many clone and dopplegangers from other universes they've played.  And something like that is just begging to be retconned by a different writer.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

Carrying on Jason Aaron's Thor run...

The Mighty Thor: The Death of the Mighty Thor collects The Mighty Thor #700-706 (2015) and Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla by Jason Aaron. #700 is narrated by the Norns as a tribute to Thor’s history from Jane Foster Thor vs. She-Hulk, Thor’s failed tries at lifting Mjolnir and Throg. Artists included Walter Simonson, Russell Dauterman and Oliver Coipel. It’s fitting for the #700 looking at what was, the now and to come.

The title story occurs in #701-706, the Mangog does a number on Asgard and the key Gods in Thor Odinson, King Odin, Freyja and Heimdall. Jane Foster Thor takes up the fight despite her cancer in mortal form getting told her body wouldn’t survive one transformation back. This was one of the best stories in Aaron’s run on Thor. A moving and heroic farewell to Jane’s time as wielder of Mjolnir and holder of the Thor mantle, I’m getting hairs standing up thinking to Jane’s sacrifice here. Foster Thor is a period I’m fond off. This was also the last issue drawn by Russell Dauterman from Thor #1 (2014), Jane’s debut as Thor: Goddess of Thunder till now. Russell’s art was consistently a highlight.

Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla is made of two stories, a search for Jane Foster by King Thor’s granddaughters, Ellisiv, Atli and Frigg and the other another tease of Malekith’s War of the Realms. It’s fine. The book includes a piece by Jason/Russell on their Jane as Thor run and variant covers, appreciated extras.

Thor: God of Thunder Reborn collects Thor (2018) #1-6 by long time Thor writer, Jason Aaron and the artists Mike Del Mundo and Christian Ward. #1-4, Thor and Loki are in Niffleheim, hell meeting old faces and doing battle with Sinder and her followers there. The story was fine, liked the cameo characters showing up. Del Mundo’s art took a little time to get used to because I had the same with Frazer Irving. I preferred #4-6 returning to King Thor and his granddaughters during his time on the book. Here the elder All-Father faces Old Man Logan/Phoenix and Doctor Doom hopped up on powers including Doctor Strange’s in combat with the fate of New Midgard on the line.

Carrying on Jason Aaron's Thor stories with the Avengers:

Marvel Legacy collects said Marvel Legacy #1 plus the Marvel Primer Pages and Foom Magazine (2017). Marvel Legacy #1’s written by Jason Aaron and drawn by different artists including Esad Ribic, Chris Samnee and Russell Dauterman. The issue acts as things to come, the prehistoric Avengers downing a Celestial which will have consequences from the present day Avengers in the Final Host. The narrator repeats the legacy theme throughout. An example of that: Sam Wilson, Jane Foster and Riri Williams as Captain America, Thor and Iron Man, well Ironheart. The issue hosts a notable character returning from deah. I liked this though it reminded me of a much better one-shot in DC Universe Rebirth #1 as it was compared to on release.

The Marvel Primer Pages are three new pages summing up the characters back story like a bio all written by Robbie Thompson (Silk) drawn by different artists primarily Mark Bagley. I just read the characters I’m interested in: Spider-Man, Captain America, Spider-Gwen, Daredevil and Thor stood out. Foom acts as a advert for Marvel Legacy, what it’s about. If you want to read Marvel Legacy #1, might work out cheaper getting it as a single instead.

Avengers (2018) #1 by Jason Aaron. There are readings of something happening in various locations so groupings look into it. Captain America/Iron Man/Thor back together for the first time in a while I believe it is and Black Panther with Doctor Strange. I enjoyed this issue starting with the BC Avengers most notable of them: Odin, Agamotto, the Dark Phoenix and the talk between Cap/Tony/Odinson in the bar over HYDRA Cap/Stark’s coma/Unworthy Thor but more importantly the future of the Avengers.

Avengers: The Final Host collects material from Free Comic Book Day 2018 (Avengers/Captain America) and Avengers (2018) #1-6. Written by Jason Aaron. Artists vary from Sara Pichelli, Ed McGuinness and Paco Medina. The titular Final Host arrives, Dark Celestials go up against the reformed Avengers. I liked some parts of this, the prehistoric Avengers including Odin and Agamotto for the setup goes way back when and how Loki is written. The plot itself is muddled. Not keen on this interpretation of She-Hulk and Doctor Strange sounded off too.

Avengers: World Tour, Avengers (2018) #7-12. Written by Jason Aaron. Artists vary from Sara Pichelli, Ed McGuinness and David Marquez. The Avengers are getting acquainted with their new base, Avengers Mountain and have to contend with Namor’s Defenders of the Deep and the Winter Guard from Russia. I enjoyed this more than the last one seeing the Avengers in their new base of operations, the faction warfare, Namor’s narration about his life is well done and T’Challa/Black Panther’s recruiting after he’s named Avengers chairperson.

Edited by The Natural

i finished by original Human Torch (Jim Hammond) read. 

the Golden Age stuff was exactly what you'd expect. the same basic story, with slight variations, told dozens of times. they're generally fine, but kind of a slog when you read them for extended periods.

the Silver Age stuff (his reappearance in F4, the Invaders v1 series) was very good. the Invaders series in particular is definitely a highlight of this project.

the 80s-90s stuff (West Coast Avengers, Namor, Heroes for Hire, misc) varied in quality pretty wildly. WCA was very forgettable. They added him as a character mainly to play off Vision, so he played very little actual role in the title. The Namor stuff was a followup from that. Heroes for Hire kept him as mainly a background character but the stories were fun and it was a good read.

the 00s stuff was a collection of a number of Invaders-adjacent miniseries. again, the quality varied but stayed fairly high. The "All-New Invaders" run by James Robinson was the highlight. Also, "the Twelve", which didn't star Torch but featured a number of other revived Golden Age heroes, was especially fun.

definitely did not live up to the other deep dive reads i've done (Batman, X-Men), but then again i didn't expect it to. Quantity alone dictates that. But i am glad i went down this road.

Carrying on Jason Aaron's Thor stories:

The War of the Realms #1. Jason Aaron’s the writer and drawn by Russell Dauterman. There are Ten Realms, all but conquered by Malekith the Accursed and his forces. The long realm standing is ours, Midgard. The book had a number of draws towards me. Jason Aaron’s long run on Thor, Aaron back with Russell Dauterman, the team behind Jane Foster’s Lady Thor (2014-2018), Dauterman drawing the wider Marvel universe and the lengthy build to the titular war. The book succeeded on all counts.

The War of the Realms #2. Jason Aaron’s the writer and drawn by Russell Dauterman. Midgard is the last realm standing but barely is as Malekith and his cabal increased their attacks across the world. I liked this more than I originally did. The impartial narration is good documenting it including “Wars of this sort are not meant for the likes of mortals, not even mortals such as these, who are Gods in all but name”. I enjoyed Dario Agger’s brief bit and Russell’s art. Some characters I only know by name, that’s all. Nothing else about them from Thor’s universe. There’s a page setting up the tie-ins, didn’t feel forced for once.

The War of the Realms #3. Jason Aaron’s the writer and drawn by Russell Dauterman. Midgard is overrun by Malekith’s forces so missions are assigned, one group to find Thor in Jotunheim and the other to destroy Svartalfheim’s Black Bifrost. I enjoyed the former for the Captain America/Spider-Man/Wolverine search party and Thor is made a bad ass. Cool moment when Daredevil acquires Heimdall’s powers.

• Like 1

Nearly finished my Jason Aaron Thor run:

The War of the Realms #4. Jason Aaron’s the writer and drawn by Russell Dauterman. The Black Bifrost is held by Lady Freyja allowing for allies around the Realms to go to Midgard and battle Malekith/his forces. A decent issue for this, feels like a tide turn. Not keen on how the Punisher is rendered by Russell Dauterman, he’s too muscular.

The War of the Realms #5. Jason Aaron’s the writer and drawn by Russell Dauterman. The battle across Midgard continues, Asgardians/Heroes of Midgard vs. Malekith the Accursed/his forces. I enjoyed this issue as Thor sacrifices himself for reasons, the narration commentary over what happening and how countries are name checked feeling like a worldwide event. I particularly enjoyed London with Captain America and Captain Britain teaming. Nice seeing Volstagg in action for the first time since The Death of the Might Thor in The Mighty Thor (2015) #701-706.

The War of the Realms #6 written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Russell Dauterman. Thor willingly impales himself on the World Tree to find the answer to win the War of the Realms. There’s callbacks to Aaron’s Thor run dating back to the start of with 2012’s Thor: God of Thunder. We see the main Thor’s from it in current day Thor, brash Viking Thor, the old All-Father King Thor and Jane Foster Thor. I was in two minds about Foster Thor’s return because her end in the Death of the Mighty Thor was well done/fitting but she’s an integral part of Aaron’s time on the book. I’ve felt there were times Aaron missed the landing. I can’t say that in this case. An impressive event more so considering how long the buildup was to the War of the Realms. I await the King Thor title reuniting Jason Aaron with Esad Ribic for their last ride on Thor. 

Edited by The Natural

Working my way through Marvel-era GI Joe for the first time.  I had forgotten that other than Snake-Eyes, Scarlett and maybe Breaker, nearly all of the characters who were important to the cartoon either originated in the comic and only got toys 2-3 years in (Baroness), or were just the new guys when they were making the MASS Device pilot. So far I'm really enjoying it, but it feels weird to be reading about Clutch and Grand Slam as important recurring team members.  Haven't made it to the start of the Vietnam and Arashikage flashbacks yet though.

• Like 1

Last leg of Jason Aaron's Thor reviews run:

King Thor #1 reunited Jason Aaron who writes and artist Esad Ribic from Thor: God of Thunder (2012) as Aaron’s seven year run on Thor draws to a close. A good issue made up of King Thor old having lived eons fighting Loki. Loki’s armed with the All-Black the Necrosword by the God Knull. It feels like the final final battle between them. As that’s happening, King Thor’s granddaughters look to find how the universe can be revitalized. The last two pages end on something big, that was surprising. I will say the art felt off in places, don’t normally feel that in Ribic’s work.

King Thor #2 written by Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic is the artist. Here hosts the rematch, King Thor the aged All-Father vs. Gorr the God Butcher with the All-Black the Necrosword he’s bonded to even when killed. Loki plays his part in the fracas. I liked this issue for these. Gorr has a disturbing realization that he’s going to kill worshippers of the Gods and not just the Gods he’s killed previously. The last couple of pages are particularly well done. Two more issues to go.

King Thor #3 written by Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic is the artist. I really liked this issue for three reasons: King Thor’s granddaughters with the save from Gorr, a callback to Jason Aaron’s very first Thor story and hurting Gorr through the Gods he hates, singing his praises.

King Thor #4 written by Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic is the main artist joined by others notably Thor mainstays in Olivier Coipel, Russell Dauterman and Mike Del Mundo. Thor battles Gorr again in a new form. Gorr didn’t need to be here, his manner of defeat was better in the previous issue. I liked a peak of future Thor’s showing things continue into the future. So ends Jason Aaron’s seven years on Thor. I’ll come up with the positives and negatives of that run ASAP.

Jason Aaron Thor run read:

Thor: God of Thunder #1-11, Thor (Vol. 4) #1-8 and Annual #1, Thors #1-4, The Mighty Thor (2015) #1-12, The Unworthy Thor #1-5, The Mighty Thor (2015) #13-23, Generations: The Unworthy Thor and The Mighty Thor, The Mighty Thor (2014) #700-706, Mighty Thor: At The Gates of Valhalla, Thor (2018) #1-5, The War of the Realms #1-6 and King Thor #1-4. Total: 77 issues.

• Like 1

Jason Aaron’s Thor run - The Good.

• Jane Foster as Thor: Goddess of Thunder. The highpoint of the run.
  • The stories particularly Thor: God of Thunder – The God Butcher/Godbomb arc, Thor (Vol. 4) #1-8 as Jane Foster becomes Thor and how she reacts/others to her, The Mighty Thor: The Death of the Mighty Thor.
  • Long build towards The War of the Realms and would it deliver? Yes, I can only say that for few Marvel events from the last decade. Secret Wars (2015) is one of the best event comics I’ve read.
  • King Thor, an older, wearier Thor.
  • Thor’s granddaughters in Ellisiv, Atli and Frigg
  • The commentary on Gods and their purpose.
  • The artists: Esad Ribic and Russell Dauterman.

Jason Aaron’s Thor run - The Bad.

• Thor becomes Unworthy, he comes across as mopey every now and then.
  • The reason for Thor not able to lift Mjolnir wasn’t worth waiting for, about two years. “Gorr was right”. Anticlimactic.
  • Aaron sometimes couldn’t stick the landing, thinking about the Thors miniseries from Secret Wars (2015), the above and Avengers: The Final Host.

Jason Aaron Thor run I’ve read:

Thor: God of Thunder #1-11, Thor (Vol. 4) #1-8 and Annual #1, Thors #1-4, The Mighty Thor (2015) #1-12, The Unworthy Thor #1-5, The Mighty Thor (2015) #13-23, Generations: The Unworthy Thor and The Mighty Thor, The Mighty Thor (2014) #700-706, Mighty Thor: At The Gates of Valhalla, Thor (2018) #1-5, The War of the Realms #1-6 and King Thor #1-4. Total: 77 issues.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think "Gorr was right" was a perfectly valid reason, but making it a mystery that took so long to get an answer just didn't work.

It needed a bit more, maybe.
"Gorr was right. The gods are X." 

• 2 weeks later...

What's the current status of the "teen" X-Men that Beast brought forward in time?

The wikipedia articles for them haven't been updated much, beyond Teen Jeen Grey being killed by a "poison" symbiote (whatever the hell that is) and then building herself a new body out of psychic energy...or something.

I'm going to start posting my reviews of Chip Zdarsky's run on Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man followed by Spider-Man: Life Story. All but two of the reviews are brand new to you. The other two come from issues I've talked up before and will do so again. Thanks!

Free Comic Book Day 2017, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky and Adam Kubert. Peter Parker’s catch up with the Vulture is interrupted by the Vulture. It’s a decent short story for FCBD 2017. Some of the jokes land while others don’t.

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6. A deal is made between Spider-Man and J. Jonah Jameson, Spider-Man will be interviewed by JJJ in return for information on Teresa Durand. My Dinner With Jonah is a great issue with the contents of the talk between the two and their history. A very newsworthy issue. Chip Zdarsky story and art by Michael Walsh compliments one another. On a whim, I checked out the word of mouth for the issue and that’s why I bought it. 

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #297-299 by Chip Zdarsky. Peter Parker may have a sister called Teresa Durand, she’s a spy who stole intelligence from a rogue S.H.I.E.L.D. faction. This group, the Grey Blade, superheroes and villains are after them both. A good read as Peter Parker has to escape the Grey Blade at one point without outing his spider alter ego and the relationship between Parker and J. Jonah. Jameson changing.

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #300 by Chip Zdarsky. Superheroes and supervillains duke it out as Spider-Man’s out for the Tinkerer. This was bad with the Tinkerer pushed too much as a threat and wasn’t sold on the reasoning behind the alien invasion. An anniversary issue should be big and this is the weakest I’ve read ever.

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #301-303 is a time-travel story called Amazing Fantasy by Chip Zdarsky. Spider-Man and J. Jonah Jameson meet their younger versions joined by Teresa Durand. This was a terrific story for the interactions between the past and future Spider-Man/JJJ, what they tell one another, callbacks to Spidey’s history from the Green Goblin to the name of the story/The Night Gwen Stacy Died/Spider-Man No More and whether Teresa is Peter’s sister. Even the look for the Tinkerer here didn’t detract from this tale. Zdarsky’s Peter Parker/Spider-Man is better written than the majority of Dan Slott’s from 2014-2018.

Edited by The Natural