DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2024

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d not a Gail devotee, but I think she’ll be an interesting person to have writing an X book. 

To me, this seems like it is exactly the kind of book she's best at--a bunch of weirdos who are all too horny and for whom you need a Mulder corkboard to keep track of both sexual and non-sexual relationships

• Thanks 2

The announcement I'm most awaiting is the next creative team on The Amazing Spider-Man. Zeb Wells run is not only the worst in the book's history, it's one of if not the worst comic book run I've ever read. Get rid of Nick Lowe at the same time. I'd love Grant Morrison as he's written two of the big three but that isn't happening, he'd be my first choice by far. Nor is Christopher Yost, unfortunately. So underrated. Al Ewing is a possibility. For art, Elena Casagrande and Patrick Gleason.

Thank fuck there's now an alternative to TASM in Ultimate Spider-Man by Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

To me, this seems like it is exactly the kind of book she's best at--a bunch of weirdos who are all too horny and for whom you need a Mulder corkboard to keep track of both sexual and non-sexual relationships

her Secret 6 run is fantastic, isn't it? you framing her upcoming X-Men stint as relative to that could not excite me more. [Reader, you make your own determination if i mean that in a sexual or non-sexual way]

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

her Secret 6 run is fantastic, isn't it? you framing her upcoming X-Men stint as relative to that could not excite me more. [Reader, you make your own determination if i mean that in a sexual or non-sexual way]

Settle down, twiztoretico. ;).

• Haha 2

The comic book version of the X-Men and Spider-Man 90s cartoon universe took place in the sixth cosmos, before the 7th cosmos and before 616 existed. Galactus was a fictional character. Also, where Galan from Taa survived and later became the current Galactus of Universe 616. Nowadays, Marvel core titles are set in the 8th cosmos post Secret Wars.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-TRN566

Below in the link, the 90's cartoon universe, the universe where the upcoming X-Men 97 cartoon also takes place in

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-92131

Bunch of other versions exist. 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:07 PM, odessasteps said:

Was thinking today about the Latverian national futbol team. What formation do they play? Would even Dr. Doom hire JoseMourinho as his coach? Is he pro or anti using his team for sportswashing? Would he ever bid to host the World Cup? 

I presume it's all Doombots just like the teachers at Latveria's superhero school, and they're locked out of the World Cup which Doom sees as a deliberate insult directed at him.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:19 PM, odessasteps said:

I’d not a Gail devotee, but I think she’ll be an interesting person to have writing an X book. 

What has she been doing the past 10-16 years?  I haven’t seen much from her since she left DC, aside from some low-profile gigs like Tomb Raider & Red Sonja which didn’t make a lot of waves.  I’ll probably check out her X-Men book, but I feel like she’s either not going to stick around long or it will be a James Robinson situation where the later output seems well below what they did at their peak (imo).

That said, I will most likely give it a try because Secret Six was really that good.  New direction doesn’t do much for me though.  It seems like a conscious attempt to channel the 90’s right down to the logos.  Not sure that will be interesting to me, aside from a little curiosity about why they’re going that route.  I feel like the X-books might be in a catch 22 situation.  Krakoa really wasn’t my thing, but it was ambitious and different, so it’s going to be tough to follow that no matter what they do without feeling like the line is going backwards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

What has she been doing the past 10-16 years?  I haven’t seen much from her since she left DC, aside from some low-profile gigs like Tomb Raider & Red Sonja which didn’t make a lot of waves.  I’ll probably check out her X-Men book, but I feel like she’s either not going to stick around long or it will be a James Robinson situation where the later output seems well below what they did at their peak (imo).

That said, I will most likely give it a try because Secret Six was really that good.  New direction doesn’t do much for me though.  It seems like a conscious attempt to channel the 90’s right down to the logos.  Not sure that will be interesting to me, aside from a little curiosity about why they’re going that route.  I feel like the X-books might be in a catch 22 situation.  Krakoa really wasn’t my thing, but it was ambitious and different, so it’s going to be tough to follow that no matter what they do without feeling like the line is going backwards.

I think she's done some TV stuff the last five or so years.

Hadda is a real word, I read it from a comic book. Thanks fellow Canadian Wolverine.

Anywayz the Backup Beast is a clone, his memories date back to the New Defenders days. The real Beast is evil and probably will be killed off soon, maybe?

The Dark Beast (from the AoA universe ) is just a severed head kept alive.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:56 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

So what people were hoping Krakoa would be when "Get preggers" was the national motto and Scott, Jean, and Logan had a throuple room layout with the implication Scott was also hooking up with Emma on the side. 

On 3/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, The Natural said:

The announcement I'm most awaiting is the next creative team on The Amazing Spider-Man. Zeb Wells run is not only the worst in the book's history, it's one of if not the worst comic book run I've ever read. Get rid of Nick Lowe at the same time. I'd love Grant Morrison as he's written two of the big three but that isn't happening, he'd be my first choice by far. Nor is Christopher Yost, unfortunately. So underrated. Al Ewing is a possibility. For art, Elena Casagrande and Patrick Gleason.

Thank fuck there's now an alternative to TASM in Ultimate Spider-Man by Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto.

I think Wells run is...fine. I get what it's going for and a lot of the critiques it gets, I don't think are super valid. That said, I hate how so many runs are being built around teasing MJ and Peter getting married again only to yank the football away, Peanuts style at the 11th hour.

I've accepted that they're never going to do MJ/Peter as *that* kind of thing again and that broadly, modern Peter stories don't do much for me because the attempts to give him trials similar to when he was 16 or 21 at like 30-35 make him look like a very different kind of loser. As maddening as the drive to status quo can be for characters like Batman or Superman, for Peter it just really makes him feel like a manchild after a point. I'd much prefer him getting to become something like what Superman is now with the wife and kid and let Miles be the Spidey for young people, but editorial is determined that it can't happen so here we are.

What sucks is that with this specific run and New 52 Superman both, instead of having the former "True" love interest just...move on and be a character in a different way, they create tension by pairing them with a character who seemingly exists just to make the reader mad that they're dating the former romantic lead instead of the protagonist. The determination to write it in this weird kind of cuckold by proxy way just makes it annoying and harder to actually move on from things. People were less hung up on MJ during Brand New Day when the focus was on Peter doing new things and MJ being a supporting character. Slott kept that going, but Spencer seemingly tried to get Marvel to flag by setting stuff up (similar to what Tynion and Snyder successfully did with Cass Cain, Spoiler, Tim as Robin, and to an extent, Oracle) but they didn't. That said, they saw the news articles and sales going along with the speculation and now we can't escape this, with Beyond and now the Wells run both using it as a core element. 

I don't think Wells is the problem on this, but that element of his run and the *bizarre* choice to kill Ms. Marvel in it are overshadowing the good and interesting stuff in there. (like the Norman stuff, the gang war, the Black Cat stuff for a bit, etc) 

My concern is that they'll throw a new writer on it and a lot of the same problems will just still be happening. 

It is what it is though. I can always read older stuff I've missed, Ultimate Spidey, or Miles/Gwen/Silk/etc. books which still hit the Spider vibe without the baggage.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:53 AM, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

Gail's Tomb Raider and Red Sonja both got a lot of love at the time. It just depended where you were plugged in. Red Sonja especially was the first run in YEARS to get attention beyond its usual audience and the Swords of Sorrow event that spun out of it was one of Dynamite's bigger licensed successes. She did a really fun Domino series too which had similar energy to her Secret Six run. She also did some indie stuff like Crosswind and Leaving Megalopolis which caught some immediate press but got lost in the 2010s Image explosion or Seven Days which didn't get a ton of promo because it was part of the Catalyst Prime launch that sort of fizzled. Otherwise she's been doing small bits and pieces here and there while getting more TV gigs and apparently doing a lot more video game stuff. 

She's still as good as ever, and I'm excited to see her working on a bigger scale project again after a few years of experimental stuff and playing in other mediums. 

EDIT: I forgot Clean Room, which was one of the best Vertigo books barely anybody read and tbh is a top 5 work from Gail imo.

Edited by The Unholy Dragon
  • Like 2

Ultimate Spider-Man #4 preview:

https://cdn.marvel.com/content/1x_masonry/ultsm2024004_interiora.jpg

https://cdn.marvel.com/content/1x_masonry/ultsm2024004_interiora.jpg

https://cdn.marvel.com/content/1x_masonry/ultsm2024004_interiorc.jpg

"In this exciting new universe, Gwen never met a tragic fate. Instead, she married Harry Osborn and now co-runs Oscorp Industries. Learn more about this ambitious power couple when the Parkers and Osborns go on a double date!

Amidst cocktails, small talk is quickly dispersed as this fearless foursome discuss exposing the dark corruption that shaped their world. Little do they all know that the two men at the table have already taken matters into their own hands by suiting up as the vigilantes Spider-Man and Green Goblin!"

---

Nice one. Marco Checchetto is missed on art though. It's guest artist David Messina for this issue and the next before Checchetto returns.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:54 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

I think Wells run is...fine. I get what it's going for and a lot of the critiques it gets, I don't think are super valid. That said, I hate how so many runs are being built around teasing MJ and Peter getting married again only to yank the football away, Peanuts style at the 11th hour.

I've accepted that they're never going to do MJ/Peter as *that* kind of thing again and that broadly, modern Peter stories don't do much for me because the attempts to give him trials similar to when he was 16 or 21 at like 30-35 make him look like a very different kind of loser. As maddening as the drive to status quo can be for characters like Batman or Superman, for Peter it just really makes him feel like a manchild after a point. I'd much prefer him getting to become something like what Superman is now with the wife and kid and let Miles be the Spidey for young people, but editorial is determined that it can't happen so here we are.

What sucks is that with this specific run and New 52 Superman both, instead of having the former "True" love interest just...move on and be a character in a different way, they create tension by pairing them with a character who seemingly exists just to make the reader mad that they're dating the former romantic lead instead of the protagonist. The determination to write it in this weird kind of cuckold by proxy way just makes it annoying and harder to actually move on from things. People were less hung up on MJ during Brand New Day when the focus was on Peter doing new things and MJ being a supporting character. Slott kept that going, but Spencer seemingly tried to get Marvel to flag by setting stuff up (similar to what Tynion and Snyder successfully did with Cass Cain, Spoiler, Tim as Robin, and to an extent, Oracle) but they didn't. That said, they saw the news articles and sales going along with the speculation and now we can't escape this, with Beyond and now the Wells run both using it as a core element. 

I don't think Wells is the problem on this, but that element of his run and the *bizarre* choice to kill Ms. Marvel in it are overshadowing the good and interesting stuff in there. (like the Norman stuff, the gang war, the Black Cat stuff for a bit, etc) 

My concern is that they'll throw a new writer on it and a lot of the same problems will just still be happening. 

It is what it is though. I can always read older stuff I've missed, Ultimate Spidey, or Miles/Gwen/Silk/etc. books which still hit the Spider vibe without the baggage.

I felt Nick Spencer's TASM run was leading towards Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson properly getting together again. The first half of the run was better than the second with the Kindred mystery. The second half felt rushed with editorial mandate. Thanks for reminding me about Ms Marvel getting killed off, that was one of the worst comic book deaths ever. Like you, I can re-read old Spider-Man stories and newer, well the latter is limiting as my local comic book shop of ten years closes next week which I'm gutted by. I fucking hate Silk though.

There's more info out there about the upcoming X-Men line. No reboot, which is obviously what Hickman wouldn't do.

OMD and Secret Wars erased some things out. While the Spider-Man Chapter One stories were relegated to Earth-98121. Sometimes events and history do get removed. The sliding timescale does it too in it's own way.

Edited by Kang

Marvel June solicts

Avengers team is

Spoiler

Cap America, Hazmat, Hercules, female Hawleye. During Blood Hunt.

Ultimate line and the X-Men team 

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ultimate-universe-june-2024-titles-spider-man-x-men-black-panther

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/03/21/marvel-ultimate-universe-x-men-and-more/

Spoiler

Team seems to be all girls.

Armor, Surge, Nico, Mori and Natsu. I guessing one is Rouge on one of the covers. 

Heir of Apocalypse series. Some spoliers on the covers and solicts.

Viz is reprinting the X-Men Manga. The manga covered the first two seasons of the 90's cartoon. But the adaptation isn't 100 percent the same.  There was also a manga tie-in to the X-Men Children of the Atom arcade game, but I doubt if the tie-in will ever be reprinted

Been many attempts of dabbling X-Men with the style of Manga in the past.

3 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

So all is forgiven for G.O.D.S. not living up to the hype machine?

Is it wrong I’d still to see Hickman write at least one LSH story.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought it was supoosed to happen before but didn’t for some reason.

I had remembered it was a money thing but looking into it, it's basically Bendis went to DC right when Hickman's contract was up and Marvel basically went to him, "What would it take for you to stay?" Hickman basically says there is an alternate reality where instead of doing X-Men, he ends up doing New Gods and LoSH.

I know variant covers are all the rage again, but was confused when I saw a Disney-fired cover of Avengers 16 and then picked it up to look at it and it was an issue of spider-man. Not even an issue of Avengers. Strange. 

• Like 1