DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

3 Vaults and nothing to show for it. 2 guns 'I've already got, my 8th and 9th sparrow, my 7th and 8th warlock helm, my 5th Titan helm. Nothing but shards and energies for the rest of it.

I brought 2 exotic engrams from Xur and got the last 2 Titan helms i needed. I don't get this game.

I am torn on re-rolling my mask of the 3rd man with Xur this week.  It has the highest intellect setting I've ever noticed, but with all the gear I'm wearing for my hunter right now my intellect is maxed out anyway.  (I have 0 discipline though).  If I reroll it now, I'd hate to have to reroll again on the 19th to get it up to level 34...and it'd be extremely wasteful.  I've been researching on the net, bungie forums, but I can't find a definitive answer (from bungie) on how the exotic gear will be leveled.  I know I'll need etheric light, but will it reset the stats on it like how rerolling with Xur does now?

Anyway, when I have more time later I'll discuss the Crota raid fiasco from a few nights back.  Apologies to JT and Phil about that...

I am torn on re-rolling my mask of the 3rd man with Xur this week.  It has the highest intellect setting I've ever noticed, but with all the gear I'm wearing for my hunter right now my intellect is maxed out anyway.  (I have 0 discipline though).  If I reroll it now, I'd hate to have to reroll again on the 19th to get it up to level 34...and it'd be extremely wasteful.  I've been researching on the net, bungie forums, but I can't find a definitive answer (from bungie) on how the exotic gear will be leveled.  I know I'll need etheric light, but will it reset the stats on it like how rerolling with Xur does now?

Anyway, when I have more time later I'll discuss the Crota raid fiasco from a few nights back.  Apologies to JT and Phil about that...

If i remember correctly to ascend an exotic to the new max level in House of Wolves all it takes is a second exotic shard (and a little glimmer/materials etc). You also wont have to level it up again like you did with the old Xur system. So for the stats, if you have an exotic with a high roll it will be leveled up accordingly once its ascended. The etheric light is only for legendary items. As for re-rolling, there's no need for Xur to re-roll weapons anymore since the new ascending system pretty much takes its place, even if you have a pre Dark Below exotic weapon ascending it with a second shard will put it at the new max. Don't know if he will still sell re-rolls of armor though just to get higher stats.

Killed hard mode Crota again. God i hate that fight, normal mode is such a breeze but whenever we do hard mode we seem to get every possible glitch before he finally lets us kill him. Got my Word of Crota, the last remaining Crota gun i needed. I just need the crux now but i'm in no rush, once HoW is out and everyone's running around at level 34 it should make the hard mode fight considerably easier. I also got a 5th Dragons breath because fuck you RNG.

Just the god damn Vault that's holding out on me now, give me my guns (and titan arms) damn it!

Yeah, Phil and JT,  I'm really fucking sorry about that raid experience.  About an hour before you guys got on, Slimy and myself two-manned it up past the second bridge.  We spent waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too long fucking around trying to fit all the puzzle pieces together when we should have just had me wipe & self res then have slimy take the sword across and chill.

We eventually made it, albeit not with that original group.  We all kept fucking up.  Ended up making it to Crota before people got tired of the glitchy bullshit Crota was pulling (fucker had no health and killed the swordbearer, wtf).  I ended up getting the last piece of armor for my hunter(boots) and my warlock(chest) out of the bridge, and an abyss defiant...but still, the time it took us to fuck that up we should have been able to run that thing from beginning to end 3 times. 

I understand we had 3 people who had never done it before, and we were running hard mode...but fuck, that was the easy part ya know?  The hard part of Hard mode is the deathsinger and crota himself, and if done correctly, that's not even really too difficult.

Vault of Glass at 30 can still be rougher than Crota at 32, just because everybody needs to have their shit together....I'm going to try and do a few Vault runs next week, it's been too long since I made Atheon my bitch.....and I still want Gjallerhorn.

I feel stuck at 24. I am still trying to increase my Vanguard and Crucible ranks, but I also cannot seem to drop gear that has more than 15 max light. Is this the game forcing me to invest in some of that purchased gear/attempt to run through a raid?

The quickest way is to pick a faction and just level that up

All experience goes into it (vanguard and crucible) - you will get rewards at each level starting at Level 3

And you can start buying their legendary gear at level 2 and the armor at all vendors is Light 33

Its hard to get to a high level just from dropped gear. You're pretty much going to have to wait for a purple engram to drop or get a legendary item as a reward for a weekly or crucible match. You cant get past level 26 with just rare gear. Light 21 is the highest a blue item armor piece can give you

Get yourself an exotic from Xur next time hes in the tower if you have the coin for it. It will be light 36 (once upgraded) so it will give you the biggest boost in light level compared to a normal, non raid, legendary item.

As Ripper said, pick a faction and stick with it. Everything you do, weeklies, strikes, patrols, crucibles, bounties all level it up. They are doing away with the commendation system once HoW drops on the 19th so it will be even easier to purchase legendary items from a faction vendor. If you've maxed out on vanguard or crucible marks (200) you can buy 2 pieces of legendary gear. If i remember right the gloves and boots only cost 75 marks to buy.

Got my first Crota kill as a swordbearar tonight. I had a couple of cracks at it on Tuesday but it was late so we just used the normal sword guy to get it done. Having done all the weekly stuff this week i went back to Crota's End just for practice. Had 2 people shooting rockets just to make sure he went down without any issues and i got him on my 3rd attempt. Eat a dick, Crota!

• Like 1

I'd just stick with vanguard for initially leveling up. Faction stuff is kind of limited and you're not being as efficient trying to level up by playing crucible. You don't get as many marks for wins/losses as you do from strikes and strikes take a shorter amount of time. Level up your rank by doing bounties and running strikes. Also try to hit a public event when you can each day.

Once you get to vanguard 2 you can buy armor, legs and arms don't need a commendation. Also do your weekly heroic strike and get strange coins and buy some exotic armor. Run vault of glass on normal when you can. You can get some easy light 30 armor that way.

If you're on PS4 I can give you a hand when I'm on.

• Like 1

I'd just stick with vanguard for initially leveling up. Faction stuff is kind of limited and you're not being as efficient trying to level up by playing crucible. You don't get as many marks for wins/losses as you do from strikes and strikes take a shorter amount of time. Level up your rank by doing bounties and running strikes. Also try to hit a public event when you can each day.

Once you get to vanguard 2 you can buy armor, legs and arms don't need a commendation. Also do your weekly heroic strike and get strange coins and buy some exotic armor. Run vault of glass on normal when you can. You can get some easy light 30 armor that way.

If you're on PS4 I can give you a hand when I'm on.

I see you on a bit, but never throw you an invite. Yeah, I think that's been my mistake is I have been balancing Vanguard and Crucible. I am close enough to level 2 in Crucible that I will hit it, and I am pretty close to Vanguard too but have yet to hit my marks.

Do you have The Dark Below DLC? If so you get legendary gauntlets from completing Eris' quests which aren't terribly difficult other than killing Urzok which can be hit or miss.

Vanguard marks are easiest to get. You get a fair amount from the weekly heroic strike, you get them from public events, from running strikes from the strike playlist, and from the daily heroic story missions. Also the nightfall once you level high enough.

The main downside of factions for someone leveling up are that all of their gear costs crucible marks which take much longer to get. You get 3 for winning a match and 2 for losing. It's just a big time commitment. If you did the Vanguard Tiger strike playlist which is level 24 you get 6 marks per strike and they take less time than a crucible match.

Do you have The Dark Below DLC? If so you get legendary gauntlets from completing Eris' quests which aren't terribly difficult other than killing Urzok which can be hit or miss.

Vanguard marks are easiest to get. You get a fair amount from the weekly heroic strike, you get them from public events, from running strikes from the strike playlist, and from the daily heroic story missions. Also the nightfall once you level high enough.

The main downside of factions for someone leveling up are that all of their gear costs crucible marks which take much longer to get. You get 3 for winning a match and 2 for losing. It's just a big time commitment. If you did the Vanguard Tiger strike playlist which is level 24 you get 6 marks per strike and they take less time than a crucible match.

I was waiting to get the DLC until I got closer to 30. I may cave on it once I get to 26 or so, though.

The first time I did the Iron Banner I used my trusty legendary scout rifle. I'd not done a whole lot of Crucible before so went with a weapon I knew. The next time the IB came around I used my freshly purchased Red Death and freshly dropped Hawkmoon.

Since then I've gotten Thorn, The Last Word and the Mythoclast. I fear if I ever do the Iron Banner again I'll become 'that guy'...

I did the Archon Priest Strike in the Strike playlist at Level 22 last night. It was what popped up in the Wolf Playlist. I forgot how frustrating this strike can be with half the battle being just survival and trying to keep your other teammates alive. Granted, this may be from not playing this strike a lot and not learning a great spot to camp out to take care of business, but this Strike more so than many of the others seems to be more chaotic when it relates to how enemies spawn.

During the boss fight, you can avoid a lot of the adds by hanging out on the entrance side. Relatively few of them will actually search you out over there (mostly the shanks and a wave of stealth vandals), and there's lots of cover, plus you can retreat back up the entrance way if it gets too hairy for a minute.

I'm working on the Thorn (Hunter) and Invective(Warlock, yeah, I know I should be doing thorn on my warlock and invective on my hunter, but those are the way the bounties came to me...)

I'm not really looking forward to putting all that glimmer back into the invective, and the secret handshake I have on my hunter has some of the best stats I've seen on a shotgun.  I also have 3-4 Found Verdicts laying around, but they don't seem to be as devastating in crucible as what they were.  I'm going to try and finish those AFTER HoW drops next week and see if I get them at the new max level.

It looks like I won't get to finish Crota this week...That's the reason why I brought JT and Phil in to work from the hard part THEN do the easy shit and fuck around at the beginning.  When you've got murderous bastards with icebreaker and gjallarhorn you can't just sit them on the bench, we need to unleash the fury.  Next time...things will be different.

Reset is tomorrow, I'm already mentally preparing myself for RNG letdown

Edited by misanthrope304

During the boss fight, you can avoid a lot of the adds by hanging out on the entrance side. Relatively few of them will actually search you out over there (mostly the shanks and a wave of stealth vandals), and there's lots of cover, plus you can retreat back up the entrance way if it gets too hairy for a minute.

Yeah, you can sit on the left hand side cliff top. You can happily get good damage on the priest and its easy to retreat if they start firing back, you just jump back down to the entrance. Only thing that can do big damage to you is if the ship starts firing, but again, just fall back to the entrance. The Priest is one of the hardest boss fights to do if you're out there in the trenches fighting. Lots of enemies spawning and a fast, aggressive, boss that can teleport. But sitting up in those cliffs it becomes one of the easiest to beat.

We did a few roc strikes tonight since we'd done all the weekly content. Ended up with 13 blue engrams that turned into a bunch of guns and armor i'll never use and 3 motes of light. It did level up the Cryptarch though. So i head over to the postmaster for the Vanguard package, preparing myself for the usual disappointing rewards, but instead 2 legendary engrams pop up. Back to the Cryptarch, the game must just be screwing with me, so again i ready myself for the disappointment as Rahool will just turn them into shards and energies, and mock me. But whats this, the boot engram turns into some legendary Titan boots, again i'll never use them, but its nice to get an actual item out of an engram for once. I open up the special weapons legendary engram and, BOOM, The 4th Horseman! I'll never speak ill of Rahool again (until next time...)

• Like 1

FUCK THORN.

The Last Word can dine on a bag of dicks as well

Y'all suck.  I fucking rule in the Crucible with hand cannons.  I have gotten tons of Hate PMs thanks to my awesomeness with Thorn.

Got my Third Man Mask last Friday but haven't been able to upgrade the final node it or improve my new Oversoul Edict to the point where I'll need more Radiant Energies, thanks to real life and my shitty slow mortgage company. 

Hopefully once this home owner nightmare is over, I'll be back online shooting things in the head.

Your Nightfall of the week is Omnigul with Arc, Juggler and Lightswitch. Possibly as retribution for me mocking the past 3 weeks worth. Thralls pretty much one hit you with arc and lightswitch and I'm not sure if Omnigul is worse with no burn or just arc burn. Either way there won't be as much running around and dicking about this week.