DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR Fantasy Football 2014 Catch-All Thread

Kevin Wilson

I'm just playin' the matchup in mine as far as second QB's go. Rodgers as starter is easy I'm just keeping Carson Palmer on the bench because Rodger's bye week the Cardinals play the Cowboys... but now the Cowboys possibly don't suck so I may take a look around myself. We'll see in a couple weeks.

I've always been one to use a mid-round draft pick for a dominant defense, figuring that the 5-6 ppg difference at that spot was worth more than your #4 WR at that point. But I'm starting to warm to the idea of streamer defenses (already do that with kickers to a degree), especially after getting mad points from the packers last night. Not sure yet if the success rate really carries over from week to week, as many guys are homers with their Ds.

The problem with drafting a DEF early is that they are so damnably difficult to figure out which one will be high scoring. Picking Seattle was a no brainer the last two years, but that hasn't always been the case. There's a lot of variance. Those who pick up a DEF weekly are just as likely to hit on the best DEF of the year as someone who picked the first DEF of the draft.

While you are holding on to an underperforming DEF that you drafted in the 6th, I'm picking up a KC and rolling in points while I have a higher value WR3 to boot. Furthermore, I seldom have to burn a bench spot on a second DEF for bad matchups & bye weeks, and can hoard RBs and breakout WRs.

If a bunch of guys in your league are streaming DEFs, it can be tough, but there are usually 3-4 good options week to week. I still like this strategy more than the draft early & hold.

Yeah I brought this up last year but, as far as Yahoo goes, the default rules for defensive scoring are stupid and awful.

Now, they are stupid and awful for everyone equally so once you work that out it's not like a deal breaker. But the way it emphasizes making highlight reel plays over, you know, preventing the other team from scoring which is the object of the game is pretty dumb.

• Like 1

Yea that is why I dropped it from my league, I always hated the way that defense was scored and couldn't figure out a way to fix it that I thought was fair.  So I eliminated it.

I enjoy having a flex but it makes my life 105% more difficult.  I have seven different guys that could feasibly have good days.  Some of course are better than others but I don't have any legit back-ups on my team anymore I can easily eliminate.  I still dunno what I am going to do.

I have Kendall Wright (had a crap game last week and a good game today) rotating in and out of the flex. I might as well flip a coin because I also have Greg Jennings as well who has a different QB seemingly every week too.

I feel silly having two Giants WRs on my fantasy team, but I dunno long term if Randle or Beckham will be better.  Randle short term as he gets tons of targets but he doesn't get the big gains that Beckham will potentially.  Fantasy footballing is hardz.

Okay, so I just picked up Branden Oliver off the wire as a short-term replacement for Rashad Jennings. With Megatron out for at least this week, here's how my WR/RB situation looks:

RB: Branden Oliver (vs. OAK), Andre Ellington (vs. WAS), CJ Spiller (vs. NE), Doug Martin (vs. BAL), and DeMarco Murry (vs. SEA)

WR: Randall Cobb (vs. MIA), Cordarrelle Patterson (vs. DET), Andre Johnson (vs. IND)

Brian Quick and Justin Hunter, two guys that have been named as waiver wire targets by several "Fantasy Gurus", are available in my league. I feel like I should pick up another WR for insurance, in case Andre Johnson's out this week. I'm thinking it might be time to cut Martin loose, or maybe Spiller. What do you guys think?

Also, I need 2 RB, 3 WR, and a WR/RB in the flex spot. Considering the first question, as well as the fact that return yards count in my league, who should I go with this week?

Thanks!

Okay, so I just picked up Branden Oliver off the wire as a short-term replacement for Rashad Jennings. With Megatron out for at least this week, here's how my WR/RB situation looks:

RB: Branden Oliver (vs. OAK), Andre Ellington (vs. WAS), CJ Spiller (vs. NE), Doug Martin (vs. BAL), and DeMarco Murry (vs. SEA)

WR: Randall Cobb (vs. MIA), Cordarrelle Patterson (vs. DET), Andre Johnson (vs. IND)

Brian Quick and Justin Hunter, two guys that have been named as waiver wire targets by several "Fantasy Gurus", are available in my league. I feel like I should pick up another WR for insurance, in case Andre Johnson's out this week. I'm thinking it might be time to cut Martin loose, or maybe Spiller. What do you guys think?

Also, I need 2 RB, 3 WR, and a WR/RB in the flex spot. Considering the first question, as well as the fact that return yards count in my league, who should I go with this week?

Thanks!

Fred Jackson is hurt, so now isn't really the time to cut Spiller. Martin hasn't been very effective. It remains to be seen if Oliver is more than a 1 week filler.

I can't believe that Brian Quick is still available, you really should pick him up as either your #3 WR over Patterson or as your flex. If you have a back-up TE or D drop them for him IMO.

To those who own Shady-- what are you doing?

I've kept him in my lineup. First week of single digit points was an off day. Second week was a head scratcher. I figured he'd have to turn it around this past Sunday, and had his RT back.

Still single digit points. I've got Ben Tate on my bench, am I crazy for thinking about putting him in for McCoy?

I tried picking up both Oliver and Justin Forsett, but only wound up with Forsett. I do wonder if Oliver is going to be that successful again, while Forsett has had a good season thus far.

Freddie is fine, the bigger issue is that Spiller has been pretty completely useless in the run game and the pass game, since Jackson is also a better blocker.  Many would argue the game planing is doing him no favors but that doesn't change the fact he isn't producing.  I still wouldn't drop Spiller though, I know in our league every starting RB, backup RB, and usually their backup is on a team.  We're hardcore.

I just wanna know how many teams are in your league if Forsett was still available

8 teams. I was shocked to see his name still there on the waiver wire.

Right now my RBs are Forsett, Tate, Bradshaw, Ingram, and Stacy. I think this week I'll roll with Forsett and Bradshaw, but I may go with Forsett and Tate instead.

I just wanna know how many teams are in your league if Forsett was still available

8 teams. I was shocked to see his name still there on the waiver wire.

Right now my RBs are Forsett, Tate, Bradshaw, Ingram, and Stacy. I think this week I'll roll with Forsett and Bradshaw, but I may go with Forsett and Tate instead.

I think you have to start Tate while he is healthy, because there are no guarantees week to week with him. The Steelers aren't a terrible match up for him either.

Thanks!

RBs: Ellington and Murray WRs: Cobb/Johnson/Quick (cut Spiller because of your RB depth for Quick) FLEX: Oliver he's playing the raiders and he's pretty much the backfield at the moment.

To those who own Shady-- what are you doing?

I've kept him in my lineup. First week of single digit points was an off day. Second week was a head scratcher. I figured he'd have to turn it around this past Sunday, and had his RT back.

Still single digit points. I've got Ben Tate on my bench, am I crazy for thinking about putting him in for McCoy?

Start McCoy if you are that worried about him then put him on the trade block and see what offers you get.

Am I crazy for considering starting Cutler over Stafford?

No until Calvin is fully healthy his numbers will be down.