DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

http://www.comicsbeat.com/frank-cho-and-jenny-frison-get-new-variant-cover-assignments-on-harley-quinn-and-wonder-woman/

Frank Cho will be taking over as variant artist for Harley Quinn, while cheesecake artist Jenny Frison takes over as Wonder Woman variant artist.

Spoiler

tumblr_njp1vbAR541tyanlso1_1280.jpg

...but it's all cool, because Jenny is a woman.  So if she draws Diana all sexy and what not, it's about female empowerment rather than female objectification.  i think.

GRRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Deathstroke: Rebirth is kind of exactly what I expected from Priest returning to corporate cape books.  It even starts with a chapter subtitle and a flashback.  It's fun. I'm in.

In an interview with Comics Alliance Priest said he put in some signatures of his style such as the subtitle/flashback format to make it feel familiar to whatever fanbase is following him onto the book rather than the character. Which is pretty savvy honestly.

3 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/frank-cho-and-jenny-frison-get-new-variant-cover-assignments-on-harley-quinn-and-wonder-woman/

Frank Cho will be taking over as variant artist for Harley Quinn, while cheesecake artist Jenny Frison takes over as Wonder Woman variant artist.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_njp1vbAR541tyanlso1_1280.jpg

...but it's all cool, because Jenny is a woman.  So if she draws Diana all sexy and what not, it's about female empowerment rather than female objectification.  i think.

GRRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one's anti-cheesecake in this, or at least none of the principle creators. She's done Cheesecake sure, but she's also done really amazing covers for books like IDW's Angel and Revival that don't lean in that direction. It's like she's a professional artist who can tailor the direction their work takes to the needs of the project or something.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with Frison but looking at her stuff on Google, not a lot of the images strike me as out-and-out cheesecake.  Besides, that's oversimplifying the issue.  I imagine that, if they wanted to, Rucka and Cho could have had a conversation and come up with covers that worked for Rucka.  My issue with Cho - other than that he seems to have an overinflated sense of his importance in the industry - is that he generally only has one gear. 

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's like she's a professional artist who can tailor the direction their work takes to the needs of the project or something.

This.  It wouldn't have taken much for Cho to reign himself in a little.  Maybe DC editorial gave him the idea cheesecake was what they wanted, or told him to do what he does best.  I'm not sure.  Maybe Rucka just has a problem with Cho in general and no compromise was possible.  That seems likely.  Dunno.  Myself, I get tired of seeing Cho do the same stuff over and over, even when he's working a mainstream gig.  It's like hiring George Perez to do covers for Crisis on Infinite Earth, Part 46, and getting nothing but bondage/S&M art from him.  That would never happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Maybe Rucka just has a problem with Cho in general and no compromise was possible. 

That was more or less what is was the going off of Cho's comments. They had plenty of conversations about it, and Cho had seemingly reigned himself in plenty even before Rucka interfering.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

That was more or less what is was the going off of Cho's comments. They had plenty of conversations about it, and Cho had seemingly reigned himself in plenty even before Rucka interfering.

I'd do the same thing if I were Rucka, so I have no problem with him using his clout to force Cho off the book.  I didn't see a problem with most of the Cho covers I saw, but most everything he does runs counter to the message of the book.

Mostly, what I fault Rucka for is not putting up a bigger fuss as soon as Cho was commissioned to do variant covers (though it's entirely possible Rucka is mostly unaware of who DC hired as cover artists).

43 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Glad to hear All Star Batman delivered. I wasn't sure as Snyder wasn't the best with classic villains during his run.

I love the renaissance of B-list villains in the Bat books: psycho pirate, killer moth, gentleman ghost 

• Like 1

Fine? It's only had the Rebirth issue which is basically just Wally meeting the team again and then the first issue...is pretty much just them trying to jog his memory, then a villain awakens deal. The character stuff is good enough that it's not a huge deal that nothing's really happened but...nothing's really happened.

• Like 1

Found Blue Beetle Rebirth a little underwhelming but that might be because I'm so invested in a version of the character that I'm not too interested in reading a square one restart. I'll probably check back in after a couple issues are out to see if they've done enough to make it new and interesting.

5 hours ago, John Austin said:

is it like the original post-Infinite Crisis version or more like nu-52 version Beetle?

The dynamics are more like the post-Infinite Crisis. No gangsta Paco. The only noticeable differences to me is Jaime's sister isn't as young and a change in Brenda's aunt. I suppose my only two issues are that I'm not in love with Ted Kord so far and having Jaime back to seemingly square one with the scarab is kinda a drag.

Man. I'm super enjoying Rebirth on the whole but in general a lot of books are the most decompressed they've been since probably about 2006-7ish. A lot of drip feed storytelling. That said, the twice monthly ones that *do* move quickly? Feel super brisk and fun.

There's a rumour the twice monthly books will go back to monthly at the six month mark and I honestly hope it's wrong. Some will point to inconsistent art but honestly that so often ends up as a factor with monthlies anyway that if it still bugged me I couldn't read cape stuff. Really enjoying the frequent installments of good books. As long as they can keep the writing quality, I say keep the schedule.