DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Can someone explain the story of El Hijo de Rey Misterio to me? What was the deal with the original guy (the actual son) having the name taken away from him and what is the story on the 2nd guy who is now wrestling as Rey Horus?

- Hijo de Rey I: gave the impression he wasn't totally into wrestling and was being used to for Sr. to make money of the name, that seemed to work for a while, then it stopped working. After he stopped wrestling, he and his (non-wrestling) brother made the papers in a bad way (fight over drugs, fight while they were on drugs or both, can't remember). Briefly came back to tease a mask vs mask match with Rey II, where he'd obviously lose, but there didn't seem to be much promoter interest in it after the first couple of matches and it's unlikely we'll see this guy agian.

- Hijo de Rey II: originally just Horuz, which caused some confusion with the CMLL guy using the same name at the same time. Worked a bit in the US even before getting the Hijo de Rey name - he was a standout flyer in Tijuana, so it seemed like he'd be able to have better matches. (Hijo de Rey I was just OK) Cover story was he was Rey Sr.'s nephew, but no one believes that. Seemed to impress in the US, but Rey Sr. also seemed to be charging an arm and leg to use him and so there were few places willing to use him at the price he was being offered. Hijo de Rey II was only getting part of that money and realized he could be booked more in the US if he was on his own, so he decided to amicability split ways and take on the new Rey Horus name. Hooked up with Bestia 666 (and Damian 666) as a regular opponent and is working a fair bit in Californias North and South now. Would fit in well with CMLL or AAA, but they don't do well with guys who have other options.

- Hijo de Rey III: introduced at the same time as Rey Horus was renamed. Hasn't really made much of an impact, people may just be over the concept. Becuase lucha posters are frequently behind the times, it's not even clear if he's the guy working when "Hijo de Rey Misterio" is listed nowadays, because it's usually with a Rey Horus-era picture. 

Ok so this might be asking for a lot but after watching the 80s lucha set there are some guys who I really want to see more of, but searching through youtube is a real hit and miss prospect. So if anyone could help me find some of the highlights of the following guys with links (if you don't want to put the links here, for whatever reason, you can PM me) I would REALLY appreciate it. The big apuestas matches are kind of no brainers to watch but knowing which trios to watch and which to skip is where things get complicated:

Perro Aguayo

Brazo de Plata

Super Astro

Blue Panther

Tony Salazar

Solar

Los Infernales (already have a good idea of what to check out for Satanico individually)

Ok so I found Alfredo's slambamjam.com site so I'll change that previous request to just giving me some highlights of stuff that made tape for the guys on that list and I'll seek it out on my own. Please and thank you :)

Are the Cage matches between Sangre Chicana & Perro Aguayo & Chicana/Vampiro any good?

If Cubs' recording worked out it's well worth watching Maximo vs Negro Casas from CMLL's show today. Only Negro Casas would have the guts (and ability) to work a match like that in front of a larger than usual CMLL crowd of non-hardcore fans who were just waiting to cheer for La Mascara doing his stripper act. It was genius and I thought a genuinely great match.

• 4 weeks later...

The ALL ELITE show is a fun watch. Top 3 matches are available here:

I probably enjoyed Sombra/Wagner vs Volador/Park way too much but that's usually how it is with those guys (Park/Wagner). They wear their welcome out real fast but a one-off is always a good watch. Casas/Fuerza started slow but I loved the 3rd fall and thought the crowd reactions were great.

AAA has been great this year, far blowing away CMLL. Was hoping more people would get into it with LU being somewhat popular these days.

That trios main event was so great b/c Toluca is the best AAA crowd with their dueling chants. Thought it was an okay match, kinda died in the middle with the weapons stuff & needing to clean the ring.

You should watch the week before which was Part 1 in the same building. The opener is awesome & others liked Angelico/Jack Evans vs Averno/Chessman more than me.

Can someone recommend me some of the best shows (AAA or CMLL) of the past fifteen years? I'm thinking what shows are largely considered the best Aniversario/Triplemania shows that would be worth going back to and having a look at.

Without going back to actually check my notes from what I recall Kron & Thor were two foreigners (I wanna say Americans but not sure) who showed up and worked as Los Vikingos I & II. They had a good look which basically just means they were big. They also claimed to have tons of wrestling experience. CMLL was desperate for anything to click and within weeks renamed them Kron & Thor (still doing the Viking gimmick). Turns out they were beyond abysmal and after 3 or 4 matches CMLL said thanks but no thanks. Reading between the lines my guess is they were just two foreigners who wanted to be stars without doing the hard work so they lied about their experience level and got busted pretty quickly. Probably didn't want to stay to get trained either.

CMLL TV was severely lacking in those days (just like today!) & they didn't dare put any of these matches on TV so there's no footage available. I may have pictures of them somewhere though but even if I can't find them it was just a generic viking gimmick so just picture that.

EDIT: Should I expect a Tony Ricco question next?

• Like 1

From the daily update, figured I'd ask about it here:

Mr. Niebla told Metro on Thursday that he is definitely out of EMLL right now and is working strictly as an independent and is also open to returning to AAA which won't happen. Niebla's story here has changed a few times but all of this went down because of how he acted while in Japan which he can get away with in Mexico but he can't embarrass the promotion there.

So what did he do in Japan? And how is it possible for Niebla to be even more obnoxious in real life than his actual character?

From the daily update, figured I'd ask about it here:

Mr. Niebla told Metro on Thursday that he is definitely out of EMLL right now and is working strictly as an independent and is also open to returning to AAA which won't happen. Niebla's story here has changed a few times but all of this went down because of how he acted while in Japan which he can get away with in Mexico but he can't embarrass the promotion there.

So what did he do in Japan? And how is it possible for Niebla to be even more obnoxious in real life than his actual character?

No one's said for sure, but everyone believes (and Niebla's implied) he got so drunk as to get kicked off the FantasticaMania tour. It's unclear if he got drunk in between shows, and it's possible he got so drunk he was in no condition to wrestle and tried to anyway. (The video of the last show he was on has not turned up, AFAIK.) Niebla has acknowledged in the past he has drinking problems and has turned it into part of his character, but alcoholism has beat him more times than he's beat it of late.