DVDVR Message Board

The "have they ever wrestled?" thread

Kinda says it all about poor TNA that they put on a dream singles match between two of my onetime very tippy-top favorite American contemporary wrestlers and I somehow forgot it even HAPPENED, doesn't it?

I think I asked this recently but I was rather shocked there isn't a televised Flair vs Abdullah the Butcher match. I'm not sure they ever had a singles match.

Ditto for Flair/Andre. Of course Andre pretty much stopped travelling the territories around when Vinnie K. took over, which was smack in the middle of Flair's first period as a world champion and a true global draw. So while you can occasionally find some super-grainy super-clipped fancams of Ric and Andre against each other in forgettable tag matches or with one as a special referee or whatever, they never had a REAL match to properly exploit what could've been the biggest missed opportunity this side of Flair/Hogan '92.

Along similar lines: did Andre's matches against Lawler, Harley, Dusty, Sullivan et al ever make tape? Did he ever go up against Bruiser Brody? Did he ever have a shot against Backlund, maybe in Japan? There's SO many dream matches there that either never happened or just never happened outside of house shows, when you think about Andre's travelling career.

Speaking of Brody, did he and Stan Hansen ever tie it up (besides in that one disappointing AJPW tag match that everyone's seen from soon before his death)?

The Hulk Hogan vs Genichiro Tenryu match that was posted in the Hogan of the day thread, I had no clue these two had wrestlied in SWS of all places and not New Japan. That was news to me, that Hogan wrestled over in Japan for anyone other then Inoki.

Back in the early 90s, WWF had a co-promotion deal going with SWS. That's how Tenryu ended up in the 93 Rumble.
Tenryu seemed to have a LOT of cameos in the WWF, for whatever reason. What's the deal with that? Same thing with Carlos Colon too, come to think of it. Why those guys and not a thousand other random foreign workers?

Brody and Hansen only wrestled each other once.  There's tape of a six-man with Andre vs. Brody from 1976; it was Andre teaming with Jay Strongbow & Billy White Wolf against Brody & the Executioners.  I've seen pictures of a Flair-Andre match but I don't know if it was a singles match.

Pic spoilered for size. 

tumblr_mhojsdNgTU1qzx70zo1_1280.png

In Australia, Andre and Brody had a singles match at a stadium show in 1977.

In Dallas 8/8/78, Andre won by DQ.

In St. Louis 9/14/79, Andre won by DQ.

Also in Dallas 1979 they tagged together in a handicap match against Spoiler, Gary Hart & Mark Lewin.

The Hulk Hogan vs Genichiro Tenryu match that was posted in the Hogan of the day thread, I had no clue these two had wrestlied in SWS of all places and not New Japan. That was news to me, that Hogan wrestled over in Japan for anyone other then Inoki.

Back in the early 90s, WWF had a co-promotion deal going with SWS. That's how Tenryu ended up in the 93 Rumble.

Which led to the memorable sight of Boxcar Valentine vs. Great Kabuki complete with the "She's Got The Look" intro for the Hammer.

Video proof of that last bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynhlXsm1ug

Isn't that Shane McMahon as the ref too, or are my eyes failing me?

Yep, that's Shane. I thought the same thing. Big props to you, ML, for posting that. I never would have believed it.

• Like 1

Which led to the memorable sight of Boxcar Valentine vs. Great Kabuki complete with the "She's Got The Look" intro for the Hammer.

Video proof of that last bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynhlXsm1ug

I just learned of this existing and am SO happy it does.

Along similar lines: did Andre's matches against Lawler, Harley, Dusty, Sullivan et al ever make tape? Did he ever go up against Bruiser Brody? Did he ever have a shot against Backlund, maybe in Japan? There's SO many dream matches there that either never happened or just never happened outside of house shows, when you think about Andre's travelling career.

Andre and Backlund teamed a few times in Japan but I am 99% certain they never had a match against each other.

I think my biggest one for some reason, is Bret Hart vs Big Bossman.  I know of the tag match that made the second Bret dvd, but I've never seen anything that suggests they had a singles.  Seems like Bossman would have been perfect for Bret's first world title run where he was facing everyone.

Bret and Bossman had a singles match on a house show in '90.  Bossman won.

Thanks!  And for those that haven't seen it, that Hart Foundation vs Twin Towers match is worth going out of your way to see.

• Like 1