Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread


Recommended Posts

So Bendis is helping to relaunch Amethyst with a "major female writer". My 2 op picks for this are G Willow Wilson and Gail Simone.

Honestly? I'm just glad they are doing something with Amethyst. Next I want Bendis to relaunch Atari Force or Arion: Lordo f Atlantis  or Arak Son of Thunder1

James

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So Bendis is helping to relaunch Amethyst with a "major female writer". My 2 op picks for this are G Willow Wilson and Gail Simone.

Honestly? I'm just glad they are doing something with Amethyst. Next I want Bendis to relaunch Atari Force or Arion: Lordo f Atlantis  or Arak Son of Thunder1

James

 

Since they are Portland pals, I could also see it being Chelsea Cain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So Bendis is helping to relaunch Amethyst with a "major female writer". My 2 op picks for this are G Willow Wilson and Gail Simone.

Honestly? I'm just glad they are doing something with Amethyst. Next I want Bendis to relaunch Atari Force or Arion: Lordo f Atlantis  or Arak Son of Thunder1

James

 

Are we sure this is a major female writer or just a "major female talent?" When it was first mentioned, I thought he just said talent and I figured it was an artist, Nicola Scott or someone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

...Why not Christy Marx?

It'd be really weird to go vague on "major female talent!"  for someone who's heavily worked on the property before?

Internet seems to think it'll be Amy Reeder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Young Justice isn't perfect. (Bart says a lot of things, some of which are quite good,but that "Damn" feels a little off. The layouts work and feels fluid and DC and not rigid and Marvel despite Bendis but sometimes you end up a little lost).

I think it feels right though. I think it feels more right than wrong. It's nice when something feels right like this in a DC comic in the 2010s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'd give it a solid 7/10. It's definitely at the positive end of the Bendis Writing Team Books spectrum, and Gleason's art is always nice.  I cringe every time I read "Teen Lantern" though.

They're self aware about it at least. I think they says he/she/it needs a better name midway through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They're self aware about it at least. I think they says he/she/it needs a better name midway through.

Yeah, basically saying they'd have come up with a better name if they'd known they'd end up on a team.  On things that actually happen in the issue: Jinny Hex is basically exactly what I expected from "teenage girl descended from Jonah."  I'm sure that the explanation for how Bart and Kon are back in the universe relates to the Crises, very curious to get at least a partial explanation (maybe not a WHOLE explanation).

 

If we're assuming the Crises on Multiple Earths don't count, and Identity Crisis certainly shouldn't since it had no multiversal impact, I can't get to 7.  I have Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite, Final, Flashpoint and Rebirth/Doomsday Clock.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky enough to meet him at Dragon Con a couple years ago.  I couldn't afford a sketch so didn't enter the raffle (he was in such high demand that he had to limit the number of sketches he'd do that weekend and draw names to see who got to give him money), but I got my JLA/Avengers issues signed and stood there at his table for a good hour while he told stories and jokes and just seemed to be super happy to have a dozen or so people hanging around to talk to while he drew.  I think I called him the greatest superhero artist of my lifetime when I posted those JLA/A autographs to my Facebook, and I can't think of anyone else I'd give the title to now.  Super kind, great sense of humor, really glad I got to watch him draw for a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I was lucky enough to meet him at Dragon Con a couple years ago.  I couldn't afford a sketch so didn't enter the raffle (he was in such high demand that he had to limit the number of sketches he'd do that weekend and draw names to see who got to give him money), but I got my JLA/Avengers issues signed and stood there at his table for a good hour while he told stories and jokes and just seemed to be super happy to have a dozen or so people hanging around to talk to while he drew.  I think I called him the greatest superhero artist of my lifetime when I posted those JLA/A autographs to my Facebook, and I can't think of anyone else I'd give the title to now.  Super kind, great sense of humor, really glad I got to watch him draw for a bit.

If we are talking mostly Direct Market Era and just superheroes (so we can conveniently leave out Jack, Ditko, Swan, Kubert..), I would personally include (not in order)

Perez, Byrne, Simonson, Rogers, Aparo

then maybe Grell, Giffen, Newton

i would also asterisk Chaykin, since I thinkhis best stuff is not superheroes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to beat Perez for volume per page. I happened to reread Future Imperfect yesterday and that is such a dense read. 

I suppose Jiminez is probably the closest to Perez in that regard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Perez is my favorite comics/superhero artist by wide margin.   Consistently outstanding art, incredible level of detail, met deadlines, etc.  I'm not even sure who #2 is.  Neal Adams, maybe?  My personal "Big 4" would probably be Perez, Neal Adams, Grell, and Marshall Rogers.

I've met him a couple times at cons and own two sketches and some signed stuff, and my stories are pretty much the same as Cliff's.  Just an easygoing, engaging guy.

Wasn't even sure he was still active.  Last thing I remember him doing was the short stint on the New 53 Superman reboot.  Wiki says he did a six-issue indy book.  Somehow, I completely missed that.  

Speaking of completely missing things, I came across the White Knight tpb last night.  I remember reading that Murphy had been signed to do a Batman project, and that's literally the last time I heard that mentioned.  I had no idea the book actually came out.  I flipped through the end of the trade.  Looks interesting.   I'll start reading it tonight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...