DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Sort of off topic, but bad form to Devin Faraci for his anti-anime, racist, sexist remarks on Twitter.  Yet another reason why I hate Twitter and think it should die forever.

Back to topic, recently started watching Sword Art Online, and I honestly enjoy it.  I can see why some don't like it, but I really enjoy the premise and how the game incorporates being stuck in an MMORPG into the plot.  Also enjoyed the first episode of the new season at AX.  

Also Spaceship Yamato 2199 is badass.  Love all the updated animation and designs.

I watched Aldnoah ZERO Episode 2. Gen Urobochi is not afraid to kill characters. Sweer crap this fucking brutal!

Good but brutal. I now know how an alien force would systematically invade us for quick victory. This was an episode that just showed how unprepared the Erth was. It also reveals who was behind the assassination attempt last episode. 2 episodes in and I already think this is going to be thebest show of the new season!

Is it that much better than the first episode?  I liked it, but for now going by first episodes, Zankyou no Terror seems so much more to me like it'll be the top show of the summer.

I'd give the second episode a watch. I've lieked everything Urobochi has done so far and this is going to be one of those shows that starts all action but is just a smokescreen for political intrigue (like a good Gundam!)

James

Ok, watched the second episode of Aldnoah...and I don't really see anything that's over the top great.  I still like it, but the second episode was pretty much in SRW terms a few super robots against a bunch of reals, and unless you have top ace pilots on the real side like Amuro or Chirico, of course it's going to be a lopsided curbstomp.

I watched From Up on Poppy Hill tonight, and it was perfectly okay.

The story gets really convoluted and melodramatic as it goes, not to the film's benefit.  But the things that work (the early parts of the teen love story, the amazing club house) work really well.

The ending didn't bother me, but I could have lived without the melodramatic twists that led to it.

Just a story of first love and that clubhouse would have been better.

I had to tap out at "hey, even though we MAY be brother & sister i'm still totally in love with you".

I mean, i'm cool with melodrama and all but let's not be subtle, the story just plain didn't need a fucking potential incest sub plot....

Speaking of Ghibli, has anyone here seen The Wind Rises or The Tale of Princess Kaguya yet?

Except for Borrowers Arriety, most of the studio's output over the last decade of so I haven't been blown away by so hoping those 2 can deliver.

I've had a poor vq copy of Wind Rises for a while now but it didn't have subs. 

K so ended up getting a new subbed copy of The Wind Rises the other day and finished it today. 

Feels like the kind of film I should say a lot about but I can't really think of the proper words to use.

In a nutshell though, I loved the movie a lot and would call it the best Miyazaki's done since Princess Mononoke 16 years earlier. 

I'd like it just as much even if it wasn't but I do also feel that knowing it's the last ever movie he'll do (spare me the "yeah right" comments please) sort of adds a bit of charm to things. Feels like him just marking out for all the things he really loves & is passionate about, a fitting ending to me. 

Watched Appleseed Alpha.  Personally a huge fan of Masamune Shirow's manga and the Briareos and Deunan characters, but I still feel an animation has yet to truly capture the feel of their relationship.  This was a fun little post-apocalyptic action movie, but a little too self-contained.  Wish we could get a little more romance for Deunan and Briareos.

Most of the shows I can recall from the last five years have been solid, but not much more.

Wow.....that's kind of sad then. 

I mean, I love Gundam and all but it's 2014 and that franchise started several years before I was even born. Was sorta hoping someone else had made something classic of late besides Gundam (and Votoms :) )

Dunno, i'm so out of the loop now.  

Are mech shows even still a big thing anymore or did that kind of die out like the cop show genre? 

Most of the shows I can recall from the last five years have been solid, but not much more.

Wow.....that's kind of sad then. 

I mean, I love Gundam and all but it's 2014 and that franchise started several years before I was even born. Was sorta hoping someone else had made something classic of late besides Gundam (and Votoms :) )

Dunno, i'm so out of the loop now.  

Are mech shows even still a big thing anymore or did that kind of die out like the cop show genre? 

They aren't a big thing outside of the occasional stand out and Gundam. Don't take my comment as meaning there is nothing worth watching. I just don't think there has been much that reached greatness or anything. You should try catching some shows to see what they do for you. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen from the last five years.

It does, though, look like mecha anime is getting a little resurgence lately, even if some are tangentially mecha (AKB0048, Gargantia) or are mediocre (Nobunaga The Fool).  And the near future looks good with the second Buddy Complex season, three Gundam shows and another new Macross show.

So if we go by ANN's list, here's the mecha shows I enjoyed from 2010 on:

Unicorn

Break Blade

Star Driver

Super Robot Wars Original Generation

Infinite Stratos (first season only; second season went downhill)

Rinne no Lagrange

AKB0048 (ok, so I'm probably still the only one on here who's seen this...)

Gyrozetter (kid show)

Majestic Prince

Gargantia

Valvrave

Gundam Build Fighters

Buddy Complex

Robot Girls Z

Knights of Sidonia

Jury's still out on Argevellon and Aldnoah from this season.

Aldnoah is good so far and shows potential for more. I haven't been too impressed with Argovellen though its been decent thus far.

If I were to list the mech shows I have enjoyed over the last five years it would probably looks like this:

Aquarion Evol

Basquash

Break Blade (movies)

Majestic Prince

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam Build Fighters

Infinite Stratos (first season)

Valvrave

Langrange

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

Evangeleon Rebuild movies

I'm also enjoying the current mech shows airing (Argovollen, Captain Earth, Aldnoah). Buddy Complex and Sidonia were decent enough their first seasons. Waiting to see how their second seasons goes before I judge.

I liked Aquarion EVOL at first...before they threw in the stupid WTF retcon of the original series.

Basquash is really good except for the odd ending.

Muv-Luv Alternative: TE...no, especially since to get the whole story you have to play the VNs and from what I remember reading the last one got mixed reactions.

Eva Rebuild...I'll wait and see how the fourth movie is when it comes out (although people still think Anno will leak the script to the SRW folks for the final Z3 chapter so may get an early preview there).  The third movie was...not good.