DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

Has anyone used Scribd? I read a lot and that looks like it could be right up my alley. I just want to know how the interface compares to Comixology/Marvel Universe/Kindle.

It probably has the worst reading experience/interface so far. I had to use the web interface to add issues because I could only get the first 12 issues to show up in the app(Android.) There doesn't seem to be a way to download issues for offline without opening the issue to its loading page. Once fully loaded the transition from page to page causes a bit of a flicker. It also lacks any type of smart panel mode. On the plus side you can rotate the page something you can't do in the Kindle app.

In addition some information about how often updates will come along would be nice.

I don't think I'll be keeping it after the 30 day trial but I'd be willing to check it out in the future just for the Valiant catalog.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Humble Bundle is Transformers comics again. Last time it was mostly pre-2012 stuff (Marvel reprints and some of the most depressingly bad IDW stuff, with the first year of the current ongoings on the blue tier). This time it's all modern shit.

The $1 tier gets you nearly all of More Than Meets the Eye (it's missing the issue that came out today, and the Dark Cybertron crossover issues).

Green tier (beat the average) is the first 6 TPBs of Robots In Disguise (missing the most recent arc) plus the first half of Dark Cybertron.

The blue tier, which has gone from a flat $15 to "average plus $5" is the last arc of RiD (which was rebranded to just "Transformers" when the RiD toyline started) and the back half of Dark Cybertron.

Leaving aside my TF fandom, if you have any interest at all in space opera comics and don't at least snag the basic tier you're nuts, because MTMTE has been an amazing read.

Yeah, I think I need to give that Transformers bundle a shot.  17 bucks for all of it right now, hell of a deal. Plus charity, plus the guys at IDW have always been really nice and cool to fans.

Thing is, that bundle covers the really interesting "what if somebody wins the war?" period, where Robots In Disguise is a political drama about picking up the pieces full of beloved chars in weird new situations, and MTMTE does crazy space opera with also ran like Tailgate and Whirl. Both are interesting uses of the license outside what you expect, MTMTE is the better book but both are at least an attempt to do something "older fan friendly" with the license that isn't just another darker edgier rehash.

Thing is, that bundle covers the really interesting "what if somebody wins the war?" period, where Robots In Disguise is a political drama about picking up the pieces full of beloved chars in weird new situations, and MTMTE does crazy space opera with also ran like Tailgate and Whirl. Both are interesting uses of the license outside what you expect, MTMTE is the better book but both are at least an attempt to do something "older fan friendly" with the license that isn't just another darker edgier rehash.

Ending up biting on this, this morning, before it expired. Went ahead and did the average+$5 because really couldn't beat the deal. I haven't been a fan of most of the post-Marvel G.I. Joe comic books, so hopefully I like the Transformer stuff a little better.

Start with More Than Meets the Eye v1, less because it's the better book than because it also has the "Death of Optimus Prime" one shot that establishes the status quo for both books.

You might also wanna check out "Last Stand of the Wreckers" while it's $4 on Comixology; plot points from that story become important in MTMTE around volumes 2 and 4 or 5, and it does a good job establishing a couple of things (Prowl's motivations and behavior in RID for instance.) It's also a really good "rag tag crew on a suicide mission" story in general.

This is the last day to get like 30 Comixology Submit titles for $3 USD. It includes Leaving Megatropolis by Simone/Caliafore which is worth more than $3 alone. Kid Code and Snipe are also pretty great. Well worth the $3.

also check Comixology's Twitter for some free comic redemption codes. Some stuff is expired but there's still a bunch from yesterday including Scott Pilgrim colour volume one in full and some other graphic novels.

SXSW is a great time for digital comics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy shitbadgers, I totally missed that because I usually ignore the "new this week" section except on Monday mornings.

Yeah, the only reason I caught it was checking out the latest Android update. Guess I'll have to work in some time to catch up on all the Dark Horse stuff I was interested in as a teen but couldn't afford.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who uses Marvel Unlimited, have you been ablt to read the Star Wars material or is it just me?  Mine times out loading on my tablet.  I can read any other comics on the service but the Star Wars properties crash out.

About 20 percent of the time I have trouble loading shit that I try to 'stream', Star Wars and otherwise. However, I've never had a problem loading stuff into my Offline Library; have you tried that? (That said, I have only read Dark Empire and Tag&Bink of the Star Wars stuff.)

Thinking about starting a new thread just for MCU additions and discussions, since they've started using Thursdays as back-issue dumps. They just dropped a ton of Excalibur, both Alan Davis era and Warren Ellis era, and some New Mutants. Now give us X-Factor! And WCA! And Quasar!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...