DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR BEST MUSIC OF 2013 Pimping Thread

Lamp, broken circa 1988

The Body – Christs, Redeemers My favorite metal band is Neurosis, so I guess what I mean to say is “I don't like a lot of metal.” Lost in the style of all of the acts that claim them as inspirations or heroes is the atmospheric suffocation in those middle 90s Neurosis records, accomplished through their simultaneous use of samples and delicate composition, which served as bookends to the immense sonic devastation (the part a lot of bands come close to getting right). I don't know if The Body has ever cited Neurosis as a key influence, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't (especially considering that their vocal delivery is “the even crazier guy in the padded cell next to yours”). Either way, they're still the only thing I've heard that's capable of making that intensive, vile mood that Neurosis built it's reputation on. See for yourself.

That tune is pretty fucking cool. More Bloody Panda or Khanate to my ears than Neurosis, but that's not because of the vocals (have you heard Enemy of the Sun?). Unsure what “I don't like a lot of metal.” is supposed to mean in that context.

I love the hell out of Enemy of the Sun, even though most of the time I'm in absolutely no mood to hear it. So maybe it has sections like that and I've forgotten.

With the "don't like a lot of metal" comment, what I was implying is that I appreciate sound and compositional nuance (namely dynamics and the use of space as its own accent) more than musicianship. I've got no taste for the technical/melodic death sound which seems to be the bulk of the metal that's getting pimped around the here and places like rateyourmusic. I respect the musicianship, but it doesn't do anything for me emotionally or mentally.

Although I like that new Carcass record alright. It's just not because of the musicianship.

The Body – Christs, Redeemers My favorite metal band is Neurosis, so I guess what I mean to say is “I don't like a lot of metal.” Lost in the style of all of the acts that claim them as inspirations or heroes is the atmospheric suffocation in those middle 90s Neurosis records, accomplished through their simultaneous use of samples and delicate composition, which served as bookends to the immense sonic devastation (the part a lot of bands come close to getting right). I don't know if The Body has ever cited Neurosis as a key influence, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't (especially considering that their vocal delivery is “the even crazier guy in the padded cell next to yours”). Either way, they're still the only thing I've heard that's capable of making that intensive, vile mood that Neurosis built it's reputation on. See for yourself.

That tune is pretty fucking cool. More Bloody Panda or Khanate to my ears than Neurosis, but that's not because of the vocals (have you heard Enemy of the Sun?). Unsure what “I don't like a lot of metal.” is supposed to mean in that context.

I love the hell out of Enemy of the Sun, even though most of the time I'm in absolutely no mood to hear it. So maybe it has sections like that and I've forgotten.

With the "don't like a lot of metal" comment, what I was implying is that I appreciate sound and compositional nuance (namely dynamics and the use of space as its own accent) more than musicianship. I've got no taste for the technical/melodic death sound which seems to be the bulk of the metal that's getting pimped around the here and places like rateyourmusic. I respect the musicianship, but it doesn't do anything for me emotionally or mentally.

Although I like that new Carcass record alright. It's just not because of the musicianship.

*nods* I hear you. Not convinced I agree, but I understand. For most of last decade, metal was about the dynamics over the virtuosity - Neurosis, Isis, Pelican, Mouth of the Architect, Kayo Dot, sunn(o))), Boris, Jesu, The Angelic Process, Nadja, Corrupted were all ruling the roost just below the mainstream.

Maybe people here like the musicianship aspect of metal, but I've not noticed that in metal per se. Carcass are only about musicianship as far as you need to be really good to play those songs, but not in the sense of 'listen to how well we play!'. They're not Meshuggah or Cynic. But yeah, as we largely agree, I won't bang on any further.

In terms of Neurosis, off the top of my head stuff like 'Cold Ascending' and 'The Time of Beasts' are that spacious and dirty. They're amazing and raw, and a million miles away from the polished blah-ness of their last decade.

Back on topic, I finally listened to that Dillinger Escape Plan album. I may as well not have. Standard Greg-era shoutshoutshout-crooon stuff, with the standard unimpressively technical riffing (and we come full circle!). The noisy stuff hasn't moved on since 1999. The melodic stuff is still tacked on and gimmicky. Shit or get off the pot. They're the Pennywise of this generation. 

This is, I guess, where we largely differ, because shoutshoutcroon noisy into melodic is something I basically will always love if it's done relatively well, and nobody really does it better than them.

Also, most surprisingly really good album of the year.  Queensryche's (non-Geoff Tate edition) Queensryche.  Late career self-titled album from a band that really hadn't done anything good in around two decades...  And it ended up being a pretty great throwback to their glory days.

This is, I guess, where we largely differ, because shoutshoutcroon noisy into melodic is something I basically will always love if it's done relatively well, and nobody really does it better than them.

I would agree, but they've been peddling that for four albums now, to diminishing returns. How does it compare to that first Glassjaw album?

Funny joke: I thought I was all out of things to pimp, and then I found another band from my Guitar Tone Mecca in Calgary. This one's called Faux Fur, and it's eight really tightly designed devices with two great, expansive ballads. Added bonus: there's an actual blood relation to Women in this band. The drummer is the youngest Flegel brother. 

Also, here's a single from Viet Cong, which is the band that the other surviving 2/3rds of Women started. Very gothy and comparatively straightforward. Catchy, though.

PK14 – 1984 Chinese punk rock and dedicated Fugazi worship. Check it out if you are down with either idea. Kind of no use trying to sell it if neither do.

SOLD. Liking what I'm hearing a lot. I love that a Chinese punk band had the balls to call their album 1984. Dudes could get locked up for that.

My favorite punk band name: Vote Hezbollah, who are a Texas-based punk band comprised of Muslim kids.

So, would the Jai Paul album count for this as it technically "Came out" this year, even though it was an illegal leak and hasn't actually ever been released?  Because I have been spinning that like crazy lately...and by "spinning it" I mean, playing it on iTunes but you know "iTuning it" sounds pretty terrible.

I'm going to say No on Jai Paul. I took a pretty good amount of care in writing the rules in which I left out bootlegs as eligible releases, and I consider the whole scenario around the release of those songs as an unauthorized bootleg of unfinished demos. Or, put another way, I believe Jai Paul and XL are telling the truth about it being unauthorized.

I'm going to say No on Jai Paul. I took a pretty good amount of care in writing the rules in which I left out bootlegs as eligible releases, and I consider the whole scenario around the release of those songs as an unauthorized bootleg of unfinished demos. Or, put another way, I believe Jai Paul and XL are telling the truth about it being unauthorized.

Fair point, just curious, especially as Pitchfork had it in their 'Best of' list, but I totally understand.

Fuck I'm late to this, but I'll throw up a Top 30 I made in early December in the morning. The Body is most definitely on there. I bought the record in October and spun it non-stop around Halloween. It's tortured and amazing. Their back catalog is worth checking out, too.

My favorite metal record of the yet was definitely Power Trip's "Manifest Density", though. Brutal Texas thrash that sounds like it was recorded in a cave.

Y'all were also pimping Run the Jewels, who put on bar none the best rap show I've ever seen. Mohawk in Austin, in early August, I think. The RtJ part was the best, but Mike's solo set where he played "Ric Flair" and had the whole crowd chanting "Fuck Hulk Hogan" was surreal.

Fair point, just curious, especially as Pitchfork had it in their 'Best of' list, but I totally understand.

It's in Fact's list too. 

I only listen to country & in my book discussion begins & ends with Kacey Musgraves' "Same Trailer, Different Park".  Whenever there were award nominations announced, if that wasn't up for Album of the Year, I automatically discounted the whole awards show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of things that, for various reasons, probably aren't eligible but are well worth pimping anyway:

Belle And Sebastian - The Third Eye Center

Collects some various B-sides, discarded tracks from their last couple of albums, and some remixes.  B & S often put out short EPs and singles of stuff that don't end up on proper albums, and occasionally they round some of that stuff up.  This is more or less that, and it's pretty much all good stuff, as fitting for the best (or, at least, my favorite) indie guitar pop band in the world.

On Air - The Beatles Live at the BBC Vol 2

More Beatles original songs than the covers that dominated the first set way back when, and a lot of on-air banter, sketches, etc.  But officially unreleased recordings of John, Paul, George and Ringo?  Yes please.  There is an absolute killer take on Chuck Berry's Memphis, Tennessee that challenges the Godly version by The Animals for my all-time favorite take on the song.   On a purely musical level, it was actually my favorite thing released in 2013, but, clearly, not eligible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna do a top five for me this year.

1. Da Mafia Six - The Six Commandments

I was not expecting this to happen at all. I had written off everybody involved with Hypnotize Minds besides Lil Wyte. Paul and Juice went super shitty after they won the grammy. Lord Infamous was putting out decent stuff, but nothing like what he once was. Gangsta Boo wasn't doing much, and lord knows what Crunchy and Koopsta were doing. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard they were doing this cd, and happy that Juice wasn't going to be involved. It turns out that this cd is probably the best thing anybody involved has done since at least Unbreakables. It features great guest spots with Yelawolf and Bone Thugs. It is easily the best produced rap cd of the year, and made me love Three Six again. 

Juice Mane actually made a surprise appearance in the Body Parts 4 posse song.

I'm gonna do a top five for me this year.

1. Da Mafia Six - The Six Commandments

I was not expecting this to happen at all. I had written off everybody involved with Hypnotize Minds besides Lil Wyte. Paul and Juice went super shitty after they won the grammy. Lord Infamous was putting out decent stuff, but nothing like what he once was. Gangsta Boo wasn't doing much, and lord knows what Crunchy and Koopsta were doing. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard they were doing this cd, and happy that Juice wasn't going to be involved. It turns out that this cd is probably the best thing anybody involved has done since at least Unbreakables. It features great guest spots with Yelawolf and Bone Thugs. It is easily the best produced rap cd of the year, and made me love Three Six again. 

Juice Mane actually made a surprise appearance in the Body Parts 4 posse song.

I actually meant as far as being involved with the production or the overall feel of the cd.

As of right now, Run the Jewels has kinda overtaken the new Three Six as my favorite cd of 2013. Been listening to it quite frequently for a coupla months now, and it is pretty boss. No Come Down and A Christmas Fucking Miracle are the standout songs for me. Killer Mike's parts especially.

Justin Bieber released "My Journals" at end of December and it is really shockingly good. I think the R Kelly tune is the only real miss. But for Blue eyed soul it is really miles ahead of Timberlake's 20/20 Experience. I have no idea why Beiber would want to make a dark prickly less accesable "mature" album (collection of singles). And I don't want to oversell it as the "Third/Sister Lovers" of 21st Century tween pop blue eyed soul, but it's an experiment that I enjoyed a bunch and think other people will to.

For Jazz, I really liked Allen Lowe's "Mulatto Radio:Field Recordings 1-4" which has the last work of Kalaparusha on it.
Los Siquicos Litoralenos "Cinta Planetaria" is pretty high end pschadelic noise from rural Argentina.

Le Grande Kalle "His Life,his music" is an amazing compilation of Congolese Music of the 60s.