DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

5 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

According to Webster's Dictionary, it can mean either twice a month or once every two months, depending on context.

I'd explain further, but I have to go try to rid the internet of people who put the apostrophe in "its" to indicate possession.

[/ocdaboutgrammar]

and their you have it

Side note: I think I've ranted about that before here (unless it was on Facebook) but that is my absolute least favorite rule of grammar. It just does not make sense. You fucking use an apostrophe and an s to indicate possession God fucking dammit. It's a stupid fucking rule that's part of why English is fucking stupid.

Read Wonder Woman Earth One last night, nice art by Paquette but the story is shit & I usually like Grant Morrison a hell of a lot.

For the first time in probably a year, other than this week's books which I haven't picked up from my LCS, I am all caught up. I have Sweet Tooth Deluxe Edition Books 1 & 2 and Batman:War Games Book 2 waiting for me. I also have Scott Snyder's book of short stories Voodoo Heart as well. I think I'll polish off War Games first & then delve into Sweet Tooth. 

On 22 December 2016 at 0:42 PM, The Natural said:

The three best comic books of 2016 came from DC. DC Universe Rebirth Special #1, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade and Dark Night: A True Batman Story. I reviewed DC Universe Rebirth Special #1 and Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade here and I’ll do the same for Dark Night: A True Batman Story ASAP.

Dark Night: A True Batman Story by Paul Dini, art by Eduardo Rizzo. Paul Dini was a key part in the much loved Batman: The Animated Series and the DCAU. I also have Paul Dini in the top five Batman writers of all time. The story is an autobiography in comic form about Paul Dini’s life, he was assaulted badly in a robbery and what that does to you. Batman and characters from Batman’s world make appearances reacting to events. A unique, moving and at times funny story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So Justice League vs Suicide Squad went from something I totally rolled my eyes at and didn't even buy #1 at launch to a hell of a fun event that dumped a ton of cool stuff into the Post-Rebirth DCU for people to come back to. I'm all in for JLA, too.

Picking up my pull on Saturday and I'm stoked to hear that the ending came off so well. I had to buy the one shot on the Ray because I knew nothing of the character and the Atom because I only really know the Ray Palmer version. Excited for JLA as well!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 2:39 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Side note: I think I've ranted about that before here (unless it was on Facebook) but that is my absolute least favorite rule of grammar. It just does not make sense. You fucking use an apostrophe and an s to indicate possession God fucking dammit. It's a stupid fucking rule that's part of why English is fucking stupid.

You don't say "him's" or "me's", you say "his" or "my". "Its" is the same way. The apostrophe-s rule is only for nouns; it's never used for pronouns.

<shrug> I don't see how treating "its" differently from every other possessive pronoun would make English less stupid. (Though maybe I'm jumping the gun by suggesting it's only "its". If you could change it, would you do the same thing for "whose" and "hers"?)

Aquaman Vol 1: The Drowning. I dug the struggle by Arthur to try and create some semblance of peace and cooperation between Atlantis and the US. I also dug the general conversations between Arthur and Mera. That said it felt like it stretched a reality too much with how the plot played out. Arthur's arrest on little to no evidence was ridiculous, and basically an act of war. Honestly the complete lack of any delicacy from the government just made far too little sense when talking about the type of situation they were in. I enjoyed it, but its not off too the best start.

Green Lanterns: Rage Planet. A solid start building the partnership of Jessica and Simon while delivering a seemingly big Red Lanterns plot that has only barely begun in reality. I generally liked what I read though I feel the constant reintroduction to the leads each issue was unnecessary and annoying. And while I get them wanting to treat Simon as rookie as well it just feels like some hollow bs that denies reality. Around 1-2 years have passed in the universe since the New 52 began. Simon should have had his ring for a good six months to a year now. Trying to dial down his experience to make him more Jessica's equal felt unnecessary. Still I like the relationship so far between the two and am curious to see where they are going with the Red Lantern stuff, particularly Bleez.

Batman: I am Gotham. Not entirely sure what to think of this one. I think the Rebirth/intro issue was solid, but the first half of the actual arc was badly rushed. It felt like King stuff 6+ issues into 3. and as a result that we never really got to know Gotham & Gotham Girl all too well along with seeing them build a proper relationship with Bruce. I thought the second half was generally well written, but the missing connection to the characters really hurt how much a lot of it really should have hit. It was interesting seeing King gradually settle into hitting the right spots with the dialogue a for Gordon & Alfred. I think he started off a little rough but got better with each issue. By the end it felt like he hit the perfect notes with their characters. It definitely helped with moment between Bruce and Alfred in the later issues. Overall not a bad start, just kind of disappointing. I really like he general idea behind all of it, especially the background plot with Waller & Strange. I'm kind of looking forward to checking out the Monster Men crossover now, and I think I will go ahead a pick up King's next arc next back issue sale.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rebirth reviews:

Batwoman: Rebirth #1 by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV. This issue is nearly all made up of Batwoman’s origin and recapping events since her origin was firs told in Batwoman: Elegy. Two are made up of Batwoman by W. Haden Blackman/JH Williams III, good to see and sad with their New 52 run ending due to editorial differences. An issue that isn’t required. The main thing going for it is Steve McNiven’s art. I recommend Greg Rucka/JH Williams III Batwoman: Elegy not just for the origin but the story before it, the writing the, art and its one of the best Bat books ever.

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #1 by Peter J. Tomasi. The son of Batman, Damian Wayne/Robin and Superman, Jonathan Kent/Superboy in their own series. I picked this up as I really like Damian and Peter J. Tomasi’s Batman and Robin after a shaky two issue start. This was a bloody good first issue, the differences between the two characters and funny too.

DC Universe Rebirth: All * Star Batman #1 by Scott Snyder. In the main story Batman is on a road trip with Two-Face. Harvey Dent asked Batman to take him to a location and exorcise the Two-Face side. However news breaks en route Two-Face wants to stop this by blackmailing all of Gotham City to end the Bat. The backup is on Batman and Duke Tomas. I finally got round to reading this despite getting it on release and right enjoyed the main story, feels different/out there to Scott Snyder’s previous Batman issues/John Romita’s Jr’s art, I like. Good fit for Batman and he draws my favourite version of the new Batsuit introduced in Batman #50. If I read this sooner, I may have put it to my pull but will probably get the collected book, shame it comes out after my birthday. The backup is alright.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Rebirth reviews:

Batwoman: Rebirth #1 by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV. This issue is nearly all made up of Batwoman’s origin and recapping events since her origin was firs told in Batwoman: Elegy. Two are made up of Batwoman by W. Haden Blackman/JH Williams III, good to see and sad with their New 52 run ending due to editorial differences. An issue that isn’t required. The main thing going for it is Steve McNiven’s art. I recommend Greg Rucka/JH Williams III Batwoman: Elegy not just for the origin but the story before it, the writing the, art and its one of the best Bat books ever.

Steve Epting did the art on this one mate & did a bang up job of it too. 

• Like 1

Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Death and Life of Oliver Queen. Last time I was reading Green Arrow they were really only starting the Clan stuff so there is a ton I missed since then.Still this does a nice job of setting up Ollie's relationships and current life before breaking the latter down to set up his new status. Didn't love this, but I generally enjoyed what was here. I found the main enemy somewhat interesting though it feels weird to not have heard of such an organization of its size in other books.

Superman Vol 1: Son of Superman. The Rebirth issue is solid stuff with Clark essentially learning to accept the New52 Superman's passing and his own need to come into the light as a result. The rest of the volume is focused on introducing his son, Jon. All in all I enjoyed it. The Eradicator story wasn't great, but the family dynamic is nice and sets up some decent drama with Jon going through the difficulties of his powers and Clark gettign to teach him.

Grayson Vol 5: Spyral's End. A generally fun conclusion to the story with the Rebirth issue serving as a nice epilogue to Grayson and prologue to Nightwing.

Nightwing Vol 1: Better than Batman. The dynamic with Raptor was fun and it was nice seeing Dick finish off the Court of Owls stuff that happened back in the Robin War story. Raptor was a fun character. It would be a shame if he doesn't show up again. It was nice to see the Tiger led Spyral sticking around and still getting used. The antagonistic relationship in Grayson was one fo the highlights.

• 2 weeks later...

Detective Comics #950/951. Thought 950 was a nice more in depth look at Cassandra and JPV. JPV especially needed since Eternal really didn't go into his character much at all. I like how cut off Cass seems to be w/o Steph around. It was interesting seeing how much she wants to get close but seems to fear it. Its interesting seeing what they did with JPV and the suit this time around. I probably prefer the general brainwash struggle of the original, but the religious aspect and general idea of a JPV who grew up completely believing in the Order is interesting. Hopefully they do more with it later. One thing I hope for is at some point Cass and JPV get a little closer. I loved the friendship they struck up in NML. It made sense and felt natural  considering their backgrounds. I'm pleased to them going into this League of Shadows stuff now, but I'm more pleased that Lady Shiva is back w/o her shitty New52 look and hopefully more of her pre-Flashpoint history.

Picked up some great books out of the quarter box today

Couple JLI issues including the annual where they visit the embassies

The LOTDK arc Blades by james robinson and tim sale

An issue of blue devil that also has a 16 page insert for the MASK comic

All 4 issues of War of the Gods (not great story but classic 80s petez art)