DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You mean Reginald Denny? They didn't have to be from LA to do that. 

Most of their attitude wasn't Los Angeles centric. That's my point. It would be like taking a slice of Pizza Hut and saying, "yup, this is straight from the heart of Brooklyn." Yeah, it's still pizza but it certainly ain't from Brooklyn. But I mean that's where all pizza is made right...Brooklyn? No one else makes pizza.

I mean black people been in the country since 1619 but apparently tag team wrestling in 1995 tells you they only reside in Harlem or South Central. All 30 million+ of us were just in those two places magically.

What if it was a slice of the Big New Yorker pizza from Pizza Hut? AUTENTICO! ESPECIALLY WITH PEPSI!

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

What if it was a slice of the Big New Yorker pizza from Pizza Hut? AUTENTICO! ESPECIALLY WITH PEPSI!

It either was a boxing match or an episode of like Shotgun Saturday Night I was watching, but all I know is the commercials were still left in and one of them was for the Big New Yorker. I would have you know this was right around time recently when they brought back the Big New Yorker.

These sumbitches somehow triggered my impulse buying several years after the fact. Goddamn Pizza Hut.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It either was a boxing match or an episode of like Shotgun Saturday Night I was watching, but all I know is the commercials were still left in and one of them was for the Big New Yorker. I would have you know this was right around time recently when they brought back the Big New Yorker.

These sumbitches somehow triggered my impulse buying several years after the fact. Goddamn Pizza Hut.

It's the sweet sauce that does the trick, really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

In the 90s, the only place where you could bill a team of black gang members from and have them feel legitimate would either be South Central or Compton. Early 90s had the LA Riots and then Death Row took over pop culture for a while.

“You see, Snoop Doggy Dogg has a lot of family from Mississippi so the idea of billing this wrestler from the South as being from South Central works”

”well, true..”

(Along with all the other famous people whose families went from the South to California)

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

SRS is pretty good for the most part. The other guy that works for PWI, the one that doesn't own the site, isn't bad. The rest though? Yeesh.

I think you mean Mike Johnson and yea he is kind of the heir to Dave that Alvarez failed to be. 

The Dominator was the best move nobody ever uses (along with the shoulderbreaker [Edge did it though recently!] and Scott Steiner's backflip fallaway slam) so this ties back into wrestling, neato

If you follow the Dinosaur Dracula page on Facebook you will see so many goddamn forgotten foods of the '80s and '90s. I think the dude collects McDonald's styrofoam containers and Chef Boyardee cans, ffs. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

“You see, Snoop Doggy Dogg has a lot of family from Mississippi so the idea of billing this wrestler from the South as being from South Central works”

”well, true..”

(Along with all the other famous people whose families went from the South to California)

I wonder how much of this would have changed if it wasn't a bunch of white dudes from the South in creative. 

If Henry Godwinn and Jeff Jarrett in 1996 were out there as a hog farmer and fake country music star respectively, but both sounded like William H. Macy in Fargo, would the antennas go up? I mean as a black person in 1996, I probably wouldn't have made that distinction until the film came out having never heard anyone speak from that part of the country speak. However, by 1994-1995, you got so many black people from across the country on TV that you can get a good taste of black vernacular from across segments of the country. Where do people think Jesse Jackson was from? He ain't from Queens. Now Al Sharpton? Yeah, I can buy him from that part of the country. Probably cause he is lol.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Dominator was the best move nobody ever uses (along with the shoulderbreaker [Edge did it though recently!] and Scott Steiner's backflip fallaway slam) so this ties back into wrestling, neato

If you follow the Dinosaur Dracula page on Facebook you will see so many goddamn forgotten foods of the '80s and '90s. I think the dude collects McDonald's styrofoam containers and Chef Boyardee cans, ffs. 

I feel like the Dominator is a rough bump to take in the best of circumstances, with a high chance of getting spiked like a football if the dude slips.

I grew up just down the street from Pizza Hut headquarters so we were the test market for a bunch of stuff in the 90s.  I wish I had pictures of the concept "upscale" Pizza Hut Cafe they opened by the mall.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He does. I've been following him since his X-Entertainment days and remember when he bought expired Pac-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pasta from a bodega, then twenty years later revealed that he still had it. Nothing about him surprises me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Asking Jim Cornette to be nuanced is a losing battle. That's all I'm saying. 

You say that but he understood the difference between Texas and Tennessee. He used that in Smoky Mountain. Matter of fact, he's able to exploit the regions of Tennessee cause when he's using Lawler for example, he can have him ridicule other parts of Tennessee that ain't Memphis. It's VERY nuanced cause if you live outside of where SMW was running, it makes zero sense to you cause it's just all hillbillies and coal miners and rednecks.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder how much of this would have changed if it wasn't a bunch of white dudes from the South in creative. 

If Henry Godwinn and Jeff Jarrett in 1996 were out there as a hog farmer and fake country music star respectively, but both sounded like William H. Macy in Fargo, would the antennas go up? I mean as a black person in 1996, I probably wouldn't have made that distinction until the film came out having never heard anyone speak from that part of the country speak. However, by 1994-1995, you got so many black people from across the country on TV that you can get a good taste of black vernacular from across segments of the country. Where do people think Jesse Jackson was from? He ain't from Queens. Now Al Sharpton? Yeah, I can buy him from that part of the country. Probably cause he is lol.

You don't even need to do a hypothetical for that, Bill Irwin had one of the thickest Minnesotan accents ever but played a cowboy for so much of his career that people thought it was weird that he became a hockey player in 1996 WWF. I distinctly remember people of the time saying "what is this guy from Texas doing playing a hockey player".

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You say that but he understood the difference between Texas and Tennessee. He used that in Smoky Mountain. Matter of fact, he's able to exploit the regions of Tennessee cause when he's using Lawler for example, he can have him ridicule other parts of Tennessee that ain't Memphis. It's VERY nuanced cause if you live outside of where SMW was running, it makes zero sense to you cause it's just all hillbillies and coal miners and rednecks.

Also the Tennessee vs Alabama rivalry, especially once they were using former UT player Doug Furnas.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I guess I meant nuanced about black people. Especially considering his audience. 

I get that from the point of view Jack explaining how Cornette wanted it to be the Gangsters and Jack was like it should be the "Gangstas". From that perspective, yes. However, it's still the same dude who listens to the SOS Band and Rick James. He has his blindspots definitely, but he was savvy enough to understand certain differences. Like DMN said, South Central would be the thing to do but they literally could have been from anywhere. Same with Harlem Heat. 

And by 1994/95, OJ was dominating news then. The Gulf War was a big deal three or four years earlier, but you didn't get too many Gulf War references in 1995.

Also, when Farooq was out there a year or so later doing his black nationalist bit, he wasn't dressed like a Pasadena Denver Lane. And it's not like the WWF audience is just that much smarter than someone from West Virginia or East Tennessee. 

So did white people gain a new understanding of black people within a calendar year?