DVDVR Message Board

2024 Joshi Discussion Thread

Stefanie Sparkleface

What the hell's the deal with this PPP Tokyo show on 3/5?  They're filming that right?  I gotta see Saya Iida vs. Kaho Kobayashi.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:39 PM, assfax said:

What the hell's the deal with this PPP Tokyo show on 3/5?  They're filming that right?  I gotta see Saya Iida vs. Kaho Kobayashi.

PPP Tokyo has been putting most of their recent events free on Youtube, so as long as its not a 'rights' issue using a Stardom wrestler (which I wouldn't think there would be) it hopefully will air.

27 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

PPP Tokyo has been putting most of their recent events free on Youtube, so as long as its not a 'rights' issue using a Stardom wrestler (which I wouldn't think there would be) it hopefully will air.

Are they still playing the music during the matches? That is an interesting presentation choice.

The top three matches for the next Korakuen for Ice Ribbon on 3/23 are set. In addition to Hamuko Hoshi challenging her daughter Ibuki for the Infinity title, Kyuuri and Mifu Ashida will make their first defense of the International Ribbon Tag Titles against Yuna Manase and Totoro Satsuki, also known as BIG DEKAI. BIG DEKAI recently won a trios match teaming with Asuka Fujitaki over Kyuuri, Mifu, and Ancham, and made the challenge official after their win.

The third match is for the Triangle Ribbon, and settles some controversy surrounding that title. When Yuuki Mashiro came back, she proclaimed she still had the physical title belt and was still the champion, and started carrying it around with her at shows. She insisted that her reign continue from when she was retired. MIO, however, said that retirement ended her reign as champion. Finally, a decision was made, and Mashiro is not the champion. She will, however, get the chance to be the champion again, as the belt is on the line in a decision match, with Mashiro going against her mentor Makoto, as well as Kaho Matsushita. Since it's a decision match, there will be no time limit, as opposed to the customary 15 minute time limit. 

Tsukasa Fujimoto's maternity leave has ended - for administrative duties, anyway. She was announced today as Ice Ribbon's new public relations manager, starting with tomorrow's dojo show. All signs indicate that MIO will remain the director of player relations as a result. The announcement also asked fans to "please wait a while before returning to the ring", so that is another tease that an in-ring return is coming.

They also announced that their amateur class, Pro Wrestling Circle, is holding a public exhibition on 3/31. Four trainees are involved. It's the first time in a long while there's been one of these shows, which were basically discontinued due to the pandemic, and it's good to see that there are a few wrestlers potentially in the pipeline to add to Ice Ribbon's roster if they ever decide to graduate from the amateur class.

Cinderella tournament night 1 results + thoughts. There is some big future match news coming out of this, I'll leave it in the spoiler for now

Spoiler

Pre-show: Suzu Suzuki def. AZM, Mei Seira, Mai Sakurai, Ami Sohrei, MIRAI, Waka Tsukiyama & Hazuki

Future title: Rina def. Miran

Cinderella Tournament Round 1:

Starlight Kid def. Yuzuki

Sayaka Kurara def. Natsuko Tora

Yuna Mizumori def. Lady C

Xena def. Momo Kohgo

Miyu Amasaki def. Ranna Yagami

Ruaka def. Koguma

Saya Iida def. Saki Kashima

Hanan def. Hanako

Trios tag:

Giulia/Syuri/Konami def. Stephanie Vaquer/Momo Watanabe/Fukigen Death

Natsupoi return match:

Sareee/Chihiro Hashimoto def. Natsupoi/Saori Anou

All-Star 3-way tag:

Maika/Mina Shirakawa def. Mayu Iwatani/Tam Nakano and AZM/Saya Kamitani

-----

Cinderella Tournament 2nd round matches:

March 10th

MIRAI vs Hanan

Suzu Suzuki vs Starlight Kid

Mei Seira vs Saya Iida

Ami Sohrei vs Yuna Mizumori

March 16th

Waka Tsukiyama vs Xena

Hazuki vs Ruaka

AZM vs Sayaka Kurara

Mai Sakurai vs Miyu Amasaki

-----

Sareee challenged Mayu for the IWGP title at All Star Grand Queendom on April 27

Maika challenged Utami Hayashishita (not 100% sure if this is for the red belt?) on March 20

-----

Well, that was a super fun show IMO. The absence of draws and nonsensical results (I guess you could put Tora here but it is at least in character) was welcome and the tournament had some fun matches. In particular Yuzuki looked great against SLK and Hanan vs Hanako needs to happen again as they beat the tar out of each other.

Giulia vs Vaquer showed some promising glimpses, that should be very very interesting for tomorrow. Great seeing Konami back and the 3 of them worked really well together. And it might be my imagination but Momo looked pretty strong in this one (?)

Tagpoi was excellent, was like Natsupoi had never been away and they all meshed really well together. Hash in particular looked incredible in this one. I know people are super excited for Sareee vs Mayu and they really should be, that could be an all-timer.

Main was super fun chaos, given they probably had to re-work it on short notice with Utami's absence I thought it flowed incredibly well.

In not really spoilery news they announced the 5 Star will be held between 10-31 August. So there will almost certainly be format changes of some description

Edited by Mr. Monday Morning

Stardom at Korakuen spoilers.

Spoiler

Stephanie Vaquer is the new NJPW Strong Joshi champion. Oedo Tai jumped Giulia after the match. Mai, Suzu, Mei, and Tam came to save. Tam also challenged Giulia for one more match.

Edited by Ace

Ice Ribbon will (finally) be back at Ueno Park on May 19! Prior to 2020, this was a week-long summer set of shows for Ice Ribbon and usually trends somewhat ridiculous. This year it looks like it's just one show, but either way, it's good to see them going back after years of being away.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:49 AM, Ace said:

Stardom at Korakuen spoilers.

Hide contents

Stephanie Vaquer is the new NJPW Strong Joshi champion. Oedo Tai jumped Giulia after the match. Mai, Suzu, Mei, and Tam came to save. Tam also challenged Giulia for one more match.

Spoiler

Ending for the Strong match was super weird and deflating unfortunately. Still, they got the belt off her, I guess it depends how much Mercedes is planning on doing outside of AEW at this point as to what happens with it.

Not to mention Mirai's reign of terror over the Cinderella is over, great win for Hanan. Will be very telling what happens between her and SLK. I think that's it for now, a big statement win against a former White belt holder is nothing to be sniffed at, she doesn't need the whole tourney on top.

4 hours ago, quackhell said:

While it is a great get for Stardom, I am really going to miss her in other promotions. Especially Oz Academy where she gets to have fun heeling it up in Ozaki-gun.

I do wonder if she actually won't wrestle anywhere else. Bushiroad seems pretty open to working with other groups if how they handle New Japan is any proof; Stardom's isolation seems like it was due to Rossy. It will be very interesting to see how cooperative Stardom will be post-Rossy, and I'd like to see how that goes before I write off Saori as being gone from Oz for good. This could easily be Saori making Stardom her priority and letting them handle her outside bookings (especially since Oz only runs 20-ish shows a year, so letting her work a handful might not be out of the question).

• Like 1

More names announced for the Stardom Philly show

Complete lineup:

Maika

Mina Shirakawa

Tam Nakano

SAKI

Mayu Iwatani

Momo Kohgo

Syuri

Konami

Saki Kashima

AZM

Saya Kamitani

Starlight Kid

Momo Watanabe

Mei Seira

Mariah May

Xia Brookside

Willow Nightingale

Ram Kaichow

Stephanie Vaquer

Not sure about KoMomo as she's meant to be injured, but maybe its not that bad.

Some notable absences, obviously, but could be for any number of reasons. Saori does stick out a bit given she's been working the US semi-regularly - I can't keep track of who's been caught up in the whole visa mess though.

23 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I do wonder if she actually won't wrestle anywhere else. Bushiroad seems pretty open to working with other groups if how they handle New Japan is any proof; Stardom's isolation seems like it was due to Rossy. It will be very interesting to see how cooperative Stardom will be post-Rossy, and I'd like to see how that goes before I write off Saori as being gone from Oz for good. This could easily be Saori making Stardom her priority and letting them handle her outside bookings (especially since Oz only runs 20-ish shows a year, so letting her work a handful might not be out of the question).

Yeah, Oz runs once, maybe twice a month and Saori has been on almost every show since she started with Stardom. It helps that Oz does the majority of their shows in Tokyo. It's only a one-year contract so maybe it's there to off-set whoever leaves in April. The two of the bigger text blurbs from the article state that the main difference for her is that she won't be considered "free" for the time being and that in a year she may feel differently.

Not sure how long to leave for Cinderella spoilers? I'll put it in anyway to be safe

Spoiler

Congrats go to Hanan, who announced she'll challenge for the White belt. Assuming that'll happen fairly soon as I'm not sure its quite up to All-Star Grand Queendom levels - would've thought that would be where they do Saori - Poi

Meltz has dropped a slight update but it's nothing that people won't have figured out. Utami, Mirai, Suzu likely leaving with Giulia, Tall Saya and Syuri staying, etc.

We probably won't really know for sure for another few months. But it seems like a) Okada has managed to convince at least a couple to stay who were minded to go, at least for now, and b) we'll likely see a lot more movement in and out of Stardom if Rossy establishes his new thing. Wouldn't be surprising if some left and then came back in future.

Mai did say she was gonna follow Giulia after all. And smol Saya becomes the Stars pin eater once again.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1