DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I'm not a soccer guy but is US soccer now good enough to be in the GROUP OF DEATH?

I mean, I know it's not looking good for us. Germany I assume is awesome. Portugal has one of the guys I've heard of. And Ghana beat us last time around.

At the same time, I would guess that our4 fiesty team of hustlers and scrappers will make any of those teams really leery of taking on Uncle Sam's Army?

You never know.

The sad thing is that even if USA made it through that group, people mostly wouldn't realize just how big a success that is and if they lost in the first elimination game would be complaining that we didn't go far. 

Coming third in that group would be a "good showing."  Coming second would be pretty astounding.

For someone like myself, who doesn't really like soccer, this is a best-case scenario.

If they lose, they're supposed to lose and I can just watch baseball like I was planning on doing anyways. If they win, I get the joys of nationalist outbreak without the commitment any of you have.

Look at it this way, G.  No matter what happens they get three games against three great teams, which isn't really a guarantee always.  Even if it's three and out, the three games will all be marquee.

At some point they have to start winning games like these.

It is just doubtful they are there yet.

At least maybe beat Ghana once - baby steps I guess

Atleast USA has a outside chance of getting thru,

Australia has none, maybe they get a point against Chile but i can't see them doing much else, just hope they don't get trashed 4 or 5 nil by the other two

Yeah - this sucked too.

I really dig the Aussies but they always end up with zippy points at the end of the tournament

Handy dandy quick reference:

Group A - Brazil, Mexico, Croatia, Cameroon

Group B - Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands

Group C - Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece

Group D - Uruguay, Italy, Costa Rica, England

Group E - Switzerland, Honduras, Ecuador, France

Group F - Argentina, Nigeria, Iran, Bosnia-Herzogovenia

Group G - Germany, Ghana, United States of America, Portugal

Group H - Belgium, Korea, Algeria, Russia

• Like 1

Look at it this way, G.  No matter what happens they get three games against three great teams, which isn't really a guarantee always.  Even if it's three and out, the three games will all be marquee.

Yeah, as much shit as I'm slinging, that whole group will be must watch. US losing is the most obvious answer but anything could really happen. It's probably the most interesting group of the bunch. Lots of drama to be had.

Also looking forward to Spain/Netherlands and some of the random small fry pairings. Really fucking excited. World Cup starts tomorrow right?