DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

I've been getting back into wrestling with lucha libre and decided to check out AAA from this year since I used to watch CMLL and thought what most people thought of AAA being garbage. I'll have to say the few matches I cherry picked from YouTube on AAA I thoroughly enjoyed them. The brawling was awesome, the crowds were load, and the craziness was awesome. I'm going to continue to check out AAA matches. It was fun to watch.

Any other good years of AAA to check out and was any of the stuff from the early 2000s late 90s (around 96-2002) worth seeing?

Two great things from cmll tonight

1. The new entrance for rush/sombra/mascara.

2. Dragon rojo jr coming out to the ghostbusters theme.

Funny how the normally-spotty Terra feed was perfect tonight, while AAA has problems with triplemania.

• 3 weeks later...

So the odds are favoring Atlantis winning? That's what the WON seemed to indicate. I'm sort of boggled by that decision in that if UG wins, they can build to him losing the mask vs Rush next year, and yeah, that'd be less important than him losing it to Atlantis, but if they're going to take the mask off him anyway, there seems a ton more value in having two big matches instead of one and it's not like Atlantis can't serve in sort of a Blue Panther role without the mask (and Dave indicated as such) and do some big celebratory tours without it or whatever. 

So the odds are favoring Atlantis winning? That's what the WON seemed to indicate. I'm sort of boggled by that decision in that if UG wins, they can build to him losing the mask vs Rush next year, and yeah, that'd be less important than him losing it to Atlantis, but if they're going to take the mask off him anyway, there seems a ton more value in having two big matches instead of one and it's not like Atlantis can't serve in sort of a Blue Panther role without the mask (and Dave indicated as such) and do some big celebratory tours without it or whatever. 

Yea, everything seems to be pointing towards Atlantis. Could still be a fakeout, but they've been too obvious with UG not just winning the Universal tournament, but beating Sombra to do it and beating Rush earlier - they're giving him the big wins to fatten him up for the bigger loss. 

I think the next big match is Atlantis against La Sombra - it would mean a lot more for Somrba than even beating UG, but there's a risk Atlantis isn't going to make it another year. He's slowing down more each year. He's not doing Undertaker WM matches, he's working a lot easier, but they're taking the risk of his body just giving out at some point and not being able to do the matches they want to do.

Yea, everything seems to be pointing towards Atlantis. Could still be a fakeout, but they've been too obvious with UG not just winning the Universal tournament, but beating Sombra to do it and beating Rush earlier - they're giving him the big wins to fatten him up for the bigger loss. 

I think the next big match is Atlantis against La Sombra - it would mean a lot more for Somrba than even beating UG, but there's a risk Atlantis isn't going to make it another year. He's slowing down more each year. He's not doing Undertaker WM matches, he's working a lot easier, but they're taking the risk of his body just giving out at some point and not being able to do the matches they want to do.

Where do you think they'll go with Rush next?

Rush vs the loser? Maaaaybe Volador? CMLL being able to draw around 13K for Rush vs Shocker and Rush vs Casas means they probably can stick around just about anyone and draw 10K if they want. Rush keeps making sure to bring up wanting a mask next, so maybe it's him (and not Sombra) vs the winner.

The way I see CMLL at the top right now is any combination of Sombra, Rush, Ultimo Guerrero and Atlantis (even after the mask match) can be put together to make a Anniversary sell out (or thereabouts), but it's more a question if CMLL is going to care about running those big matches.

CMLL's been running this video package of the last 10 losers on Anniversary shows constantly on the 52MX show (literally ten times a show) - it's supposed to get people hyped for Atlantis/UG, but it more reminds me of all the years where they don't actually feel like putting on super match. Rush's next big match might be a long time away if they don't think they have one or aren't interested in doing much.

• 3 weeks later...

How about starting off with two different style but great matches...

Titan vs Cavernario - 7/29

Sombra/Rush vs Shocker/Negro Casas - 7/18

Would surprise folks who think I'm all about the spots but I thought the 2nd match was actually the better one. Nothing wrong with the 1st though. As a primer I think you should watch their trios match from the week before (7/22) because it'll help you better understand a big part of the singles match.

You should know the AAA wrestlers Fenix, Drago, and Pentagon Jr. 

Mil Muertes is Mesias. One of the other masked dudes is Hijo del Fantasma. Johnny Mundo is Morrison. Ricochet is Prince Puma. Its not that big of a roster were you wouldn't know half the roster.  The local SoCal guys fill out the undercard. I'm guessing those are the guys most are not too familiar with.

Mascarita Sagrada's also on the roster.  Their wiki page needs a lot of work.

I went to this past Saturday's taping and I'm still not sure how that promotion will work out. It felt like a combination of LLUSA/WSX/AAA.  That could be good or bad depending on how you feel or felt about any of those promotions.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone following AAA who would be willing to give me a rundown of the current storylines? I tried to watch a little bit of the 10/11 episode but it would help me out if anyone could give me an idea of what I'm jumping into.

Main bullet points:

- Alberto El Patron recently returned to AAA. Immediatly got into a feud with Perro Aguayo Jr. but has also set his sights on taking Texano Jr.'s Mega Heavyweight Title (biggest singles title in AAA)

- Cibernetico formed his own group called Los Hell Brothers who are intended to be a tweener group. He recruited Averno & Chessman. They are feuding with the Psycho Circus (Murder/Monster/Psycho Clown) but have also picked feud with Blue Demon Jr. & possibly La Parka.

- Joe Lider recently turned rudo on Jack Evans in a trios match and joined up with Perro Aguayo Jr.'s crew as one of their henchman.

- Australian Suicide & Pentagon Jr. have been feuding for an entire year and are heading to a mask match at some point. Same goes for Aero Star/Super Fly which is a more recent feud but has been focused on a lot lately including Super Fly burning him with Aero Star's own fire can.

- Nino Hamburguesa is falling in love with Jennifer Blake. Could be leading to them challening the current mixed tag champs Pentagon Jr. & Sexy Star at some point.

That covers most of it. They just had a major show called Heroes Inmortales which starts airing on TV on November 7th (part 2 on November 14th). Their next major show is taped on December 7th with the only known match Texano Jr. defending his Mega Heavyweight Title against Alberto El Patron. Texano has been champ for 2 years. That will likely start airing only in January since AAA will have at least 4 weeks of TV tapings in the can when that show is taking place.

Since I wrote it up for the El Rey thread on the Movies and TV board I'll post it here too. 

LUCHA UNDERGROUND ON EL REY NETWORK EPISODE #1

So this is gonna be a mix of backstage segments shot like movies and matches in "the Temple". There's a heel promoter (of course) offering $100,000 or some such amount to the best wrestler at the end of the show. Announcers are Matt Striker and Vampiro. 

Blue Demon Jr. vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.: Pretty plain match. Demon is ostensibly the face but stomps hands and busts out some nasty loud slaps like a rudo, something I've seen Matt D. here complain about a lot in his lucha reviewing. Demon takes the duke. Of note: these are one-fall matches.

Konnan segment backstage with Dario Cueto (the promoter). Konnan is behind Prince Puma and Dario is behind Johnny Mundo (John Morrison). 

Puff piece on Sexy Star, her English is fair but they subtitle her anyway. She looks more ripped than I remember. They put her in an intergender match with some dude wearing a mask and beard ensemble that Striker thankfully points out is in the vein of Charlie Brown and Red River Jack (looks way more Jimmy Valiant than Bruiser Brody). He bullies Star around, they go back and forth, asshead wins by pulling the tights. If you're gonna do an intergender match with some El Duce lookin dude telling the woman to go home at least have Sexy Star win for fuck's sake. 

There was some Chavito bit backstage that I didn't pay attention to. 

Johnny Mundo vs. Prince Puma is your main event. Pretty fun match, lots of flippy spots and solid back and forth. This is technico vs. technico so nobody's heeling it up. It's good seeing Morrison again, he hasn't lost a step and there's only one minor parcour bit. Vampiro is constantly saying "bro" on commentary and says Konnan is evil. They cut a fast pace for a nice bit of time, fight around the announce table which looks like a cheap plywood box, and Mundo finally wins with his split-legged moonsault/tornillo named the End of the World. Afterwards they compliment each other and then promoter dude comes out to shake the briefcase full of money in their faces until two cholo-looking dudes and a huge black guy come to the ring for the beatdown with Cueto saying he hired the best fighters in the world, not just luchadors, and these guys work for him. Mundo takes a huge chokeslam here. 

Overall an okay start. The filmed segments are jarring but aren't as bad as TNA's pro-shot backstage crap. I'm no fan of yet another evil promoter storyline but what can you do. The ring in the Temple is ENORMOUS, I don't think I've seen one this big ever. It's a wonder Johnny and Puma didn't gas out with all the running they had to do. We'll see where this goes, they've got a lot more guys on the lineup to introduce as well as more luchadoras.

Thought the whole deal was aces. I'm in for the duration. I could go the rest of my life without seeing Konnan again, but that's a minor beef. Though I don't get the dynamic of Prince Puma as face/technico and Konnan as evil personified (according to Vampy). I also didn't realize that Spaniards were considered villainous by most Latinos... Oh, well...

Yeah that was weird. Konnan was portrayed sympathetic with the evil owner talking down to him & Konnan mentoring and up-and-comer babyface. But then Vamp buried him as someone with evil intentions using Puma for his own purposes.

It could just be Vamp being an idiot like usual but since the commentary was seemingly post-produced I wonder if he managed to talk the producers into planting seeds for a future angle. That's always Vamp's way of doing things.