DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

A question from my general limited access to Lucha - how important are titles considered? Considering the importance of matches with hair or masks involved, I've always had the feeling the titles don't mean as much as they do in some other countries. Would I be right?

From the daily update, figured I'd ask about it here:

Mr. Niebla told Metro on Thursday that he is definitely out of EMLL right now and is working strictly as an independent and is also open to returning to AAA which won't happen. Niebla's story here has changed a few times but all of this went down because of how he acted while in Japan which he can get away with in Mexico but he can't embarrass the promotion there.

So what did he do in Japan? And how is it possible for Niebla to be even more obnoxious in real life than his actual character?

No one's said for sure, but everyone believes (and Niebla's implied) he got so drunk as to get kicked off the FantasticaMania tour. It's unclear if he got drunk in between shows, and it's possible he got so drunk he was in no condition to wrestle and tried to anyway. (The video of the last show he was on has not turned up, AFAIK.) Niebla has acknowledged in the past he has drinking problems and has turned it into part of his character, but alcoholism has beat him more times than he's beat it of late.

He had a "trachea" injury and you insensitive MF'ers are making stories up! :)

(BTW, I do like Mr. Niebla personally. Not a bad guy, but I'm sure when he gets drunk he turns into Peste Negra Mr. Niebla and that in the real world must be quite the adventure to have to babysit on a week-long tour of Japan. Drinking is going to be hard for him to stop if he stays in lucha libre.)

A question from my general limited access to Lucha - how important are titles considered? Considering the importance of matches with hair or masks involved, I've always had the feeling the titles don't mean as much as they do in some other countries. Would I be right?

quick answer: you would be right, titles don't mean much

Titles have meant a lot in the past - the NWA belts were important deals, and the UWA heavyweight matches appear to have been a draw (I'm less certain about other titles). I'm not sure if I can exactly pinpoint went it ended. CMLL creating their own set of belts in the early 90s without taking the old belts out of circulation obviously harmed the value of all the belts, but maybe the decline started even before then.

AAA would really like to be more like the WWE in theory, in having everything based around a strong heavyweight title with a few complimentary belts and do fewer apuesta matches. In practice, AAA's more like WWE in reality, where the heavyweight belt goes on ice for months when a top guy gets it, or gets treated liked a semimain act when they try to elevate someone.

Another question from a relative newbie...is there an explanation for the 'bump'? The bit where a wrestler bumps a wrestler before then inevitably hitting the ropes for a move. I'm assuming it is arguably to do with positioning or throwing your opponent off balance, but just wondered if there was more to it than that, or if it was just a nuance of the style.

Might have to do with the fact in general tecnicos are smaller than their rudo counterparts. Older maestros hate the lock-up to start things because why would a small guy willing lock-up with someone larger and put himself at a disadvantage? So you see either the "bump" to use your momentum to knock the guy back and get going or the single-leg takedown and you go from there.

Aero/Jack worked together a couple weeks back at Lucha Underground and it was said to be really great so I'm not too worried even though I tend to agree with you, these type of matches should always have a base.

Oh that C3 show was so great aside from the opener. Rey Escorpion's return alone made Porky finally watchable again. He beat the snot out of him. Then he took a crazy bump for Dragon Lee after they slapped the shit out of each other. But yeah that Panther Family vs Puma/Tiger/Virus trio was real good. Just great wrestling. That's all I ask for.

Man, I love these. I love watching weirdo match ups and guys bickering. I would not want it every week. And I will be the first to admit that they're not good by normal standards but once a year? I love it. It's not always about the star ratings. Sometimes it is about Rey Bucanero trying to hug Volador before the match awkwardly.

Like every single other thing CMLL does, they could be so much better. I agree with you there, but I like the little moments of brilliance.

Let me go capture a gif.

This might be the single favorite thing of mine that I have ever seen in watching lucha. Just this little moment. Not a dive or a counter or a finish, but this.

mLJAPp.gif

To be a CMLL viewer is to find your own joy in this world.

Those are true words.

In the non-CMLL world it looks like the CaraLuchas show killed it last night. Everyone raving about the Ninja Turtles match & highlights of the Neza Kings vs Indystructibles look tremendous. The entire undercard seems like spot-fu but then the main event with Rush/Sombra/UG vs Traumas/Eterno looks pretty violent from BTJr's clips. Can't wait for the full show to be available. They're back on 3/28.

i actually got a kick out of seeing Rey Bucanero try to cost Volador Jr. the tag match in the Parejas Increibles Semi-Final and then when he failed and they won, he celebrated. Bucanero's been a fun guest on CMLL Informa pointing out JCR's mistakes, joking with the rest of the guests, and being the one guy who seems to remember the past.

I really enjoyed Parejas Increibles.  Fun matches, and it set up/continued at least two feuds.  I'd be down with UG against Volador, Jr. anyday.  Volador looked like a million buck on the Lucha Azteca show.  Also loved Sombra and Negro Casas with their interactions.  When it's good, language barriers don't matter.  Fun show.

I have noticed that some of the refs are really old and painfully slow.  Are they legends or referees that have been around for a long time?  One in particular took forever to get on his knees and the three count was even slower.

my beautiful weekly TV thread, ignored!

I really enjoyed Parejas Increibles.  Fun matches, and it set up/continued at least two feuds.  

Ah, here's the problem - you're new enough to CMLL that you believe they were actually setting up things, as opposed to just screwing around to get out of these matches. Volador/Bucanero is going somewhere, because they already announced the match. None of the rest of it is actually going anywhere.

What I liked about this tournament in prior years is you had unusual teams who didn't get along, but cared so much about winning this tournament that they were going to put aside their differences and strive to win or at least not look like fools in the three minutes they made TV. It also, the last couple of years, had the bonus of being a secret preview for what would be the big feud of the year. 

This year, in Block A, most of the teams could of cared less about the competition. It makes sense to have one team fall apart to run an angle, but it felt like every first round match had one or both teams backstabbing each other, completely disinterested in winning the tournament. They didn't really progress or heat up anything - yea, we found out Dragon Lee and Kamaitachi don't like each other, but we should've know that already. We knew it's pretty fun when they fight each other, but less so when they're tag team partners and fight each other, so I would've happily taken a normal trios or something where they actually built up to attacking each other instead of rushing to do it insignificant way.

(Possibly announcing Dos Leyendas so soon hurt, but I think we've been able to work out the matches even if they weren't 'official'. Definitely running doing the final with the same four who were going to main event the show hurt, because CMLL could use another storyline right now.)

Block A was in "why do I bother watching lucha libre?" bad territory for me. I liked Block B better, because the first couple of matches actually got some time, and they calmed down all the turns. Terrible & Maximo were smart enough just to keep teasing the tension all show before finally delivering it once they had one. Bucanero was good for a laugh for celebrating the match he didn't want to win, but don't waste an hour of my time building up a show for a joke spot.

All CMLL refs are generally old. The refs generally don't have to travel much and aren't ring crew in CMLL, so they can last a lot longer. They're also basically tenure or patronage positions given to wrestlers once their wrestling career is over - once you're around for a few years, you're around for life unless you anger the wrong person or you're physically unable to do it any more*. Being bad or being too old is not a disqualifer. CMLL's a good promotion if you want to see the official photograph Tweet about how a CMLL referee is the worst referee of all time (and possibly be correct) while the show is going, and nothing seems to come of it.

* - noteable that Tigre Hispano has not returned from his most recent mishap, despite recent threats otherwise.

• Like 1