DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Just spent about an hour doing the weekly strike with some friends. We had a good strategy to fight Phogoth up until those wizards and knights come out in full force. But we did it after about 6 or 7 attempts. Unfortunately, the Cryptarch gave us a bunch of useless shit for our troubles. Typical. Those 6 strange coins really come in handy though.

I think I might hit rank 3 on Vanguard tomorrow. And if I can get some more shards, I'll be a happy camper. 

Hopefully I can successfully finish my first Nightfall soon.

This is terrible. I played through the Summoning Pits Strike again to get the bounty for defeating Phogoth. I only died twice through this playthrough as the two other guys with me were Level 20 as well, and we were able to take care of business without being swarmed too much; however, my second death was right before they finished Phogoth off, and I spawned right after it happened.

Much to my dismay, I did not get the bounty.

The "easy" way to do Phogoth is to not run into the actual Summoning Pit.

Stay in the door way and snipe him from a far.

The Shrieker will appear in the cave with you - retreat further back down the hallway so it can't hit you. When it vanishes - go back to shooting Phogoth.

You may or may not get paid a visit from a Wizard or two but since they are funneling through the doorway - they are easy to handle.

Just like on doing the Nexus strike - don't drop down into the large room the Nexus is. Just snipe the minotaurs and then pummel the Nexus. The only thing you have to watch is an Access Minotaur will spawn behind you like once a minute. But killing him will also be a nice source of ammo.

I need to vent.

I am so fucking sick of cashing in Engrams for fucking Rustburner armor. The more I play this game the more pissed I get. This fucking thing was in development for-fucking-ever and they couldn't even come up with as varied weapons as Borderlands. Fucking Borderlands was out probably when Destiny became an idea for these guys and all they came up with was the same rote fucking bullshit over and over again. Same guns. Same armor. Over and over again. To make matters worse, all the Destiny guys have done is make shit more redundant and more of a grind. I just don't get it. I don't fucking get it. One of their updates from early on was to make certain missions easier by removing the yellow and/or named monsters from certain sections, like taking the yellow/named Knights out of one of those missions on the Moon. Now I see that it was to stop players from farming that section. They've killed loot caves in the wrong way too. For some reason I thought they nerfed those by reducing the drops that come out of them. No. They nerfed those by nerfing the entire game by reducing the frequency of drops. They did all of this bullshit without having any kind of auction house or trading setup so you're just fucked into a game of grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding, and more grinding.

Part of this comes from me doing some Helium farming last night. In the course of Farming, I played two Public Events, cleared those, and received no credit. There was no notification that I gold starred it, no Ascendant drops, nothing. Getting pissed at that, I figured I would do a Weekly Strike solo, or at least try to. I'm 4 levels higher than the recommended level so I figured I could solo it. Hah fucking hah. The difficulty level is stupid hard. It just amplifies how much of a bullet sponge everything in the game is. So when I hit a wall with that, I did some Strike Playlist shit at level 24, which is 2 levels below me. Those were considerably easier, partly because the game pairs up other players with you, unlike what is done with the Weekly Strike, for whatever reason. Even still, I was never in any danger. What was my reward for those Strikes? More Rustburner armor. 

At this point, I'm stuck at level 26 primarily because it takes so goddamn long to get Ascendant Shards. The game seemingly mocks me too when it gives me Ascendant Energy, as opposed to Shards. Getting Ascendant Shards comes down to the one Public Event you get rewarded for at the Postmaster, if you're lucky enough and it isn't bugged when completing other Public Events, and breaking down Legendary items you purchase from the Vanguard or Crucible dealers. How do you get the Marks for Vanguard and Crucible? By grinding.

Of course, Ascendant shit drops frequently in Nightfalls and raids from what I've been told, but without any kind of in game LFG type system setup, you're boned on doing those as well.

Fuck this stupid game. And of course, fuck me for being stupid enough to keep playing it. I genuinely like the game, but its flaws become bigger and bigger each day I play it. Destiny could have been so much more and it boggles my mind for how the most basic MMO shit could have been left out and how they could keep employing "fixes" that just fuck things up even more.

• Like 3

They definitely have an idea of what the "right way to play the game" is and are trying to force people to play it that.

Like Mark was telling me that he read in one of the Bungie updates that they said the reason that auto rifle and shotgun were nerfed was because "too many people were using them" and how the didn't like that "veteran" players were telling new players that their priority should be to get a good auto rifle and shotgun

Yeah, I read their whole "there shouldn't be one way to win at Destiny" thing. I agree with it, but that primarily comes down to PvP. I'm glad they're active in "balancing" PvP, but PvP is such a small part of the game. PvE is the bigger part of Destiny and it lacks a fucking map of all things.

I am on a weird 11AM - 8PM EST shift until Friday.

I got all of the Vanguard stuff done before breakfast.  Messed around in the Crucible for five Control matches.  Turned in two Crucible bounties for match completions and zone captures (CRUCIBLE RANK 3~!) and was one grenade kill short of completing another bounty from yesterday until I saw it was time to go to work.

I got a pair of Legendary gauntlets for my Welcome to Crucible Rank 3 presant that I broke down for shards.  I'll use 'em to upgrade the Exotic armor I will eventually get from Xur one way or another.

Bought a Legendary Sniper Rifle with my Crucible earnings so I have finally ditched all Blue weapons.

I am now working on the same goddamned Exotic Fusion Rifle bounty that Rippa is working on.  Thankfully enough for me, I remembered the location on Venus where the Dead Ghost is.  I'd seen dozens of players go into that area while I was on a Spirt Bloom farming run.

Gate Lord on Heroic went more smoothly than I expected it to.  Mostly because of Gjallerhorn and me remembering not to stand around like a dumbass while the Vex port in.

Doing the Gate Lord mission over was a nice excuse to ogle the Queen of the Reef and remind myself why I want to beat the shit out of her brother.  I am positive that he will swerve in later DLC and I will be there to peel his cap back.

I also wrapped up the story mission yesterday.  Boss fight is not so much of a Boss fight when Gjallarhorn is making heads asplode.

I love and hate concept art.

I would totally join Dead Orbit if I got a Legendary Jumsphip that had the Dead Orbit logo on it when I got to Rank 4:

Destiny-JavelinStarship.png

Why is this beautiful ship not in the game?

Well what do you know?  I may have my afternoon comped and get out of here by 1600hrs (4PM EST) because the clowns at JBLM are slacking and did not seem to realize that they were the ones that scheduled the network testing today..

I ONLY NEED ONE MORE GRENADE KILL~!

I got five kills with Gjallarhorn in the Crucible this morning including getting three dudes in one shot in under a second which earned me a Splash Damage medal.

Where was all of this rocket launcher murder when i had the Ashes and Dust bounty yesterday and got killed nearly everytime I went for Heavy Ammo?

I checked the Gunsmith stock via Bungie.Net and almost screamed with rage when I saw the Uncommon weapon for sale, but it was a Scout Rifle and not a Fusion Rifle.  With any luck, I'll be at the crib by the time Banshee refreshes his stock and he will have Uncommon Fusion Rifles for sale.

If he has one in stock and I buy ten of them, I will be using every Ether Seed I own getting my Glimmer pool back into shape.

Aftet doing Asylum today, got all the Grimore cards for crucible locationa.

l

Asylum?  What mode did you fight in to get to that map?  I may have to suffer through some Skirmish if I can score on another Grimoire card.

Playing Clash on the Bastion map absolutely blows. Worst clash map ever!

I hate both of the vehicle maps.   That being said, my best Clash performance was on the map I hate the most: First Light on the Moon.

I got Asylum via Salvage but you can get it via Skirmish too.

It's on Venus and it looks like you are playing through a blownout shopping mall

*sigh* 

So it is one of the 3 vs. 3 maps.  I may try a Skirmish or two per night in hope of getting the Grimoire card for the map, even though I hate Skirmish and Rumble matches.

What's funny is that I didn't realize how many people hated Bastion as a clash map until I just Googled "Bastion Destiny" and like 4 message board threads came up about how it's the worst map and how people are immediately quitting when seeing it.

First Light is the other one that comes up.

Which totally explains last night since JT and I played them back to back and both times we were on squads that suddenly only had 3 people on it.

It appears that the general rule seems to be that folks are quitting because large map are anti-shotgun

What's funny is that I didn't realize how many people hated Bastion as a clash map until I just Googled "Bastion Destiny" and like 4 message board threads came up about how it's the worst map and how people are immediately quitting when seeing it.

First Light is the other one that comes up.  Which totally explains last night since JT and I played them back to back and both times we were on squads that suddenly only had 3 people on it.

It appears that the general rule seems to be that folks are quitting because large map are anti-shotgun.

First Light is not a zerg map; it favors good snipers and vehicle pilots.  I either do really well or really shitty on First Light depending on the quality of the snipers on the other team.  If you can get players to cover you while you are in the turret, you can do a lot of damage.

I am not fond of the Vehicle / Turret maps even though two my best performances ever have been on First Light and Bastion.  My best run in a Clash match was in the Rusted Lands.

I'm way too used to having a map as a crutch because my first couple hours on Earth consisted of me getting lost, falling into places I wasn't a high enough level to attempt, and Mis attempting to hold my hand through a level and me generally failing miserably.

Other than that, I'm enjoying what I've played so far. 

Bastion is one of those maps that I hate in one mode and love in another.  I hate Bastion and First Light if we are in a Clash match, but can deal with them if it is Control. 

There are too many places in Bastion and First Light where teams can camp and once you're behind in points, your team is constantly at a disadvantage because you are charging into a hornets nest. 

At least Control forces you to occasionally move and take ground in order to score points.

Guys who don't quit are becoming my new favorite players in Destiny last night

As I said - JT and I hit First Light last night and we were suddenly 3-6. 

God Bless the random dude who was with us as he kept plugging away trying to get his kills in and do his best.

I really should have added him to my preferred player list

I did one Clash match last night, and this was the map I was placed.

It's horrible.

I hate maps that have too much open space and spawn you where you have to run to get into the action. I find my deaths multiply threefold whenever this happens.

Plus, my eyesight was being weird last night and would blur a little as I tried to play. I need to learn to never play without my glasses.

After going days without getting shards in public events, I picked up 3 in 2 different events in the span of 15 minutes this morning. I'm finally level 28 and only a few hundred reps away from rank 3 on Vanguard.

Got my first Exotic Bounty today - Shattered Memory Fragment. But something tells me I didn't pick the easiest bounty out of the 3 I had to chose from. 

Yes, it was a skirmish, since i had to 5 to get a bounty.

Tried to do walker with my other subclass solo and only got silver.

Luckily, i was on the moon when warsat hit, so i got 2 public golds today. (Got the 3 gold bounty this morning)