DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

http://watchthecomic.com/comic/keep-it-casual/#sthash.rJJ7FxVp.dpbs

Watch Your Head creator Cory Thomas has had a pretty ugly meltdown over the last two years. His comic originally debuted in newspapers in 2006, seen as a replacement for The Boondocks, focusing on an extremely nerdy college student named Cory and his misadventures at a Historically Black College.  

Thomas bristled in interviews and on Facebook over criticism that Cory and his friends were unfunny, obnoxious, and in the cases of Omar (Black Militant), Quincy (Hip-Hop loving Ladies Man and "Get Rich Quick" scheme hustler) and Jason (wannabe gangbanger), reinforcements of negative black stereotypes.  He started shedding newspapers in 2010 and responded by trying some character development, giving Cory a girlfriend and toning down Jason's presence, but eventually killed off Cory's girlfriend and brought back Jason with a vengeance.

He finally ended the newspaper version of Watch Your Head last August and tried to reboot it as a webcomic with the idea that he would be supported by Patreon payments from his readers.  In the new version Cory was completely absent and the main character was white (which leads to tons of Unfortunate Implications).

In January he admitted that he was having to work multiple part-time jobs to pay the bills, and finally last month admitted that he was getting only 200 unique views for each comic and he would no longer be updating the comic on any sort of regular basis as he tried to get back into syndication or some other art gig that paid.

Sad, as he is a very talented artist.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty big DC sale on Comixology, up to 80% off collections.

Think I'll have to pick up the three volumes of Knightfall. It's just a ridiculous value to pass up on.

That is exactly what I bought.  They have been on my wishlist for probably a year, and I couldn't pass it up.

I'm finally going to read Walter Simonson's Robocop v Terminator.  Been meaning to get around to it for 20 years and it's $4 on the Dark Horse SDCC sale.

How the fuck are Comixology doing digital "SDCC variants" of regular comics? That doesn't even make any sense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hush is fun more than good. It's probably the least of the three yearlong epics with every villain Loeb did but Lee's art carries it if you dig his work. It's a big dumb epic and I dig it as such. It's alsp a stupid, terrible mystery with a Stephen King bad ending.

It's a Jeph Loeb Batman book with Jim Lee art, basically.

EDIT: Totally worth $4. As is basically everything in the ebook section. Eternal v1 and 2 is especially recent and bang for buck with something like 18-20 issues per trade.

• Like 1

I read Joe Kelly's "I KIll Giants" over the weekend and thought it was brilliant.  Anyone want to recommend some other books from Kelly that'd be worth tracking down?  I looked at his comicbookdb page and nothing else really jumped out at me.

Note: I'm not picking up Deadpool.  Anything else?

He did some really good stuff with Superman too. Action Comics #775, "Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" is an obvious standout but I really liked the followups. Ending Battle really pairs well to follow on the Manchester Black story and Justice League Elite is super underrated in my opinion. It's all available in trades and digital I believe so yeah, check that out.

I just remembered a lot of people shitting on it on rec.arts.comics.dc.universe back in the day and feeling really weird for liking it. But I loved that it picked up the Major Disaster redemption threads from Giffen/Medina's Suicide Squad run, and I loved Ray and Dick co-leading (and seeing Ronnie and Jason Blood pop up always made me happy.)

Doug Monkey drew it, right? I remember him being polarizing but me being lukewarm-to-vaguely-positive on his work of the era.

And since I've mentioned both the Kelly/Medina Superboy and the Giffen/Medina Suicide Squad today, Paco Medina is a weird artist for me. I absolutely adored his Superboy work and his fill-ins on Captain Marvel, but he was a terrible choice for SuSq. He's still working, but he never took off to the extent I was hoping. I think he muted his style to avoid massive clashes on the order of SuSq, but ended up losing a lot of what made him distinctive back in the day. On the right book he was perfect, but his "perfect" books were never going to sell, and when he toned it down it was impossible to rise above the pack for a book that might last more than 18 issues.