DVDVR Message Board

Mad Men: The Final Season (Part One)

Petey

Couldn't find a thread for this, which makes sense since last season ended a little before the old board crashed.

I watched the premiere live and thought it was great. Really set the tone for the season and has me pretty curious to see how it all plays out.

I thought it was a great first episode back and is continuing the season six finale's idea of shattering the Don Draper illusion.

The episode really flew by to the point that I was surprised when we reached the final commercial break.

Also, as lost as Don seems to be, poor Roger Sterling is just a wreck. You have a feeling his death will happen before this series ends. 

Mrs Draper gives me the same issues Maryse does.

Do you have a stronger dislike for the Irish or the French?

I thought it was a great first episode back and is continuing the season six finale's idea of shattering the Don Draper illusion.

The episode really flew by to the point that I was surprised when we reached the final commercial break.

Also, as lost as Don seems to be, poor Roger Sterling is just a wreck. You have a feeling his death will happen before this series ends. 

I loved the pacing. The episode didn't drag at all. And yeah, Roger's in bad shape, which is a shame since he's arguably my favorite character.

Megan rents a house in one of the canyons, where the coyotes cry at night. When Don arrives in January 1969, he calls the place “Dracula’s castle” and is concerned that she is living in such a deserted area. Sharon Tate moved into record producer Terry Melcher’s Benedict Canyon house in February 1969, and was murdered that August by the Charles Manson gang. Last season, Megan wore a T-shirt that was identical to one Tate wore in 1967. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Regarding PuroresuFan's spoiler: A lot of people suggested that last season to the point that it was being brought up in interviews and such, and Weiner has categorically denied that it will happen. Flat no, basically. I forget the exact quote, but he basically said the show is not built around moments like the one that many or suggesting. 

Am I alone in that I can't stand the Lou Avery character? If they are putting him in as a placeholder to make people wish for Don Draper to come back to the agency, they are being very transparent about it.

I don't think he's being intended to be a character that we care about, and the writing's not helping. He ends up falling more in the XPAC "get off my tv screen" heat more so than true heel heat.

Don is a changed man. There's no way the Don Draper of old would've accepted those ridiculous conditions in his contract, and I was waiting for him to tell them to shove it. Instead, he somewhat meekly accepts. Similarly, he genuinely appears to be living clean. Or at least, when he told Megan that he'd been drinking less and hadn't been with another woman, I believed him. And though it didn't show it, I don't believe he accepted the random offer from the woman in the restaurant.

I agree that Mad Men has gone on about two seasons too long, and it sucks to see this version of Don. Had hoped that he would make a triumphant comeback this season, but Don is now a sad shell of his former self. It may be more realistic, but I am perfectly willing to suspend disbelief and Don would Hulk up to his old self. It does not help the show that Breaking Bad ended at the right time and all good shows will now be compared to the great final run of BB.

Why was Joan so reluctant to Don coming back? I get her saying "this is working" (without him) even though it seems the company is sinking little by little - she has moved up the ladder since Don left - but she was way too negative for no reason imo. Unless I'm forgetting something the happened last season, which is entirely possible.

Oh, and was Betty's storyline just the nth example of her being a spoiled brat or was there something more meaningful there?

Why was Joan so reluctant to Don coming back? I get her saying "this is working" (without him) even though it seems the company is sinking little by little - she has moved up the ladder since Don left - but she was way too negative for no reason imo. Unless I'm forgetting something the happened last season, which is entirely possible.

Oh, and was Betty's storyline just the nth example of her being a spoiled brat or was there something more meaningful there?

Didn't Don screw something up with Jaguar, which was the account where Joan had to sleep with that one guy for SCDP to land it (in exchange, she got a piece of the firm and a voting stake)?

Well, I anxiously await the inevitable Don/Lou Avery showdown.

Same. And while it seems like everyone is down on Don being a shell of his former self, I'm fully expecting him to strong arm Lou out of the company and again rise to the top. It's easier to root for Don because it does seem like he's cleaned himself up.

Also, I know that the old Don would never have accepted these terms, but I think Don coming back was more due to the fact that he knew that working was the only thing that felt "right" and what he's good at, so he was willing to do whatever it took to return to work.

Didn't Don screw something up with Jaguar, which was the account where Joan had to sleep with that one guy for SCDP to land it (in exchange, she got a piece of the firm and a voting stake)?

Ahh, that's it. You are right.

Ahh, that's it. You are right.

I had forgotten that too, I always had the impression that Don was one of the few people who showed respect to Joan as a professional but I can see how she could nurse a grudge for that. In spite of her comments in this episode, I can see Peggy later teaming up with Don, united in their hatred of Lou Avery. 

Yeah, I was wondering too why Joan and Peggy were fairly bitchy to Draper, as I remember him basically being the only guy there who gave them a chance and championed their work, but I guess I forgot about the Jaguar thing too.

Still not sure Peggy's reaction feels right though. Sure, they've butted heads a few times, but he's always stood up for her work, or pushed her hard to do better. Plus, when she secretly had a baby years ago, he was the one who kept that secret.