DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

One small gripe- glimmer. Not sure if I should be saving up for something in particular or buying shit on the regular. Seems like any guns that I an buy in the tower that are significant upgrades aren't of use until I hit a level a couple above where I'm at at the time. And by the time I reach that level those guns aren't a significant upgrade anymore but there are more available now that are but I can't use until I hit a couple more levels. And cycle and cycle etc. Same with armor.

I had a whole bunch of glimmer that I wasn't doing anything with. I never buy weapons or armour, I pick up upgrades to improve them. So I bought a new sparrow. It's a different colour~!

• Like 1

What I remember reading (since I haven't started playing yet) is that at Level 20 you stop gaining XP directly. Instead in turns into some sort of "thing" that you can convert into special armor.

That armor then boosts you past Level 20.

As far as I know the highest anyone has seen is Level 29

Got a copy yesterday while I was out on leave for a court date (my girlfriend is suing her former tenants). 

Got to play earlier than I thought I would since the court date was moved to October 29th because someone phoned in a bomb threat.

http://wtvr.com/2014/09/10/bomb-threat-closes-prince-george-county-courthouse/

Created my Exo Titan, got the origin misson done, got my free junk, stored my extra emblems and shaders in my vault, revived a couple of Dead Ghosts I found in the Tower that added two more cards to my Grimoire (info on the various factions in the city like The Symmetry and the Future War Cult and a card with some lore in it about Warlocks), and parked him in front of the Armory. 

I also joined the XBox clan.

I will play more once I get a better handle on who is playing on XBox 360 and when they are online.  I'd rather roll with a fireteam of clan members since there are quite a few achievements that can only be unlocked only if you are in a full fireteam composed of clan members..

• Like 1

I really love this game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's a lot of fun.

Also, I would pay between $60 and $200 for an expansion that made for space battles that were somewhere in the realm between Star Wars: Armada (the best Star Wars flight sim) and...Colony Wars. I have this cool looking ship. I want to pilot the damn thing to a planet. I want to get into space battles. Bungie came close to that with Halo: Reach, now they need to go the full way.

• Like 1

I also grumbled and paid for the Expansion Pass.

Destiny made back its half billion dollar production budget in one day, so all money made from here on out is pure profit, not withstanding man hours needed for patching and server maintainence or expansion pack development costs..  That is fucking sick.

• Like 1

@ glfpunk.

With so many codes floating around for weapons, armor, and emblems, I will probably end up saving up my Glimmer for ground vehicles and upgrades and rely on the Vanguard armory to see me through.   Armed Sparrows are worth the investment.

Until Bungie decides to put in player controlled jumpships and interstellar combat, I am not going to bother paying for a rare jumpship or any expensive jumpship upgrades for it since their only purpose is plot progression.  My garden variety jumpship will get me to the Moon as same as any other Guardian's uber special jumpship.

Destiny made back its half billion dollar production budget in one day, so all money made from here on out is pure profit, not withstanding man hours needed for patching and server maintainence or expansion pack development costs..  That is fucking sick.

How much are Bungie and Activision actually getting from the $500M sales? How big is the media budget?

I actually spent some glimmer last night.  Grabbed a nice 119 attack hand cannon (I'm level 12), and snagged a 134 defense chest armor that I can't use until I hit level 14.  Those were significant upgrades from stuff that I had in each category.

Yeah, I am going to follow my old WoW / Everquest rule.  All common loot is going to get converted into Glimmer and only use Glimmer to pay for significant upgrades for my toon.

I am angry yet thankful that there is no player economy in Destiny.

I mistakenly dropped around 300 glimmer on an item by mistake. When you are in the vendor screens, a question really needs to pop-up asking if you're sure you want to buy that item. It's far to easy to tap X and buy some bullshit you didn't want.

How much are Bungie and Activision actually getting from the $500M sales? How big is the media budget?

Not sure how middle men and other fixed costs will enter the equation, but they've got to be pleased with the history making first day sales figure.

Media budget is probably huge but commercial spots are one time investments.   I wouldn't be shocked if the last 24 hours paid for the live action commercial spot a hundred times over.

I am not surprised that the decision was made to waive charging any sort of subscription fee.  Bungievision is reaping the good will windfall right now from a smooth launch, a relatively bug free playing experience, and not nickel and diming players to death.

I mistakenly dropped around 300 glimmer on an item by mistake. When you are in the vendor screens, a question really needs to pop-up asking if you're sure you want to buy that item. It's far to easy to tap X and buy some bullshit you didn't want.

Yeah I fucking threw away some sweet ass armor on accident because I got it mixed up with another. 

It's strange because to disassemble an item into Glimmer, you have to hold down square (I think it's square), but to make a purchase, it's just tap and boom, it's in your inventory.

I also can't be alone in thinking that your inventory size is absurdly large compared to the amount of loot you receive. Why even have a vault to store your shit in?

It's strange because to disassemble an item into Glimmer, you have to hold down square (I think it's square), but to make a purchase, it's just tap and boom, it's in your inventory.

I also can't be alone in thinking that your inventory size is absurdly large compared to the amount of loot you receive. Why even have a vault to store your shit in?

I really don't need a lot of vault space because I am not a pack rat.  If loot armor / weapons are not up to snuff with what I am wearing, it will get turned into Glimmer.

My issue will be what to do with Emblems and Shaders.  I will be loath to get rid of them all, so I am liable to toss the extras in my vault.

I will also use vault space to store hoarded consumables and materiels.  That spinmetal and wire will come in handy someday.